Any cyclists?
Do we got any member's who cycle as their other hobby?
Just bought me a new gravel bike after a 4 year break from cycling. I almost forgot how much i missed cycling after i had couple of surgery's and had to take a break, now im back enyoing it pretty much.

Gesendet von meinem MAR-LX1A mit Tapatalk
[Image: ulaodpa5218.png]
Board: Winmau Blade 5 DC
Darts : Cosmo Cyclone Mickey Mansell 23.9 g 
I used to race road (mostly crits here in So Cal) and also track.  That was almost 40 years ago, now I just ride for fun, commute, and sometimes ride with the wifey.  Haven't been on the bike since this Covid 19 outbreak, but every time I get on the bike I remember how much I like it, thanks for the reminder.  My son also builds high end custom carbon race bikes and components, had a set of bars in the last Olympics (track).
I try to get in 100 - 150 miles a week on my road bike to counteract the effects of my third hobby - ale consumption.
(05-04-2020, 04:40 PM)bogeyman Wrote: I try to get in 100 - 150 miles a week on my road bike to counteract the effects of my third hobby - ale consumption.

Which presumably goes hand in hand with your first
DARTS-Unicorn Taylor Phase 5 / Target Gen1 26g
SHAFTS-Unicorn Gripper 4 Elements (Long)
FLIGHTS-Unicorn Chris Dobey Big Wing 100g Micron
BOARD-Winmau blade 5 dual core
BOARD-Winmau Diamond (for practice)
BOARD-unicorn eclipse HD trainer board (for a laugh)
SET UP-Wall mounted cabinet
HA'WAY THE TOON  Smile

[Image: ZL8JXbT.png]
(05-04-2020, 04:40 PM)bogeyman Wrote: I try to get in 100 - 150 miles a week on my road bike to counteract the effects of my third hobby - ale consumption.

Is that a long weekend club ride with a couple of shorter rides mid-week?
When I was on my road bike regularly that is the kind of mileage I was riding every week.   My long ride was 50 miles out and back and it was atop the levee of the Mississippi River on a blacktop bike path.   The nice thing was no cars other than the occasional business on the river side of the levee that had trucks crossing over the thing.

My shorter rides were in the 20 mile range and navigated over roadways with designated bike paths, but as a rider you know the dangers of that type of road negotiation with impatient drivers who really don't seem to like cyclists.

I always like to ride alone and never in a group.   That way I can go as fast or slow as I want and stop and go when I want, and usually on my rides I'd not stop until I had completed the ride.
gumbo2176
(05-04-2020, 08:40 PM)Levonster Wrote:

Is that a long weekend club ride with a couple of shorter rides mid-week?
I typically do a few 25-30 milers during the week and then a 40-50 on the weekend.
I've taken the plunge and bought a road bike. I got hooked on the sport from watching the Tour de France, Giro d'Italia and Vuelta de Espana over the last 5 years and no idea how I've missed the sport for so long.

I have no illusions of doing anything other then riding for pleasure - far too fat, far too old - but love being out an about on my bike when my knee isnt playing up.

That said, I have foolishly signed up to do the annual Manchester to Blackpool bike ride in aid of the Christie Hospital (that's about 60 miles / 95km apparently) in a bid to do some good and to get myself into some kind of shape.
Taxi for Mr Nelson!
(05-07-2020, 10:50 AM)derryfilm Wrote: I've taken the plunge and bought a road bike.  I got hooked on the sport from watching the Tour de France, Giro d'Italia and Vuelta de Espana over the last 5 years and no idea how I've missed the sport for so long. 

I have no illusions of doing anything other then riding for pleasure - far too fat, far too old - but love being out an about on my bike when my knee isnt playing up.

That said, I have foolishly signed up to do the annual Manchester to Blackpool bike ride in aid of the Christie Hospital (that's about 60 miles / 95km apparently) in a bid to do some good and to get myself into some kind of shape.

So, how much time do you have to prepare for this 60 mile ride?      I would regularly cycle 50 miles once a week when I was into it a few years back and it took me a few weeks of 20 milers and up to get to doing it the first time.     My main issue was being a bit saddle sore afterwards.    Those road bike seats are not made for much comfort, even the nicer gel one I eventually put on the bike.

I've never ridden in a group, always solo, but riding in a group does have its advantages as the leader of the group can swap off after a while and draft on others as the lead changes.

Like you, I had no delusions of anything other than an easier on the knees form of exercise for cardio than jogging and averaged a 16 mph clip when on the weekly long ride of 50 miles.   I'd finish that in just over 3 hours time with a cool down ride of about 15 minutes afterwards.
gumbo2176
Been riding since early 80's. Yes my nether region is used to the abuse by now. Always done at least 250 mi weeks except in really bad weather in the Northwest. Never made it to the big time but mostly done regional West coast racing. We own a shop so around the wheels all the time.
As for saddles and getting the right one, you have to find it to enjoy the ride. A good saddle is worth it's weight, or wait as in so many choices to find, "the right one".
I don't think of cycling as a hobby but more of a way of life. I choose my battles these days and ride appropriately to be able to ride the next day. Gone are the days I trained as if going to the "Tour".
(05-07-2020, 03:53 PM)SlingBlade Wrote:  Yes my nether region is used to the abuse by now.  Always done at least 250 mi weeks except in really bad weather 

I was getting use to it but it was a journey of numb body parts that shouldn't have been numb until the body adjusted.

You put more miles on a bicycle than I have averaged on my truck.   I only average 6K a year on my pick-up and at 250 miles a week, that's 12K a year on a bicycle.

Hats off to you for that.   The only local guy I knew that would ride like that had calves twice the size of the average man.
gumbo2176
(05-07-2020, 01:10 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 10:50 AM)derryfilm Wrote: I've taken the plunge and bought a road bike.  I got hooked on the sport from watching the Tour de France, Giro d'Italia and Vuelta de Espana over the last 5 years and no idea how I've missed the sport for so long. 

So, how much time do you have to prepare for this 60 mile ride?      I would regularly cycle 50 miles once a week when I was into it a few years back and it took me a few weeks of 20 milers and up to get to doing it the first time.     My main issue was being a bit saddle sore afterwards.    Those road bike seats are not made for much comfort, even the nicer gel one I eventually put on the bike.

I've never ridden in a group, always solo, but riding in a group does have its advantages as the leader of the group can swap off after a while and draft on others as the lead changes.

Like you, I had no delusions of anything other than an easier on the knees form of exercise for cardio than jogging and averaged a 16 mph clip when on the weekly long ride of 50 miles.   I'd finish that in just over 3 hours time with a cool down ride of about 15 minutes afterwards.
Been doing 10 mile rides each day as a start to my prep in week 1 and then build distance on a week by week basis. However knee gone gammy again so am currently confined to couch.

Hoping to start again next week and once I've done a couple of 10s, I'll ramp up to 20s, 30s etc.

If I train right I want to aim at a 5hr target, realistically a good time for me in my shape would be 6hrs I think but if my knee carries on as it is at the moment it'll more likely take me a week and a half Big Grin

I'm very new to all this.
Taxi for Mr Nelson!
(05-07-2020, 04:02 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 03:53 PM)SlingBlade Wrote:  Yes my nether region is used to the abuse by now.  Always done at least 250 mi weeks except in really bad weather 

I was getting use to it but it was a journey of numb body parts that shouldn't have been numb until the body adjusted.

You put more miles on a bicycle than I have averaged on my truck.   I only average 6K a year on my pick-up and at 250 miles a week, that's 12K a year on a bicycle.

Hats off to you for that.   The only local guy I knew that would ride like that had calves twice the size of the average man.

Gumbo 2176. Your local bike shop would offer a proper bike fit to address any issues you have concerning numbness issues. It'd be great this time of the year to get out and enjoy the fresh air.
I used to ride my bike quite a bit, until I move to a town where everything is uphill ..... Sad
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me .... I find bliss in my confusion.
I used to ride a lot before I had a stent put in. They said my stamina would improve. Nope. My heart rate elevates a lot quicker than it used to and I'm almost afraid to get back on my bike because I don't think I can ride the way I like. I have a decent road bike - Fuji CCR3, all carbon. Nice and light and fast. Most of the roads here are pretty crappy as well as heavier traffic than I'm used to riding in - with as much as people ignore the no-texting laws, it can be frightening. There is a bike path about 10 or so miles away which is about 15 or so miles end-to-end. When I lived more in that area I rode it a lot, on my road bike and on my recumbent (I have an old Recumbent USA USS SWB bike... That is one I'd like to have in fiber. )
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- If it don't fit, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
- If it ain't broke, you might still be able to fix it.

"Maintain a solid 60.  What you do with your other two darts is up to you" -Unknown

My match darts:  21gm Harrows Wolfram Infinity, short nylon/Target Carbon Ti Pro stems, standard flights.