Self-isolated on the river
I got out the door by 6:30 a.m. and headed out to the Mississippi River to do some fishing.    I managed to catch some bait fish yesterday afternoon with my cast net and kept them alive with an aerator in a bucket of pond water.

I baited one line with a live baby perch and the other with some mullet I use as cut bait and got them in the water around 7.  I caught a few small catfish and tossed them back and around 9 I was thinking it was not my day.

Then it happened.   I got a nice hit on the cut bait line and when I reached for the rod it was obvious the fish was running with the bait and I set the hook.    It took me about 15 minutes to land the blue cat and luckily I decided to bring my long handle gaff just in case.     Good thing too since the fish was just lip hooked and I'd never gotten it up the 15 feet of rip-rap without losing it.

While I was getting that one securely on land my other pole was dancing, but I missed out on that one and it took my live bait in a heartbeat.     

I decided to head home with the one fish and when I got home I measured and weighed it.    It was 42 inches long and weighed 31 lbs. and after fileting it, I wound up with 15 lbs. of boneless meat to eat and put away in the freezer.

Thinking about heading back out there early next week to try my luck again.
gumbo2176
A very good morning and fishing venture. Nice to return to the good timeless basics, and that fish sounds delicious!
I'm sure you have some good recipes Smile
If there's no pics, then it's just a fish story! (Teasing!)

That's a nice catch right there!
Jason S - Middle of USA - South Dakota
Darts: Over 46 sets - Currently Using Whichever One Feels Right
Board: Target Nexus / One80 Gladiator III
Highest Out: 170
Best Leg: 12 Darts (Many shots at a 10 darter - Arghhh)
2020 Maximums: Goal set at 200 - Goal of 200 reached on 3/29/20 - Should've set higher goal.  Blush
Favorite Quotes:
"It always seems impossible until it is done." - Nelson Mandela
"Life becomes easier when you learn to accept the apology you never got." - Robert Brault (Told to me by someone who never knew how much I needed to hear it.)
Ah man that sounds delicious. Nothing like being outside, ever.
Good for you, Gumbo !!!
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me .... I find bliss in my confusion.
Well, I fried a few pounds of boneless filets tonight and one of my wife's friends dropped by and I though she was trying to kill herself eating the fried catfish. I also had a large bowl of freshly made coleslaw from one of the purple cabbages I grew this year to go with it.

We polished off a bottle of wine, a bottle of champagne and a few cocktails to help end the week and head into the weekend.

Tomorrow I will boil a 35 lb. sack of crawfish for the wife, her 2 kids and myself to enjoy. Springtime in La. is a good time to do things outdoors before the summer heat makes it's way into our lives.
gumbo2176
(04-25-2020, 04:52 AM)gumbo2176 Wrote: I will boil a 35 lb. sack of crawfish

You're making my mouth water at 5:00 in the morning! Wink
Jason S - Middle of USA - South Dakota
Darts: Over 46 sets - Currently Using Whichever One Feels Right
Board: Target Nexus / One80 Gladiator III
Highest Out: 170
Best Leg: 12 Darts (Many shots at a 10 darter - Arghhh)
2020 Maximums: Goal set at 200 - Goal of 200 reached on 3/29/20 - Should've set higher goal.  Blush
Favorite Quotes:
"It always seems impossible until it is done." - Nelson Mandela
"Life becomes easier when you learn to accept the apology you never got." - Robert Brault (Told to me by someone who never knew how much I needed to hear it.)
35lb???? Sounds like a Man vs Food challenge!
Taxi for Mr Nelson!
(04-26-2020, 10:04 AM)derryfilm Wrote: 35lb???? Sounds like a Man vs Food challenge!
That's about the average size sack of live crawfish sold in my area.   To that, I also added 2 lbs. of smoked sausage, 8 ears of corn, 3 lbs. of small potatoes, 4 large onions, several stalks of celery, 6 heads of garlic, 2 lbs. mushrooms, 5 large lemons, 20 bay leaves, 5 lbs. of seasoning mix in 40 quarts of water to boil the crawfish in my 80 qt. pot.

This was done for 4 people and we ate all but 5 lbs. of crawfish and wound up picking them for the tail meat and fat to freeze for later use and there was a lot of the "sides" left that will be used to make soups, omelets, potato salad, etc. over the next 3 days.

There are 2 dishes I make with leftovers from a crawfish boil.   One is crawfish bisque and the other is "After The Boil Soup" and both can be seen on u-tube videos.      I discovered the recipe for ATBS last year by a guy who goes by Cajun Ninja and it is a killer soup that is made with the leftovers from a crawfish boil.

Crawfish bisque is a very hands on recipe that is a labor of love.   Last time I made it, I stuffed 280 heads to go into the rich, highly flavored sauce.
gumbo2176
(04-26-2020, 10:57 AM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(04-26-2020, 10:04 AM)derryfilm Wrote: 35lb???? Sounds like a Man vs Food challenge!
That's about the average size sack of live crawfish sold in my area.   To that, I also added 2 lbs. of smoked sausage, 8 ears of corn, 3 lbs. of small potatoes, 4 large onions, several stalks of celery, 6 heads of garlic, 2 lbs. mushrooms, 5 large lemons, 20 bay leaves, 5 lbs. of seasoning mix in 40 quarts of water to boil the crawfish in my 80 qt. pot.

This was done for 4 people and we ate all but 5 lbs. of crawfish and wound up picking them for the tail meat and fat to freeze for later use and there was a lot of the "sides" left that will be used to make soups, omelets, potato salad, etc. over the next 3 days.

There are 2 dishes I make with leftovers from a crawfish boil.   One is crawfish bisque and the other is "After The Boil Soup" and both can be seen on u-tube videos.      I discovered the recipe for ATBS last year by a guy who goes by Cajun Ninja and it is a killer soup that is made with the leftovers from a crawfish boil.

Crawfish bisque is a very hands on recipe that is a labor of love.   Last time I made it, I stuffed 280 heads to go into the rich, highly flavored sauce.
That is an epic feed. Dont think I could manage as much as that but sounds absolutely delicious!
Taxi for Mr Nelson!
I'm a foodie and watch tons of shows. I've seen crawfish boils, and would love to try one. Too bad we never hooked up when I was in New Orleans.
(04-26-2020, 02:53 PM)Nucky Wrote: I'm a foodie and watch tons of shows. I've seen crawfish boils, and would love to try one. Too bad we never hooked up when I was in New Orleans.

Crawfish are a seasonal thing and when the season starts really depends on how mild or cold our winters are.     This past fall was exceptionally mild and the crawfish farmers started bringing them to market in late January with mixed sizes early in the season.

Generally, I don't like to do any more boils after late April to mid May since as the season extends, the crawfish shells get harder and are a PITA to deal with, especially wild caught crawfish like those from the Belle River area.   Besides, by mid May it is getting hot in New Orleans.

If ever in this area again, PM me and let me know when you're going to be around.    We'll have a meet & greet and the foods on me since I love to cook and share it with people.
gumbo2176
(04-26-2020, 03:13 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(04-26-2020, 02:53 PM)Nucky Wrote: I'm a foodie and watch tons of shows. I've seen crawfish boils, and would love to try one. Too bad we never hooked up when I was in New Orleans.

Crawfish are a seasonal thing and when the season starts really depends on how mild or cold our winters are.     This past fall was exceptionally mild and the crawfish farmers started bringing them to market in late January with mixed sizes early in the season.

Generally, I don't like to do any more boils after late April to mid May since as the season extends, the crawfish shells get harder and are a PITA to deal with, especially wild caught crawfish like those from the Belle River area.   Besides, by mid May it is getting hot in New Orleans.

If ever in this area again, PM me and let me know when you're going to be around.    We'll have a meet & greet and the foods on me since I love to cook and share it with people.
Sounds like a plan. And, if you ever make it to where the Cajuns came from....I offer you the same courtesy. I should add that I am Acadian on my mother's side of my family tree  Big Grin
Well hell, you're like a brother-in-law then.
gumbo2176
Well, I just had to get out the house again today and headed back to the river to try my luck once again. I managed only 2 fish, one I threw back at only 15 inches long and a couple pounds and waited for it's granddaddy to bite------and it did. The second blue cat I landed wound up measuring 34 inches and weighed in at 25 lbs.

So after cleaning that one I wound up having about 12 lbs. of boneless meat for the freezer. If I go out over the next few weeks it will only be for catch and release since I have enough in the freezer for now and they are just a hoot to catch.
gumbo2176