New attachment system for posting pictures
The forum will be testing a new attachment system for adding pictures and other files.  This will be implemented Friday April 10, around 0200 UK time.  There will be no forum down time.

We'll be trialling this new system to see if it meets our needs.  If not, no pictures or other attachments will be lost - we'll simply revert to the old methods.  We'll not be limiting file size for pictures, so we hope members exercise some judgement in the size of their pictures uploaded.  That might have a bearing on suitability.   Wink

For other files, current attachment limits will remain.

Coming on the heels of our recent upgrades, it's possible we might have the odd technical glitch. Hopefully nothing severe enough to curtail the test duration.  Documentation has been made available in the Forum Guides area:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=39736

Good posting!
This system is now live.

cheers...
(04-11-2020, 01:38 AM)nixer55 Wrote: This system is now live.

cheers...

That seems better, in the past I have tried to add photos to peoples posts and have found that you have to reply to the original post to insert a picture, by the only method I could figure out (although that might have been my incompitance).

Thanks for letting us know, added a quick test, to figure it  out which was quite easy and straight forward.

It seems better to me and thanks.

Is there a limit on the number of images ?

[Image: Eq1V2Jj.jpg]
Yes its me, I checked in the mirror. 

Current throwing weights of 18 to 24 grams.

Current darts set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.
Nice one Nixer and the gang
[Image: lMaqREa.png]
(04-11-2020, 08:24 AM)Phil D Wrote:
(04-11-2020, 01:38 AM)nixer55 Wrote: This system is now live.

cheers...

That seems better, in the past I have tried to add photos to peoples posts and have found that you have to reply to the original post to insert a picture, by the only method I could figure out (although that might have been my incompitance).

Thanks for letting us know, added a quick test, to figure it  out which was quite easy and straight forward.

It seems better to me and thanks.

Is there a limit on the number of images ?

Pic removed

There is - but more than the attachments method previously placed on our host.  But I'd rather not get into actual counts.  If you get an error stating so, you've hit the wall.  

But excessive pictures per post is one of those things we'll be monitoring during this trial.  Few scenarios where huge numbers of pictures per post is actually required or desired.
I think it's a really neat idea in theory, but it seems to be work in progress. I tried it with a 1000 x 1000 image I've just posted, and the upload seemed to stick(twice) around the 80-90% mark. So I used imgur directly instead.
(04-11-2020, 08:49 PM)Jefferz Wrote: I think it's a really neat idea in theory, but it seems to be work in progress. I tried it with a 1000 x 1000 image I've just posted, and the upload seemed to stick(twice) around the 80-90% mark. So I used imgur directly instead.

Must be this one.

[Image: d5n1Qn5l.jpg]

Because a connection must be made to Imgur, possible something went wrong.  Might've been interesting to wait it out to see if an error was generated.  Did you see one - or did it just stall?  That we might be able to do something about.  But I had no issue after saving your image and using the system.  But with my connection, I'd hardly even see a progress bar for 219k.

At any rate, everyone's free to use their own links.  Quite frankly, the major point besides ease of use, is to take pressure off the attachment system.  Without lowering file size or image number limits any further.
(04-11-2020, 09:36 PM)nixer55 Wrote: Must be this one.

resim

Because a connection must be made to Imgur, possible something went wrong.  Might've been interesting to wait it out to see if an error was generated.  Did you see one - or did it just stall?  That we might be able to do something about.  But I had no issue after saving your image and using the system.  But with my connection, I'd hardly even see a progress bar for 219k.

At any rate, everyone's free to use their own links.  Quite frankly, the major point besides ease of use, is to take pressure off the attachment system.  Without lowering file size or image number limits any further.
I think I know why it happened, Nix.

I use No Script on Firefox. Apart from a few websites, every script is disabled by default, and when i tried to upload it the first 2 times, imgur was disabled. Then I went to imgur I temporarily enabled it.

I've just tried the same image on this site now(with imgur still temporarily enabled), and it uploaded quickly and successfully.

edit: I've just tried it a second and third time and it stalls. Maybe it could be something to do with cache.
(04-11-2020, 09:57 PM)Jefferz Wrote: I think I know why it happened, Nix.

I use No Script on Firefox. Apart from a few websites, every script is disabled by default, and when i tried to upload it the first 2 times, imgur was disabled. Then I went to imgur I temporarily enabled it.

I've just tried the same image on this site now(with imgur still temporarily enabled), and it uploaded quickly and successfully.

edit: I've just tried it a second and third time and it stalls. Maybe it could be something to do with cache.

Could be.  Until I can duplicate the issue consistently, we'll just keep motoring along for now.

As stated in the OP - we're trialling this system.  Checked it out in a test environment of course, but that's never quite the same as production.

Thanks for the feedback, detailed input helps a lot.

cheers...
Since we're not limiting picture size, seeing a lot of very large pictures.  Much larger than can be displayed properly in the post.  But here's the good news.  Our system interfaces with Imgur, and you can do something about it.  Posted a guide about this - but here's an edited version:

In these situations - View Source is very useful.  Turn it on in the main editor before posting your pic:

[Image: MZ7KSPAh.jpg]

You can resize those pictures by editing the image link - which starts with "[img" and ends with "img]".  Just add an 'h' before the "." in the filename.  If the picture is very big, this will reduce the pixel scale to 1024 wide.  Which is plenty big.  Here's an example of a large pic (2100 X 2800) taken from the 180's thread.  Edit the post, turn on 'View Source', then edit the link filename.  Here's the result:

[Image: 69b4RqLh.jpg]

If you don't want to mess with your camera settings, this gives you options.  Other ways to do this, but this is very simple.

cheers...