Getting better but making enemies
Very frustrated with league play right now.  I'm in my second season of league play and my avg in doubles play is about 20PPD and 2.1 MPR. (single avg is around 22.5 when I control the out numbers)  My season avg has had slight increase week after week for the past 4 months.  Even with that many games behind me, I still increase it a bit as I am getting better.

Then in Jan i bought a Nexus board and playing against better players regularly is really improving my game.  Things started clicking a few weeks ago and I have been able to drop some games in the 30ppd range.  Not every game, but the high spikes are coming.  Even at home have the good spikes and then reality.

You guessed it, now being called a sandbagger.  This is a non money league and I don't use my league avg for tournament entries.  Just enjoying seeing the practice is paying off.

Curious what other players have in games swing avg from game to game.
Started playing again in November 2017 after a 30 year hiatus.

Match darts - XQMax MVG Gen II  23g, XQMax MVG GenII 20g Soft by Custom Darts

Bottlesen GT's 24g, Bottlesen GT’s 24g 1980 model, Bottlesen 20g GT Soft, Harrows Pulse 24g, 

Blade 5 DC, Nexus 

180's: Yes

I am an average B League player, who occasionally rises to the level of "slightly above average" B League player. On those days when I have a really smoking game I do get the stink-eye from people. Just the way it goes. Just don't do it to other people and you're cool in my book. If someone opens a can of whoop ass on you, smile at the warmly, and congratulate them sincerely.
I seem to be very inconsistent when it comes to league. One week I’ll throw an 18ppd average and the next week I’ll throw 28ppd. I think a lot has to do with competition, I normally play better when I play good players and seem to struggle when I play the bad players.
Think that's life in general, just enjoy ?
No matter how good or bad we are, we are all capable of that really good game every now and then.
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me .... I find bliss in my confusion.
I've been accused of being a sandbagger myself. When I did my debut season in main league, I was being singled out for being too good of a player and was almost reported by another team. They filmed me in a game against them to show how much of a sandbagger I was, though sadly the game they recorded, me and their own teammate busted rating in the same game, so neither team scored a point and my opponent looked just as bad as me.

I was a rating 3 at that time, and within 2 or 3 months, I increased to a 9. It was just practice and momentum coming up and I found my stride. Did I make enemies, yes. But do I let it bother me, no. I can't make every opponent I face happy to see me and I don't apologize for beating them nor do I complain if I lose. I just accept the reputation I have among the community.
Current Dart in Use: Quantum Darts Paradox 17.5gm
(07-28-2020, 04:11 AM)LethalEagle Wrote: I've been accused of being a sandbagger myself. When I did my debut season in main league, I was being singled out for being too good of a player and was almost reported by another team. They filmed me in a game against them to show how much of a sandbagger I was, though sadly the game they recorded, me and their own teammate busted rating in the same game, so neither team scored a point and my opponent looked just as bad as me.

I was a rating 3 at that time, and within 2 or 3 months, I increased to a 9. It was just practice and momentum coming up and I found my stride. Did I make enemies, yes. But do I let it bother me, no. I can't make every opponent I face happy to see me and I don't apologize for beating them nor do I complain if I lose. I just accept the reputation I have among the community.

Everytime I read about that sandbagging and other "improvements" that you guys in the US and Asia invented, I think I play a completely different sport.
It may be due to my poor english, I have to say though that if someone in Czechia had asked me what you were writing about, I'd be really struggling to explain that.
(07-29-2020, 06:17 PM)elevendarter Wrote:
(07-28-2020, 04:11 AM)LethalEagle Wrote: I've been accused of being a sandbagger myself. When I did my debut season in main league, I was being singled out for being too good of a player and was almost reported by another team. They filmed me in a game against them to show how much of a sandbagger I was, though sadly the game they recorded, me and their own teammate busted rating in the same game, so neither team scored a point and my opponent looked just as bad as me.

Everytime I read about that sandbagging and other "improvements" that you guys in the US and Asia invented, I think I play a completely different sport.
It may be due to my poor english, I have to say though that if someone in Czechia had asked me what you were writing about, I'd be really struggling to explain that.

i agree must be a soft tip thing.I dont play soft tip but just play however i am drawn against on the opposite team in the league.No averages involved,one week it could be someone much better than me another week someone similar to me
(07-31-2020, 06:41 AM)paulfg Wrote: i agree must be a soft tip thing.I dont play soft tip but just play however i am drawn against on the opposite team in the league.No averages involved,one week it could be someone much better than me another week someone similar to me

Most people really care much about their MPR or PPD, it's all just numbers and luck accumulated over many games. Being a softip player myself, I don't really care about my own MPR/PPD thing, I don't know what the heck are these. It's about how you throw and the calculations, and lastly, enjoy!

Do steeltip players actually manually count their ratings? Huh
Fav Dart    : Harrows Nemesis 20g & Harrows RAZR Bulbous 20g
Shaft         : Harrows
Flight         : Harrows 
Points        : Cosmo Fit Point + , CHEAP Harrows Conversion Points
Board        : Harrows Pro Matchplay
Electronic  : VSPhoenix!!
OCD Darter!! Harrows Fanboy  Dodgy
(07-29-2020, 06:17 PM)elevendarter Wrote:

Sandbagging is the act of playing well under your potential in a game to keep your handicap at a false level, and in the gambling sense, to keep an opponent on the hook with them having false hope of getting a win.

I don't play soft tip darts and the local leagues are all steel tip with no handicap system in place, but I once substituted every once in a while in the local barroom pool league that used a handicap system to rate players.     I'd get called maybe 3-4 times during the league season to fill in when someone couldn't make it to the match.

I can't tell you the number of times I watched players I was very familiar with and knew could finish a game in two trips to the table when playing 8 ball, but would purposely miss shots to increase their trips to the table to finish the game.   And it seemed no matter how badly they were playing, when it got down to needing to win, they almost always did.
gumbo2176
Reading this I have impression that George Martin wrote the rules of soft tip
180-0(32)
[Image: lvnS5tM.jpg]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSk3_mUOv_jGoysjynm41f...KJnZ__w9ge]