Switching
Hi All,

When I started playing darts the standard way of scoring was to be 20’s centric and regardless of consistency very few considered moving to another high scoring Treble and if they did they would often be way off the Treble, as a result 26 was considered par for the course or unlucky even! 

Although I do recall the rare occasion when a few players chose 19’s as their main target.

However over the year’s the term ‘switching’ came in to being which refers to a situation when power scoring, the player changes from 20’s to 19’s or 18’s. 

For a long time I have practiced a key treble routine which means aiming at T20/T19/T18 one dart at each in sequence. So its kinda annoying when either the T20 is partially obscured or my first dart is way off that I go straight for the T19 and hit it... that someone pipes up ‘Good Switch’ as if it was somehow the result of an unintended or lucky change.

A common mistake for newbies (and some oldies for that matter) is to throw at the 20’s regardless and end up with a 26 or a 7 or worse a 3 after muscle memory has affected the remaining darts.

In the modern game however changing to alternate Trebles has become an integral part of the game and good players don’t hesitate to move from the 20’s to 19’s or 18 as such I would urge players to incorporate some form of key treble practice into their drill so it becomes natural and not an afterthought.

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Monster "Milkman" - 22.4Gm, Smooth Gold Points 36mm, Yellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

[Image: 0mbrxgh.png]

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

And for this very reason is why Americans seem to love playing Cricket. Trebles in the 20-15 are premium hits that will find you winning way more games than losing. The added bonus if you get proficient at hitting those trebles is it really comes in handy when playing 01 games and wanting to get on a good out shot in short order.
gumbo2176
(02-26-2020, 08:26 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: And for this very reason is why Americans seem to love playing Cricket.     Trebles in the 20-15 are premium hits that will find you winning way more games than losing.     The added bonus if you get proficient at hitting those trebles is it really comes in handy when playing 01 games and wanting to get on a good out shot in short order.

Totally agree with you that’s why many Brit’s played Tactics as a ‘practice game’ but after a while most found it too predictable in the end.

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Monster "Milkman" - 22.4Gm, Smooth Gold Points 36mm, Yellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

(02-26-2020, 08:26 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: And for this very reason is why Americans seem to love playing Cricket.     Trebles in the 20-15 are premium hits that will find you winning way more games than losing.     The added bonus if you get proficient at hitting those trebles is it really comes in handy when playing 01 games and wanting to get on a good out shot in short order.

The main reason Americans love playing Cricket is they don't like doing the math involved in '01.
(02-26-2020, 10:58 PM)bkbum Wrote: The main reason Americans love playing Cricket is they don't like doing the math involved in '01.

And you're saying there's no math involved in Cricket?????    Beg to differ.
gumbo2176
(02-26-2020, 11:32 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 10:58 PM)bkbum Wrote: The main reason Americans love playing Cricket is they don't like doing the math involved in '01.

And you're saying there's no math involved in Cricket?????    Beg to differ.

Hi Gumbo,

What he’s saying is .... in an 01 game you have to work out your score, deduct it mentally and ensure that you are taking the best path, scoring wise to leave yourself on a double. Good players are working on an outshot after their second throw. In addition calculations have to be done almost instantly so you don’t lose your rhythm. Importantly you have to plan your outshot and not just arrive on a number and try and work it out....you also have to know your out-shots combinations in order to close out the game in the most advantageous way. In pairs matches, you have to work with your partner to try and leave their preferred double.

With Tactics all you have to do is place a number on the boards when able to score and then a do simple addition at the end. Of course playing an arcade game version of darts all that calculus is eliminated Big Grin
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(02-27-2020, 01:47 AM)Dorian Wrote: Hi Gumbo,

What he’s saying is .... in an 01 game you have to work out your score, deduct it mentally and ensure that you are taking the best path, scoring wise to leave yourself on a double. Good players are working on an outshot after their second throw. In addition calculations have to be done almost instantly so you don’t lose your rhythm. Importantly you have to plan your outshot and not just arrive on a number and try and work it out....you also have to know your out-shots combinations in order to close out the game in the most advantageous way. In pairs matches, you have to work with your partner to try and leave their preferred double.

With Tactics all you have to do is place a number on the boards when able to score and then a do simple addition at the end. Of course playing an arcade game version of darts all that calculus is eliminated Big Grin

Oh, I've played enough 01 over the 30+ years I've been involved in the game and know the math in 01 is far more detailed than a game of Cricket------------BUT, there is math in Cricket and if you score 4 x 17 in either game, it's still 68 points----provided your opponent still doesn't have 17's closed that is, if playing Cricket.
gumbo2176

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Switching hands Mairtin Seoige 7 151 09-11-2019, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Jefferz