Composure or more like lack of it
Hi guys relative newcomer to darts only took it up a year ago,I've joined a team who like myself are all new to darts and very much enjoying it although having played league games since October I still get the old handshakes when about to throw but that's to be expected I suppose , anyway last night we played a much more experienced team and I was first up for our team the guy hit 100 on his first 3 times to the oche while I hit 81 on my first 3 times each time T20 first S20 next then S1 on the third dart I've never scored that high before and my opponent said I played very well but I wish I could of kept my composure on those 3rd darts but as hard as I tried I just couldn't manage it,any tips or advice on remaining calm would be very welcome or maybe just comes with experience ,on a more positive note I did check out on 71 in the doubles match T17 D10 which I was very pleased with even though my hand was shaking like a leaf lol

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Good on you and your teammates being relatively new to the game and playing league already.
We all get them "handshakes" even myself after decades of playing.  They'll simmer down once you gain more experience playing competitively.  
Over the years I've noticed one thing about scoring well with the first two then blowing the third dart and it's a pace thing IMO.
Keeping the same rhythm/pace for each dart will help.  Try not to rush the last or even slow down, throw all three at the same consistent pace and it will help also with the jitters.  
Best of luck with your league and good darting. mint
(01-21-2020, 02:53 PM)Great White North Wrote: Good on you and your teammates being relatively new to the game and playing league already.
We all get them "handshakes" even myself after decades of playing.  They'll simmer down once you gain more experience playing competitively.  
Over the years I've noticed one thing about scoring well with the first two then blowing the third dart and it's a pace thing IMO.
Keeping the same rhythm/pace for each dart will help.  Try not to rush the last or even slow down, throw all three at the same consistent pace and it will help also with the jitters.  
Best of luck with your league and good darting. mint
Thanks for your reply, definitely could well be a pace thing as on each of the 3rd darts I'm thinking I could hit 100 here and paused to take a breath and try to calm myself, I've retired to Turkey and there's 2 leagues A & B ,A league is very competitive with very good players I play in the B league which is less competitive and more social with a mix of older ex pat's and Turkish lads just taking the game up so a good league for us all to learn and improve together, just wish I'd took up darts 30 years ago

Don't get caught up in not hitting your marks and relax. Maybe try and throw at another mark to change it up early on? Doing league with others just beginning is great. Congratulations on your 71 finish.
There are three techniques I use to quell the shakes. Two are performed during the match, and one is a practice routine I do at home sometimes. Here they are:

1. While waiting for your turn, if you feel the jitters too much stretch your entire body by lifting your hands in the air as high as they will go and standing on your toes for a few seconds. A former teammate taught me that and it works for me.

2. While on the oche, before you "get set", take one or two deep breaths in. For me (and others I know) this has an immediate calming effect.

3. A practice routine that I call the "Foam Axe". Basically while practicing at home, whenever you hit a triple 20 leave the dart in there until all three are in the triple. I give a better description here: https://www.zeeple.com/2008/02/fwd-pract...m-axe.html , but the idea is to desensitize yourself to having darts already in the triple 20.
(01-21-2020, 04:16 PM)SlingBlade Wrote: Don't get caught up in not hitting your marks and relax. Maybe try and throw at another mark to change it up early on? Doing league with others just beginning is great. Congratulations on your 71 finish.
Thanks

(01-21-2020, 04:32 PM)Zero Wrote: There are three techniques I use to quell the shakes. Two are performed during the match, and one is a practice routine I do at home sometimes. Here they are:

1. While waiting for your turn, if you feel the jitters too much stretch your entire body by lifting your hands in the air as high as they will go and standing on your toes for a few seconds. A former teammate taught me that and it works for me.

2. While on the oche, before you "get set", take one or two deep breaths in. For me (and others I know) this has an immediate calming effect.

3. A practice routine that I call the "Foam Axe". Basically while practicing at home, whenever you hit a triple 20 leave the dart in there until all three are in the triple. I give a better description here: https://www.zeeple.com/2008/02/fwd-pract...m-axe.html , but the idea is to desensitize yourself to having darts already in the triple 20.
Thanks for this advice I'm going to try all of those

(01-21-2020, 04:32 PM)Zero Wrote: There are three techniques I use to quell the shakes.  Two are performed during the match, and one is a practice routine I do at home sometimes.  Here they are:

1. While waiting for your turn, if you feel the jitters too much stretch your entire body by lifting your hands in the air as high as they will go and standing on your toes for a few seconds.  A former teammate taught me that and it works for me.

2. While on the oche, before you "get set", take one or two deep breaths in.  For me (and others I know) this has an immediate calming effect.

3. A practice routine that I call the "Foam Axe".  Basically while practicing at home, whenever you hit a triple 20 leave the dart in there until all three are in the triple.  I give a better description here: https://www.zeeple.com/2008/02/fwd-pract...m-axe.html , but the idea is to desensitize yourself to having darts already in the triple 20.

Number 3 is very interesting. I always get happy jitters when the first two are in the T20 and the last dart usually goes into the 5. Will definitely try this!
Sounds strange, but when you're down to your 3rd dart, tell yourself you have a 4th.
(03-05-2020, 08:40 PM)UncleJJ Wrote: Sounds strange, but when you're down to your 3rd dart, tell yourself you have a 4th.

There is a guy in my league that carries four darts to the oche for specifically this reason.  Holding a dart in his hand while throwing his third provides a small trickery for his mind (so he says).