What happened?
In all seriousness, what's happening with the BDO? Now I know that all the great talent is in the PDC, but the games in the PDC just aren't half as entertaining as they were in the BDO, especially at the Lakeside during the championship. My younger cousin who's just got into darts, spouts all the "PDC is better cos of sky sports coverage and that's where the money is" etc at me but....... Its boring. Yes the money is there because of sky sports. But the tension and atmosphere just... Isn't. Mainly due to it just being a massive piss up and magnet for stag dos. Yes darts is a pub sport so get pissed all you want. But all the shouting, cheering and booing while players are throwing just ruins it.

Come on BDO, pull your socks up, go back to the Lakeside and sign some decent TV deal so you can pay decent money to the players.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
If only it was so easy, I assume (dangerous I know) that the O2 is a multi year deal and who is to say the loyal crowd will still be there. You can't just get a TV deal if no one wants the product, other than football what other sport has coverage for second tier, no challange tour golf or tennis, minor counties cricket, lower league Rugby?

No tension at the PDC, oh do behave, this has been a great worlds with loads of tight tense games.
Mack The Knife
(01-03-2020, 08:54 PM)Mack Wrote: If only it was so easy, I assume (dangerous I know) that the O2 is a multi year deal and who is to say the loyal crowd will still be there. You can't just get a TV deal if no one wants the product, other than football what other sport has coverage for second tier, no challange tour golf or tennis, minor counties cricket, lower league Rugby?

No tension at the PDC, oh do behave, this has been a great worlds with loads of tight tense games.

I disagree. True darts fans love the BDO and PDC. Along with pub and county darts. Without an organization like the BDO, darts will die off. Hopefully Hearn can work some magic. I believe he will. Many so called darts fans of today arent darts fans. They're people who need glitz and glamor and big money and brand name sponsors to titilate them. PDC and BDO worlds were both great.
I disagree. True darts fans love the BDO and PDC. Along with pub and county darts. Without an organization like the BDO, darts will die off. Hopefully Hearn can work some magic. I believe he will. Many so called darts fans of today arent darts fans. They're people who need glitz and glamor and big money and brand name sponsors to titilate them. PDC and BDO worlds were both great.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more

I think the BDO should take charge of all the pub leagues in the UK. A tall order I know, but the revenue that would create for them would be amazing. Just like the F. A does with football Sunday leagues etc.

Plus the unknown talent would be discovered. I've seen some amazing players that literally just play at the pub in a pub league and go to work the rest of the week.

If the BDO died then grass roots darts would certainly not die with them - the national organisations would just step up to the plate and take over the grass roots side for their respective country, including the BICC.
(01-14-2020, 06:17 AM)big daddy Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 08:54 PM)Mack Wrote: If only it was so easy, I assume (dangerous I know) that the O2 is a multi year deal and who is to say the loyal crowd will still be there. You can't just get a TV deal if no one wants the product, other than football what other sport has coverage for second tier, no challange tour golf or tennis, minor counties cricket, lower league Rugby?

You are completely right
So has anyone read this yet. Best person to take over the reigns in my opinion

https://dartsnews.com/adams-keen-on-pote...o-be-done/

Just no.

To run a business, you need a businessman, not a darts player.
[Image: NSnrkBi.png]

Winmau - Andy Fordham SE
Think that all stems from the Metro article I posted in the Worlds thread last week:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...#pid592606

As I posted there it needs businessmen and not players or ex-players to run the organisation - possibly have a player around as an adviser on actual darts matters, but no way on business matters.

He already tried taking over before when they got rid of Olly Croft and it got to much for him then so he resigned - the organisation was on a slow downwards spiral towards the end of Olly's reign, but that spiral got faster and faster as soon as Adams and his team took over. And he now wants another go!!

Worst thing that could happen to the BDO in my opinion. Anyway, all the county reps care about is their beloved county and the BICC - so they most likely won't call an EGM to vote Des off anyway.
(01-14-2020, 05:05 PM)vanJupp Wrote: Just no.

To run a business, you need a businessman, not a darts player.

I agree 100%, plus who would hire a person who says "I'll give it a stab" - very sophomoric in my opinion. if you want the job you need to demonstrate a track record of success in same or similar job. Knowing what to do and being able to do it are very different things.
They need a businessperson & some others to help run it, they need some kind of model in place so it survives, no more bandaids rip it off & start over if they have too, i quite enjoyed the WC at the O2 arena, sorry for Lakeside fans but it's time to move it's 2020 not 1980
I don't believe Adams has any more of a clue how to turn things around than the current leadership. His discussions simply focus around the Worlds, and whilst it is important, it isn't everything. He still portrays some bitterness towards the PDC rather than focusing on what the best path forward is for the BDO as a whole. They could move a tournament but really they need several tournaments, with sponsorship and TV coverage to boost the bank balance
It's the tv tournaments that are crippling the BDO. They need to drop the WDT - it's not made them any money since the first time it was played in 2014 and has actually cost them a shitload. I went to Lakeside in 2016 for the WDT and it was practically empty - this was a Sunday where a ticket had cost £10 for over 12 hours worth of darts - at the home of World Darts!!!

Ultimately, they need to go back with the begging bowl to the WDF. With the BDO World's no longer sanctioned by the WDF then it's effectively worthless.

It's interesting to see what's going on with the WDF as a whole - announcements are starting to be drip fed and yesterday's statement was quite telling in that they have made their season from January-December with talk of a "tour championship" to end the year. I wouldn't be surprised to see a WDF World Championship taking place in Netherlands in 2021.
(01-14-2020, 11:34 PM)Simon G Wrote: It's the tv tournaments that are crippling the BDO.  They need to drop the WDT - it's not made them any money since the first time it was played in 2014 and has actually cost them a shitload.  I went to Lakeside in 2016 for the WDT and it was practically empty - this was a Sunday where a ticket had cost £10 for over 12 hours worth of darts - at the home of World Darts!!!

Ultimately the reason is that the BDO is not a marketable product to the general public, they see it as secord rate, so you will only get die hard darts fans attending.
Mack The Knife