Collector sets do you throw them?
As the title suggests when you put out good money for a collector set do you throw them or hoard them life a troll? I recently bought the John Lowe MBE set and well would like to throw them but get caught up in the collector angle, just wondering if it was me or am I the same as the rest of you darts nutz...
I keep throwing them until they get nicked/lost. Then I regret using them, but back on the hunt again for another set. The joys and annoyances of darting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It's up to you whether you decide to throw them or not, but if you are intending selling them at a later date though then they are worth more if they haven't been thrown.

Personally I don't throw them if they are limited edition or special edition sets for my collection, so like my other LE sets including the new RVBs I won't be throwing the Lowe's when they arrive. I'm not going to be selling them myself, but my daughter can't stand the game so intends to sell my whole collection when she inherits it all after I leave this mortal coil lol.
(12-13-2019, 12:59 PM)mc1958 Wrote: It's up to you whether you decide to throw them or not, but if you are intending selling them at a later date though then they are worth more if they haven't been thrown.

Personally I don't throw them if they are limited edition or special edition sets for my collection, so like my other LE sets including the new RVBs I won't be throwing the Lowe's when they arrive.  I'm not going to be selling them myself, but my daughter can't stand the game so intends to sell my whole collection when she inherits it all after I leave this mortal coil lol.

I don't have many limited edition sets but I got the Rob Cross WC ones and thought I'd have a very quick throw before putting them on display.  First throw I chipped a big bit of the coating off so they look a bit of a mess and resale value dropped, I'll refrain from throwing if I get any more Big Grin
Madhouse Customs 23.8g
L Style flights & stems
Unicorn Volute points
One to keep, one to throw depending on price, mainly because I can’t resist the temptation to throw them.
For me, a collector set is an old set. Hard to find. A relic of darting's past. Do I throw them? Absotive Posilutely. All day long. Darts were made for throwing them, and to not do so is a base thing indeed.
I don't have any that I would say are "collector" sets. For the simple fact that I collect them all. LOL I throw what I get.
I don't buy collector's sets, but if I did I wouldn't use them because I doubt they're intended to be used, and there's no good reason for me to do so.

Most will be similar to a standard straight barrel or other well known shape, and will therefore be no different to a cheap set of darts from Darts Clearance or other. I would just throw them instead given that there's no practical difference.
Good thread!I allways intend to throw them,but they all seem a bit special when they arrive through the letterbox!At the moment i have got the 3 Garry anderson's,5 mvg,taylor's legacy,rvb's legacy and waiting for the john lowe's! Smilemissed the Taylor Blackpool set and theirs one going on ebay for£750......i'd love them,but not that much!
I throw every set I purchase. 
However, sets that are purchased with the sole intent of collecting (i.e. Cosmo Juggler Queens, LE Death Sabres, LE Goldfinger2) are not thrown for scoring. I just sample them for feel and ability... think White Horse. Barrels never touch. Maybe 10 throws and then onto display.
I have a few darts in my collection (under 50 sets), but only one special collector set -- 3rd gen Target Elysians. I haven't thrown them, but I like BDG's idea of just avoiding throwing the three at the same bed to keep from barrel-on-barrel violence. Maybe I'll dig the box out of the cupboard and give that a try!
I've got 3 Gary Anderson Limited Edition sets that I've never thrown.
Just got the Barney Legacy set and I'm definitely tempted to give them a throw!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
(12-13-2019, 04:33 PM)Zero Wrote: For me, a collector set is an old set.  Hard to find. A relic of darting's past.  Do I throw them? Absotive Posilutely. All day long.  Darts were made for throwing them, and to not do so is a base thing indeed.

I agree with Zero that a collectors set is an old, hard to find set. I have a couple of old sets that I consider collectors sets which I will never throw even though they have been used. Instead I had Elven darts make me replica sets which I use. 

I have been tempted with some of the limited edition sets that have been released over recent years but to be honest, the cost and the fact that most of these darts have not even been used by the pro's put me off. I'd rather have the cheaper set that they actually use.

Also I would see the limited edition sets as an investment for the future so I wouldn't throw them, if they are used then they lose value and to me it is pointless paying extra for them in the first place but I'd personally rather spend more money on an old hard to find sets than a modern limited edition which will be replaced the following year with another LE set.
In short: no, I don't throw collectors editions!
I don’t own any collectors sets....

Closest thing , is two sets of Showtimes which I bought under the impression they we’re going out of business, and 2 sets of monsters.

I’m not sure what is considered a “collectors set” a pro players newly issued darts , boxed . (Signed)

As mentioned I collect all darts I fancy at one point another and throw them all.

I only possess 3players darts.. unircorms.Gary Anderson’s, , Dave parletti arcitects (should he ever win. PDC event? May hold some value). And klasses cobra 2s monster.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Whats the biggest variation between sets you own/throw? Kts365 4 203 10-15-2019, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Troll
  Are you a Collector, or a tried and true true-blue? CalixNL 31 881 08-24-2019, 02:46 AM
Last Post: Jefferz
  For the extreme dart collector shingmm 3 603 04-02-2017, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Little al