Wright way to hold a dart?
Hi Matey's,

I am about to state the bleeding obvious now about dart throwing because it may not necessarily be that obvious to some who are perhaps not getting the consistency their good efforts deserve.

It could very well be that players here are doing most things well and whilst they can't quite figure it out, sometimes (or too often) their darts end up way off target. As most who read my little hints and tips will know, I am a firm believer that its the minor things that can provide the major results

In my case I make sure the dart in hand is parallel and perpendicular to the target as I aim and throughout my throw.

This is especially important at the point of release which needs to be as smooth a transition as I can muster. It follows that I must not grip the dart too tightly either so as to eliminate the chance that I'm imparting any sideways force that will cause the dart to stray off target during its flight obvious?..... yes!

Provided your darts generally fly true and are well balanced meaning the stem length and flight shape give you a reasonable level of 'on target' results he darts are not 'snaking' during flight, the questions arising are:

Are you moving the dart out of alignment when you are drawing back or more commonly as I've regularly observed at my club, as the dart is released?

Are you aware that you might be altering your grip position ever so slightly and/or moving your wrist as you propel the dart forward?

Rather than go into Newton's various laws of motion lets keep things simple why not ask someone to study your throw or maybe you could film your throw to check this out?

I would suggest you have a look at Peter Wright's style which exemplifies the thread well.

In summary I know we all hold the dart differently but this thread is aimed (excuse any unintentional pun) at making sure that our throwing style is not unwittingly altering the darts trajectory.

There..... bleeding obvious ain't it?

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Monster "Milkman" - 22.4Gm, Smooth Gold Points 36mm, Yellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

[Image: 0mbrxgh.png]

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Plus one, also, the grip needs to be fairly stable (what ever grip you use) its no good if the dart can pivot (ie) the grip has to  keep the dart pointing in the right direction, a few mm out on release can be a huge amount out by the time it hits the board. Even if the rest of the throw is perfect.
Yes its me, I checked in the mirror. 

Current preferred weight 19 to 23 grams, with 21 gram, being my current favourate.

Favourate current darts set up :- 21 grams 46 to 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts, standard flights.
"In my case I make sure the dart in hand is parallel and perpendicular to the target as I aim and throughout my throw."

I can't agree with this. If, indeed, you release your dart parallel to the ground, it cannot hit any target higher than your point of release, and, due to the effect of gravity, can only land at a point lower than your point of release. Therefore, to hit a target that is higher than your point of release the dart must travel in an upward arc. There are several still photos of pro players release where you can see that the dart is initially traveling at a significant upward angle (45 degrees or more).
You will never throw a dart completely straight parallel to the ground.
On the way to the board the dart will travel in a ballistic/parabolic curve.
The curve will be lower if you throw the dart really powerful but it will be a curve.
Therefore a good throwing technique will accelerate the dart along this ballistic curve and the dart will continue to follow the curve after the release, meaning the tip of the dart should point upwards at some time before the release.

Better and perfect explained here:
http://www.dartbase.com/technics.htm
I use several different dart barrel types (I am weird that way) I have found that bomb types (ie) short stubby barrels I have to aim slightly higher than for longer barrels, the bomb types seem to drop more for me during flight. my prefered darts are around 48 to 50 mm barrel length, with these I notice very little drop (assuming they arent to heavy of course) meaning I can almost sight them onto where I am aiming, with bombs I have to allow for the drop when sighting up (and I have to use a different throwing technique) even when I feel I have it right I dont with bombs (so, I guess they just dont suit my throw) although very occasionally I get good days even throwing with bombs (dont ask why I dont know)

Bomb type darts, for me at least feel like a slightly heavier dart, than they actually are by a few grams when I throw them as well.

Thats assuming the rest of the throw went well of course (which doesnt always happen) for me personally getting the balance right has been a bit of a chore (and I still dont have it right) maybe thats one of the things I like about darts, on the face of it, its a very simple game, which it actually isnt, its quite a challenging game.

I recon someone with a sense of humour introduced darts, to the pubs, especially, bearing in mind the co ordination issues ale causes. Then again that is counter acted slightly, by being more relaxed, creating another dimention, which could be why it became so popular, to begin with.
Yes its me, I checked in the mirror. 

Current preferred weight 19 to 23 grams, with 21 gram, being my current favourate.

Favourate current darts set up :- 21 grams 46 to 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts, standard flights.