3 man cricket etiquette
Hi All, I am hoping that all of you can help me settle a minor disagreement I have with a few area dart shooters. I started playing cricket in 1988 and have formed my opinion on this subject over the years. Multiplayer cricket is fun and challenging, but it can also be frustrating when a player that is clearly out of the game and no longer "win relevant", closes the scoring opportunities for someone still in position to battle for the win. I have always followed the unwritten rule that if a player is grossly behind in points (Example Player1)  while another player has everything closed but does not have the point lead (Player2), and the remaining player has the point lead and a few closes (Player3)...that (Player1) should leave at least one of the point leaders (Player3's) numbers alone until (Player1) is in a position to over take him. And in turn (Player3) will generally return the favor until he is in a position to win. (Player3) is keeping himself and by default (Player1) in the game by running the points up and preventing (Player2) from going out. I believe that we all play to win the game, and if (Player1) stops (Player3) from pointing by closing his number instead of trying to get himself back in the game, that is not playing to win but rather controlling the outcome of the game. There are circumstances where this might not always be the case depending on skill level and ability to come back but for the majority of the time if you are grossly behind two other players a come back is unlikely. I am sure that I will get some flack on the subject but I am interested in your opinions.

Thank you,
Copycat3530
That’s a real can of worms just opened!
p[Image: GEpKdcf.png] 
Current Board 
ONE80 Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore  charcoal flights and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average                 

Hi there. I love three-person cricket. I think it is a fun game but over the years I have come to the opinion that the only really good way to play it is to give points, not collect them, such that the person who closes all the numbers first, and has the fewest points (or tied with the fewest) wins. So for example if I win the cork, throw first and open the game with 5 20's then I open the 20 bed for myself, give 40 points to each of the other players, and since I have the 20's "closed" (cricket terminology is a whole nother discussion) I cannot be given any points when another player hits them.

Answering your question, I believe that there is no such thing as gentleman's rules in three-person cricket and a person should feel free to employ any strategy they choose. But this opinion may not apply to a three person game where you are collecting points for yourself and not inflicting them on your opponents. I think the dynamics of the game are slightly different when you are giving points, not collecting them. Did I misinterpret how you play the game?
I don't understand how someone can prevent anyone from collectiong points. Also, even if that was somehow possible, I haven't ever played multi player cricket competitively. It's only either singles or pairs here. And when we played cricket in more people, it was always the game for fun. What's more, we usually preferred the Cut Throat version that was far more cruell and fun than classic cricket...No space for sympathy. And no one expected any.

The only cricket etiquette I follow is that I wouldn't collect unneccessary points when playing against a far worse opponent just to humiliate him.
Now I read the Zero's post. That giving points thing is what I meant by the Cut Throat version of cricket.
Ahhhh, the great debate! I say, if I have no chance of winning, I shouldn’t be able to help/hurt either of the others, if anything I’d just pass my turn.
 ✯✯✯Mac-Attack99✯✯✯
༺Darts: 21.5 gm monster cobra I. no.5 soft tips༻
༺Flights: l-style Jelle klassen blackout༻
༺Shafts: Silver/black supergrip carbons༻
2019 180’s: 10/12
2019 Hat: 154/130
Favorite player: Jelle Klaasen
(°,,°)
Simple solution to your problem really is just play 01 games and all's good. Tongue Big Grin
Copycat you open up a healthy discussion here. Would be nice to know who you are and what you're all about with an introduction.
I kind of figured you were from the states shooting cricket games. I say all fare in love and war and the name of the game is to win at whatever means possible. If you're just playing for fun.............winning is fun.
I would never expect or want this, the player who's behind should play his normal game and close whatever. It's giving an unfair and unnecessary advantage to the player who needs points if he deliberately leaves a big number open. There will always be some way to gain points until the game is over
Monster Helios 3 22g
One80 Vice stems
Black shape L Style flights 
Gold champagne caps 
(11-23-2019, 03:15 AM)Great White North Wrote: Simple solution to your problem really is just play 01 games and all's good. Tongue Big Grin

You mean with counting, learning outshot combinations and those really difficult really small doubles and things?
p[Image: GEpKdcf.png] 
Current Board 
ONE80 Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore  charcoal flights and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average                 

(11-23-2019, 11:43 AM)ChrisTheFish Wrote:
(11-23-2019, 03:15 AM)Great White North Wrote: Simple solution to your problem really is just play 01 games and all's good. Tongue Big Grin

You mean with counting, learning outshot combinations and those really difficult really small doubles and things?

We combine the 2 (at least the doubles bit) where you play like cricket but need to hit 3 doubles and 3 trebles too so if you hit 140 you could take 2 trebles and a 20, 1 treble, 3 x 20s and 40 points or 3 x 20s and 80 points, makes it much more interesting!
Monster Helios 3 22g
One80 Vice stems
Black shape L Style flights 
Gold champagne caps 
(11-23-2019, 11:43 AM)ChrisTheFish Wrote:

Yep, dats da game!
[Image: bIcnxOK.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dart Etiquette Baloos 10 218 09-20-2019, 04:17 AM
Last Post: PREACHERMAN
  Breaking darting etiquette .... Borisbbadd 16 675 04-09-2019, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Borisbbadd