Muscle memory
How many of you nutz practice building muscle memory? I do this on 2 and 3 dart out shots by continuously throwing at them (even if I wire the darts on the miss side I keep the sequence going) 
Strange but it seems to work or is it just that practice makes you better?
EsoxJD aka WaterWolf  Tongue
Darts: unicorn T95 23g 

I train muscle memory / grouping in my warm up (5 visits) and between practice sessions (5-10 visits). For me it is just picking a target (usually T20,T19 or bull) and throw first dart. Where ever that first dart lands, the second and third dart must be within a bull’s diameter apart. That is my aim at least, I don’t keep track and don’t set any goals for that specific regime. Just a no-pressure sort of commercial break between sessions. Not sure if it really helps or if it is just due to practice, but I like to think so.
First walk on I always just chuck the dart toward the lower part of the board then gradually move up to the D20. Not aiming just in the general area.
I work on my muscle memory lifting a cold can of beer ..... Smile
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me .... I find bliss in my confusion.
That'll get you ready and only relax your game. Sounds like a plan!
Got to remember the cans lol.
EsoxJD aka WaterWolf  Tongue
Darts: unicorn T95 23g 

(11-08-2019, 11:18 AM)esoxJD Wrote: How many of you nutz practice building muscle memory? I do this on 2 and 3 dart out shots by continuously throwing at them (even if I wire the darts on the miss side I keep the sequence going) 
Strange but it seems to work or is it just that practice makes you better?

I do that but with trying to solidify parts of my throw. Like just throwing the dart at the board and focusing on my elblow. Then adding in focusing on my elbow and grip. Then add in another step.
I try to focus on the repetition of muscle action, but my muscle memory seems to have dementia from day to day.

I recall Eric Bristow saying that he built up his grouping by throwing at the last dart irrespective of where it went. Maybe it's worth trying.
(12-29-2019, 05:52 PM)Jefferz Wrote: I try to focus on the repetition of muscle action, but my muscle memory seems to have dementia from day to day.

I recall Eric Bristow saying that he built up his grouping by throwing at the last dart irrespective of where it went. Maybe it's worth trying.

I will try that later today throwing. I know for me, if i stop throwing for 5 minutes to do something around the house it takes a bit of throwing to get the memory back. It’s super annoying.
(12-29-2019, 07:41 PM)thet Wrote: I will try that later today throwing. I know for me, if i stop throwing for 5 minutes to do something around the house it takes a bit of throwing to get the memory back. It’s super annoying.
Me too. I have tended to throw for accuracy - if it misses(the default case) the target then I adjust my throw for the next dart to try to miss less badly.
As you say, even a trip to the gents can change everything.
(12-29-2019, 08:20 PM)Jefferz Wrote:
(12-29-2019, 07:41 PM)thet Wrote: I will try that later today throwing. I know for me, if i stop throwing for 5 minutes to do something around the house it takes a bit of throwing to get the memory back. It’s super annoying.
Me too. I have tended to throw for accuracy - if it misses(the default case) the target then I adjust my throw for the next dart to try to miss less badly.
As you say, even a trip to the gents can change everything.

So I had a discussion with someone I throw with weekly who is super competitive. We have dart night two nights a week at someones house with 2 boards. If we are playing 6 people on one board with teams I usually throw like crap. If we are throwing 2 teams of two on two boards I throw significantly better.

We have come to the conclusion that the downtime and slowness for us causes us to throw like crap.
My muscles remember very well how to hit T1 and T5. Problem is they forget how I do it when I hit T20.
Great forum !
Soft Tips on One80 Galdiator 2.

2020 180's: 5
Best 501 Leg: 24
Best game average @ Prodarter: 47,83
Highest out : 62
Best double % : 18 (7/39)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Practice for muscle memory Ventuss 13 1,817 04-13-2017, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Paddywaugh