Elbow position
I'm sure this has been covered but i cant seem to find the answer i'm looking for.  I've been throwing 3 years and obsessed on improving.   I hear about keeping the elbow up and the upper arm level to the ground.  Well, i can't get it to that level without the dart being way over my head.   So i keep it so that im aiming between the knuckles on my thumb.  Seems to get the dart to the board with less effort but the accuracy has suffered(not that it was great to begin with.)   Anyway, my question is should the elbow be thrust out towards the target while setting up?   Sure, i understand the elbow should be a hinge and nothing else should be moving.  But should it be thrust out to the point where i have to fight/strain to keep it up? That in itself introduces stress, it does not feel natural.  Will it become natural with more practice or should i retreat to a comfortable setup, which means a lower hanging elbow?
(11-08-2019, 12:17 AM)dave115 Wrote: I'm sure this has been covered but i cant seem to find the answer i'm looking for.  ...

This elbow business bothered me a lot when I started learning in earnest at the beginning of the year.  I kept reading things like "point your elbow at the board" or "keep your upper arm parallel to the ground".   These bits of advice were impossible for me so I'm guessing they'd be impossible for a lot of people.

I just concentrate on two elbow related issues (after I've comfortably sighted up).

1. Not dropping my elbow once I've sighted up.
2. My elbow will lift as a result of the throw pulling it up but that's fine. I don't want the elbow rising as a result of a shoulder/upper arm lift.

I'm not a brilliant darts player by the way but I definitely do better when I control my elbow as mentioned.
It highly depends on a person's height. Shorter people need to lift the elbow higher. Taller people throws with much less effort.

No need to follow these 'tips'. Very personal stuff. Professionals like Jocky Wilson throws as if the darts have strong kickbacks, yet still hit with pinpoint accuracy.

I don't want to look like an "armpit sniffer"
Fav Dart : Harrows Nemesis 20g softip
Shaft      : Harrows Heavy Metal 4g brass
Flight      : Harrows Graflite
Points     : Cosmo Fit Point + , CHEAP Harrows Conversion Points
Board     : Harrows Pro Matchplay
Machine  : VSPhoenix
OCD Darter!! Shy

Came across this a while back

https://www.dartbase.com/technics.htm
(11-08-2019, 12:17 AM)dave115 Wrote: I'm sure this has been covered but i cant seem to find the answer i'm looking for.  I've been throwing 3 years and obsessed on improving.   I hear about keeping the elbow up and the upper arm level to the ground.  Well, i can't get it to that level without the dart being way over my head.   So i keep it so that im aiming between the knuckles on my thumb.  Seems to get the dart to the board with less effort but the accuracy has suffered(not that it was great to begin with.)   Anyway, my question is should the elbow be thrust out towards the target while setting up?   Sure, i understand the elbow should be a hinge and nothing else should be moving.  But should it be thrust out to the point where i have to fight/strain to keep it up? That in itself introduces stress, it does not feel natural.  Will it become natural with more practice or should i retreat to a comfortable setup, which means a lower hanging elbow?

Hi Dave115,
Had the same doubts on this matter, re-watching some PVR’ed World Championshps from last year, I noticed basically most of the pros elbow/arm setup lowers from the original T20 setup when going to a T19 cover shot.

Some lower their setup arm/elbow from the shoulder and you see there eyes move to the new target, some will tilt the head as well, others will have the same setup and just tilt at the waist to change the whole upper body position.
It’s all a personal thing, but the common thing is the elbow reference point does drop slightly so the upper arm is not parallel to the floor.

As mentioned by others, just don’t drop the elbow when you throw regardless of your setup position.

Find what works for you and give yourself time to develop consistency with it.

Cheers
180’s
2018 - 0
2019 - 11

Iv’e been working on my accuracy. I’ve gone from 53.6% to 92.8% getting 3 darts in the foam ring around my Winmau !
For me,
Starting cold , I,e. First darts of the day. I am throwing pretty loosely. Not a straight arm or elbow. My right arm is actually to the left at about 10PM WITH MY elbow at about 5pm.

I throw like this , hitting well on target....eventually My shoulder , elbow and arm warm up and it’s more comfortable my to work to get my at 12 and elbow at 1.
Still throwing loosely. Not paying attention to dropping. Then slowly I am throwing as if my arm is a hinge. Straight release.

Less push. More pendallum and good timing on release....

For me, the dropping of the elbow. It does happen. But I don’t over think it.

I found out today, after a year, my friend noticed that while aiming, my hand is moving back and forth like a tremor, but i like to think it’s me rolling the darts in My hand finding my grip. But upon close examination, I am doing a bit of aiming by rocking the dart slightly back in forth. I identify it is a nervous shake.....which I’ve never noticed. I may try and turn it into a more controlled sim technique , going back and forth 2-3 inches before draw and release.

The only time I dropped my elbow , I was throwing for a few weeks and I was doing this weird drop down push off after I’d draw back. I kind of liked it. It acted as a SPRING. IF YOU CAN IMAGINE IT,

GOod luck!
(11-08-2019, 12:17 AM)dave115 Wrote:    Anyway, my question is should the elbow be thrust out towards the target while setting up? 
 Sure, i understand the elbow should be a hinge and nothing else should be moving.  But should it be thrust out to the point where i have to fight/strain to keep it up? That in itself introduces stress, it does not feel natural.  Will it become natural with more practice or should i retreat to a comfortable setup, which means a lower hanging elbow?

I DOnt believe the elbow should be thurstt out toward some target while setting up. That’s sounds uncomfortable and un natural .

What you say about the hinge is a tremendous understanding of how darts can be throw at wonderfully consistent standards.
A hinge does one thing, two directions. Back and forth, no pivots, strays , strenous movements.

Just back and forth.

If you can get your throw down to a hinge. That’s  a great focus point.

And since I read your description of that, I have being able to visualize My throw as a hinge. A simple , consistent movement.
(11-08-2019, 12:17 AM)dave115 Wrote: I'm sure this has been covered but i cant seem to find the answer i'm looking for.  I've been throwing 3 years and obsessed on improving.   I hear about keeping the elbow up and the upper arm level to the ground.  Well, i can't get it to that level without the dart being way over my head.   So i keep it so that im aiming between the knuckles on my thumb.  Seems to get the dart to the board with less effort but the accuracy has suffered(not that it was great to begin with.)   Anyway, my question is should the elbow be thrust out towards the target while setting up?   Sure, i understand the elbow should be a hinge and nothing else should be moving.  But should it be thrust out to the point where i have to fight/strain to keep it up? That in itself introduces stress, it does not feel natural.  Will it become natural with more practice or should i retreat to a comfortable setup, which means a lower hanging elbow?

My dad always said that the only key element you need is finding something that you can repeat the exact same way consistently. The goal of darts is to turn your arm into something resembling a machine that throws the dart the same way every time. As long as you have some follow through to it you'll find more consistency. If I changed my throw at all growing up it was by looking at youtube videos of pros because hey, they have to be doing something correct right? What you'll find is the same repeated action but elbows and grips and everything different for every person.

Hope this helps!

-Miles
Thank you all for your thoughts and advise.  
My feelings on darts is to perfect my stroke and not get too hung up on missing my target at this point.   When everything goes correct, the dart almost launches itself without a hint of snatching.

I find the key foundation is not to move.  Any unnecessary movement of my body reduces the energy of the "catapult effect" of the elbow.   Not moving is a discipline in itself that does not come easy for me. Not only large movements that are obvious to those watching.  But even minute ones where you felt something go wrong.  A slight twisting of the torso, the lifting the head to see the flight of the dart,  etc.  Also the recoil of the body while launching.  Which soaks up some of the energy I spoke of.

Still body, hinged elbow and relaxed follow through .  When it all comes together, I can  practically place the dart in the board.   Also as Steve Beaton said in an interview,  "the less you move, the less can go wrong.". 

Oh well, just my ramblings on a Saturday morning, lol.
Have a good weekend everyone.
Look here. There's a video posted by Troll and it's kind of about what you ask.
https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...#pid582881

I myself personally think that keeping your elbow up is a good thing. However, I mean it like don't let your elbow go too low due to a fatigue etc. I don't mean it like try throwing uncomfortably just because someone else thinks it works for him. It did help me to focus on my elbow back then but it isn't something I'd be focused on all the time.