HELP PLEASE
Thanks to everyone, such helpful comments were much appreciated. Think I will change these shafts, flights continually coming out and as mentioned before, difficult to fit in.  Are the Stock Plastic screw shafts that come with most standard sets still OK or should I look for something different ?
I think its a personal thing, but, my own prefered shafts are soft nylon types, especially if I am intending to play in the pub, or, outside of using my own board at home (for ease of set up, be sure to take a spare set of shafts (just in case)).

Most of the serious players (around here, any way) tend to use harrows super grip shafts (in white, or, black). They tend to be a bit more expensive than stock shafts, but, last a long time and lock the flights on better.

The stock, soft plastic / nylon ones are the type I  personally tend to use the most, they are cheap and cheerful, easy to set up and replace, and personally I tend to have a few different lengths to try out ((at home) mainly 36 mm or 41 mm in length, they can vary a bit depending on the maker). I have found that over time with some of the cheaper ones, that the shafts, tend to open up and not grip the flight so good (especially with thick 100 micron flights) because, they are so, cheap, thats when you know its time to change them. You can partly overcome this problem, if you wanted, by fitting either a round spring type flight grip, or, other type like fitted to the super grips.

There are a lot of different shaft types these days, but, those mentioned should definately be good enough to get you, throwing your darts, for quite a while. A few sets of cheap (plastic / nylon) standard type shafts, is probably a good idea, in different lengths (two or three sets of each different length you want to try out), so, that you can find the shaft length you prefer, as well. Once you know your prefered length, you can go from there with shaft choices and will be more able to know your prefered length, for next time you need some new ones.

Personally I am fine with cheap soft nylon / plastic, ones, but, its a personal thing, basically, use what ever you feel happy  with, there are quirks and good and bad points on the different dart shafts, so, its partly a matter of getting used to them, I guess and finding, what you prefer and feel happy with personally.

As a little side note, the more complexed technical type stuff, regarding set ups and things (and opinions etc) you can probably find, most things you need to know browsing on this site and reading some of the ideas and thoughts in posts, of other users.
Yes its me, I checked in the mirror. 

Current preferred weight 19 to 23 grams, with 21 gram, being my current favourate.

Favourate current darts set up :- 21 grams 46 to 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts, standard flights.
Whist you are working out what works best I would definitely buy the cheap nylon stems with springs. Buy a couple of sets in the three main lengths, short, in between (also called Tweenies) and medium. Then just play around to find what length suits you. Once you know you can always get yourself some flashy nylon stems. Mind you MVG still uses the cheapo black short nylon stems and he’s not a bad player lol
(10-06-2019, 09:22 AM)tuanton Wrote: Thanks to everyone, such helpful comments were much appreciated. Think I will change these shafts, flights continually coming out and as mentioned before, difficult to fit in.  Are the Stock Plastic screw shafts that come with most standard sets still OK or should I look for something different ?

Seems everyone starting - or getting back into darts - has to make this journey and figure out what works best for them.  This thread from our Beginner's Guide is still useful - even if nearly 5 years old. Wink :

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...#pid137006

I'd argue against the section on "Metal stem ring (thin style)" as the best bang for your buck.  IMO regular old spring rings that come on generic nylon stems are the best starting option.  And I don't recommend slot lock rings without punching the flight either.

2cents
I like the Designa Durable Nylon Stems @ 18p a set (if you buy 10+ sets):

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/index.php?...34_866_436

They don't come with springs so I buy a bulk pack of Designa springs (this is the 50 set pack for 3.60 GBP):

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_in...s_id=62117
B: 22g   S: Short   F: Shape   180s: 4/25
(10-06-2019, 02:20 PM)jt4527 Wrote: I like the Designa Durable Nylon Stems @ 18p a set (if you buy 10+ sets):

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/index.php?...34_866_436

They don't come with springs so I buy a bulk pack of Designa springs (this is the 50 set pack for 3.60 GBP):

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_in...s_id=62117

I have book marked them stems  Smile thanks.
Yes its me, I checked in the mirror. 

Current preferred weight 19 to 23 grams, with 21 gram, being my current favourate.

Favourate current darts set up :- 21 grams 46 to 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts, standard flights.
(10-06-2019, 09:22 AM)tuanton Wrote: Thanks to everyone, such helpful comments were much appreciated. Think I will change these shafts, flights continually coming out and as mentioned before, difficult to fit in.  Are the Stock Plastic screw shafts that come with most standard sets still OK or should I look for something different ?
Just go with what ever brand darts your using for etc.. if you use Target get some Target Pro Grips or if unicorn the Two Tone Stems etc..

Sent from my Nokia 2.2 using Tapatalk