MarcTH's collection of rare and interesting darts
General introduction

Hi all,

Since I own a modest selection of rare and interesting darts, I was looking for a way to share the stories behind these darts as well as some pictures. Therefore the idea of this topic is to cover all the sets I own. I will write a post from time to time which gives you the opportunity to react to every individual set posted, and posting from time-to-time will keep the topic interesting and actual.

Have fun reading and watching, and when you’ve got some questions or specific requests, please let me know.

Darts that were featured up to now:
Unicorn Contender Colin Osborne - 20 grams
Unicorn Global Paul Nicholson - 20 grams
McKicks Mighty Grip - 23 grams
Currently throwing: Harrows Wayne Mardle 24 grams

180's in 2018: 14 
180's in 2019: 6 (28-11-2019)
Unicorn Contender Colin Osborne - 20 grams

Colin Osborne is a player I personally don’t know a lot about. To my knowledge Unicorn is the first brand that released a Colin Osborne signature dart. This particular example is one of the very early models that can be recognised by the somewhat longer smooth section on the rear of the barrels. Later models featured a smaller smooth bit that can be clearly seen on internet pictures. I can’t find an example in one of the Unicorn Books of Darts where the longer smooth part can be seen.

The darts feature a very classic ring grip that goes all the way except for the smooth signature part. It’s not very grippy, especially for me since I grip the dart at the smooth section. Otherwise there isn’t much to tell about the darts; a simple, classic set.

Pictures

[IMG=Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile ]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register

[IMG=Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile ]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register

Next up: Unicorn Global Paul Nicholson 20 grams

Nice darts. I have them too. In 20g, this type. I don't know why, I thought they were 95%. Maybe because they're so tiny.
I loved the gold version as the coating really improved the feel for me
(09-30-2019, 05:04 PM)elevendarter Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
Ok! Could it be you own a different variation, since mine says it's 90% tungsten on the packaging? I don't know if they changed the tungsten percentage later on. They sure are tiny though Smile

(09-30-2019, 06:24 PM)MarcTH Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
Not likely. I just thought. Here's a pic of those mine. Somewhere in the middle...with those ugly points that I have already repointed. I bought them from eBay unboxed.

[IMG]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register
How that grip feels after time ?
180-2(32)
[IMG]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register

(09-30-2019, 09:19 PM)Troll Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
I have to admit I haven't been using them long enough to give you a substantiated answer on that question...

(09-30-2019, 06:24 PM)MarcTH Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
I have the same set. The 20g version (used by the player) were the only weight made in 95% tungsten. It says so on the packaging if you look closely.
Link to closeup of package: Wink

https://i.imgur.com/TRAISLs.png
I wasn't aware of that! Awesome, these things are what forums are all about Smile

(09-30-2019, 09:19 PM)Troll Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
As I've just found out, I've got the same grip also on my 21g Unicorn Chris Aubrey darts that I have used more than the Osbournes and the grip still feels very good.
Unicorn Global Paul Nicholson - 20 grams

Many people will know Paul Nicholson as the Players Championship finals winner in 2010, as well as being an eccentric character on the darts circuit not too long ago. Nowadays Paul is regularly seen and heard as a pundit or commentator on the PDC tournaments, and is very knowledgeable concerning the technical aspect of playing darts, darts equipment and the use of it.

Before Paul moved to the company Winmau that currently manufactures his signature dart he was a member of team Unicorn, under the Global range. During his time with Unicorn he used several darts; a full-black dart, a natural tungsten dart, and this one which was his first Unicorn model, first seen in the 2010 Unicorn Book of Darts. The darts all featured the same grip pattern but differed in coating and color.

This dart, the Unicorn Global Paul Nicholson dart was only featured in 20 gram which was the weight Paul used himself. The dart features a gripper finish which was also featured on several other Unicorn darts. The ring grip pattern features red paint in the grooves which gives the dart a unique look and results in a comfortable grip.

There isn’t any footage on YouTube where he is seen using this specific dart, which is because Paul didn’t use this dart for a long time. Like I said the dart was first featured in the 2010 Unicorn Book of Darts, quite soon after this Unicorn released the full-black Nicholson dart which Paul used on TV in that same year.

Next up: McKicks Mighty Grip 23 grams

McKicks Premium Whites / Mighty Grip - 23 grams

Many of you will recognise this infamous set of darts; the McKicks Premium Whites / Mighty Grip. Infamous hence the fact many are convinced that this is the set of darts Michael van Gerwen used for many years, and still uses to this day. In an older YouTube video (that you can find over here: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile ) it can be seen that Michael switches from his older Unicorn Phil Taylor darts to a different set of darts. A set that is very similar to the dart that would later on become his signature XQMax model. Michael switched to this dart before he was a well-known player, as evidenced by the narrator of the video. Back then his signature model obviously wasn’t around, which makes many people believe it was the McKicks dart he switched to. Later on, XQMax based their signature model on the old, beaten up McKicks darts Michael still uses to this day. Some say Michael uses his oldest McKicks set during the main TV tournaments like the World Championship and the Matchplay, and uses several other McKicks sets during floor tournaments and EuroTour events. I’ve even heard people say he hands out McKicks sets to his mates to play with, which will wear down the darts in a way Michael can play with them on the stages later on.

All in all the McKicks Mighty Grip darts have caused quite the stir and many stories about them circulate. As for myself; I don’t really mind if it’s the actual darts Michael uses. The fact that a single set of darts can cause such a lively discussion is enough for me to include a set in my collection. Please let me know what you personally think!

Enough with the background information; what about the darts themselves? Actually, there isn’t much to say about these darts. They feature the typical Michael van Gerwen many people will recognize from TV or the many signature sets that are on the market. The darts feature two main grip patterns; a small section at the front and a twice as big section at the middle / rear part of the barrel. Both sections feature two ring grip patterns. One big difference compared to the current XQMax model; the McKicks darts have black paint in the grooves which makes the McKicks darts slightly less grippy compared to the XQMax model. 

Next up: Unicorn Adrian Lewis Black Titanium 21 gram

Unicorn Adrian Lewis Black Titanium - 21 grams

This set was offered to me by a person I knew through my local darts league. He had his set laying around and didn’t use them anymore. I asked if he was looking to sell them and I was able to take the set off his hands for a great price. Normally I collect the complete, boxed sets of darts but since the price was right and it was an interesting set I chose to buy them.

This particular set of Unicorn Adrian Lewis darts features the ‘Black Titanium’ coating, which means the barrels are fully black, except for the signature. I personally think this range of darts is one of the best looking barrel styles Unicorn ever produced, from packaging to the darts themselves. The coating feels great and won’t chip or scratch; the patina you see on these darts is acquired by using them a lot and is caused simply by holding, throwing and touching the darts. The darts don’t feature the tapered nose but the ‘double bullnose’, which means the front of the barrel isn’t tapered, but rather flat.

All in all it’s a great set to own; an iconic barrel that is very well known, a great coating which resulted in an awesome look, and a quite rare find in the Black Titanium edition.

Next up: Unicorn Golden Titanium Tungsten 22 grams

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star My darts 'collection'... Tim1984 26 8,185 07-11-2019, 04:18 AM
Last Post: CantstopDarting