Red Dragon Arron Monk 22g
Hey all,

So I pulled the trigger and bought the new Arron Monk darts from Red Dragon.  I couldn't find a set of the previous version Unicorns, so I thought I would try these.  The first thing I noticed is they feel really light to me.  I normally through 23, or 24g.  I know this isn't a huge swing in weight, but strange nonetheless.  Upon picking them up, they felt like they had a scallop.  Measured then with my caliper, and they don't (6.4mm).  I think it's the way that the nose tapers.  Possibly the shape of it.  The shape of that nose reminds me of the target careera c10.  Maybe that's why my brain was thinking there is a scallop when there is not.  They aren't overly grippy, nor are they overly smooth.  I would say a 3 out of 5?  I didn't use the stock set up.  I have been throwing with my number 5 slim carbon cosmos with a shape air flight.  They seem to fly decent, but I am spraying them as they just feel really light to me.  I have been throwing a very grippy 24g wolfram infinity, so possibly that two grams is putting me off.  They are nice looking darts, but the green looks a little more faint in person than it did on the Red Dragon site.  People that throw from the front might like those little rings on the nose.  Since I am a mid to rear gripper, that doesn't do much for me personally.  The length is great at just under 51mm. They feel very quality.  Not sure if they will make it to be match darts.  I'm on the fence as when I picked them up, they didn't really blow me away.  I really want to love them.  We will see.  I wish they made them in 24 g.  Anyway, they might be worth checking out if you like a medium grip, straight barrel dart in 22gm.  They go for £37.40, and for me shipped to the US they were $56.66.  I ordered them on 9/15 and the arrived on 9/25.  Also, be aware that at least in the states, they are shipped and require signature.  I had to go to the post office to pick them up.  Anyway, decent darts, not quite sure if they are the ones for me yet.  Here's a picture:

Thanks,
Jarrod

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks for the share, I like how you tested it with the accessories you like it set up with; the cosmo shafts and flights.
I appreciate how you shared how you are not quite sold on if they are working for you yet. How long does it usually take you to get used to a new barrel?
I have heard some people say that you will know straight away, but most of the barrels i like have been ones that I got used to over 3 weeks of solid throwing.
(09-30-2019, 03:33 AM)blink180 Wrote: Thanks for the share, I like how you tested it with the accessories you like it set up with; the cosmo shafts and flights.
I  appreciate how you shared how you are not quite sold on if they are working for you yet. How long does it usually take you to get used to a new barrel?
I have heard some people say that you will know straight away, but most of the barrels i like have been ones that I got used to over 3 weeks of solid throwing.

Hey thanks!  Yeah, I tend to use the same Cosmo setup in multiple lengths.  I found that the air shape seems to work best for me, and the slim carbon shaft spinning.  I have various lengths of that same shaft.  That way I can work with the different barrel lengths and weights to see what works.  For me, it's usually a size number 4, 5, or 6.  I like the Cosmo set up, just for the fact that I never have to pick flights up off the floor.  I tried the L-style champange ring set up too with silent spin shafts, and that's a very nice set up, with minimal flights hitting the ground, but still more so than the Cosmo.

Normally, I can tell right away if I'm going to like a barrel or not.  Sometimes I'm on the fence.  For me, I need a mid level grip.  I have tried the shark, razor grip and found it to be too grippy.  I don't like when I'm throwing a dart and it feels like I'm getting paper cuts on my fingers.  Too little grip and I'm slipping all over.  I have found that normally I like the barrel under 52 mm.  If I throw anything longer, my darts tend to come in on a sideways angle and flop around from left to right too much in flight.  Recently, I'm starting to prefer a heavier dart at 24 grams, because when I'm playing matches and my adrenaline kicks up, darts tend to feel lighter to me.

All that said, to answer your question, I threw the same set of darts from 91 to 2015.  They wore out, so I've been trying to find a replacement and haven't really been satisfied yet.  For me, the time it takes to get used to a dart isn't very long if I like it.  I think in the long run though, changing darts all the time kind of hurts your feel.  Some say it takes a good half a season to get used to a new set.  Possibly using the same shaft/flight combo helps me get used to them more quickly?  There are some people that say you should be able to throw any set of darts the same and it is all in your fundamentals.  That's not the case for me.  It's not really just a preference thing.  I can literally see differences in flight path by switching sets.  It is really fun to experiment with new darts, also very addicting. Smile
I liked the looks of these right from the first release. Hope they work for you and if not plenty of people are collecting his darts and you'll have no problem to resell them. Thanks for the post em up and honest review