Mentored? Self-taught ? Progression through league plays?
howdy!

I understand a lot of you have shared your experience for your introduction into darts in another thread.

I was Wondering the other night.

Just about dart players and they’re success with the game (skill wise).

If any of you were involved early on with darts as a child by your father or family’s member or  close  friends who were original darts nuts and encouraged the odd game of darts, or was is just a friendly house game. (I’m aware certain countries, darts is mega popular , so this idea is probably common.)

was darts in your life early on and remained ingrained throughout your development , and you feel you owe your performance levels of playing darts to that account.

Or,
We’re you possibly in a darts league as a youth and developed early on with your skill?

Or, did you have a mentor/friend who you looked up to and wanted to play like them and perform as they did, one day beating them, I would imagine that would be a favourable circumstance ending in a very refined skill level

OR, did you pick up darts later in life 20s-30s-40s-50s-60s-70s and become a self taught player , if so, how would you rank your development as having just practiced alone with the help of internent resources and darting tips!?

Final
We’re a social person and decided to get into darts , with little or some past experiences, and decided to join a league, and stuck with it and developed your skills socially with the help of other fellow league players. And how did this scenario work out for your development of dart skills and quality of game play!

Only answer if you feel comfortable and feel your response is going to be helpful to future readers.
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Born and raised in N. Ireland. I started out casually throwing at a paper board on the back of my shed door around age 9. Darts was on the TV a lot back in the 80s and the stars were wells known by the general public. I recall having a Nodor bristle board in my bedroom around age 11 and throwing more regularly on my own and with my brothers. Then I kind of stopped for a couple of years but picked it up to a lesser extent with friends (along with pool) from age 15-18. Had never played competitively at this stage.
I went to university in England and we had a board in our shared lodgings. I joined a league for two years and played to a decent standard and did well. Then life happened and at 21 I really didn’t play again until this year (age 44) apart from the odd throw in a pub. Now I am playing competitively in a league and really engaged with the game (read obsessed).
When I started up again 4 months ago I was averaging around 50, now that is up to 70+ and I feel there is more to come, especially as I play better throwers. I guess overall I just always had a love for the game, the entertainment it offers and the friendships. The motivation comes from within and knowing that you can do a large part of what the pros do such as big checkouts and 180’s and there is always room to improve.
For me, it was pretty much all 3 aspects for my game to develop. Initially I sought out better players than myself and listened to what they had to say about how to improve my game, especially when seeking that all important out shot progression.

Then once I got into the game and wanted to progress more, it was off to league play and that was a great source of confidence building as I improved and started beating people I would have had a hard time competing with just months earlier. Soon I was hitting the blind draw money tournaments on many Friday and Saturday nights and was doing pretty well for myself.

The above, combined with nice practice sessions at home alone and at the local watering holes against league players after work served my game progress well.

I no longer play in league, but do get in about 10+ hours a week with solo practice sessions and games against league players either in the man cave or at the local darts bar.
gumbo2176
I started when I was young. My Uncle would pick me up after school and we would play for hours. We did play a few tournaments and I won a couple. As I grew up I kinda fell out of the game. Then in my late 30s I was asked to sub on a league a few times and the bug bit me, so I asked to be placed on a team. I now have been playing for a few years growing and learning. I have a board at home to practice on to attempt to get better. I also am looking to find "that set of darts so I am purchasing "collecting" until I find them.
I only started 2 years ago at 26. I pretty much tried to learn from seeing the pros on YouTube, then I got recruited by a few teams in different leagues and managed to find incremental improvements. They changed my throw, tried to stop my habit of changing darts every week (which I didn't listen till just recently) and helped me understand the culture of soft tip over steel as it's the dominant form of darts. I even attended small mini classes, and had training sessions that gave me new perspective in my game and throw. Eventually led to winning 2 trophies in my first year. The last year has been a dry spell with the setback of dartitis.

I wish I had the guts to pursue it earlier in life, but I was always scared because, I hated pubs and I assumed you had to drink to play darts. Turns out, I was wrong. If I had the guts, I'd probably would've started darts around 22 or so when I got back to watching the PDC again on a regular basis.

I would say it has been league experience that has groomed me the most. I had mentors here and there, but the leagues are what hardened me most. Now though, I'm battling the occasional dartitis spell, along with a minor injury to the right arm at the moment. Will have to get out of it all soon, and just find that self belief again. People use to nickname me 'RVB' because I used to use his dart. Now they compare me to him as I shake my head as much as he does at times.
Current Dart in Use: Quantum Darts Paradox 17.5gm
(09-27-2019, 03:46 PM)LethalEagle Wrote: I would say it has been league experience that has groomed me the most. I had mentors here and there, but the leagues are what hardened me most.

Thank you for your post. Ups and downs in your development story! The entire post was much a
Appreciated, this quoted line about your league experience  being the most impressionable on your progression   Is what i liked reading! 

Thank you everyone for your detailed progression through your dart throwing paths!
(09-27-2019, 02:51 PM)ksarkozi Wrote: I started when I was young.  My Uncle would pick me up after school and we would play for hours.  We did play a few tournaments and I won a couple.  As I grew up I kinda fell out of the game.  Then in my late 30s I was asked to sub on a league a few times and the bug bit me, so I asked to be placed on a team.  I now have been playing for a few years growing and learning.  I have a board at home to practice on to attempt to get better.  I also am looking to find "that set of darts so I am purchasing "collecting" until I find them.

Thanks for that input!

Do you mind me asking, do you think that having had that introduction at a young age and partnership with your uncles influence in darts helped you when you got back into darts and subbin* in the leagues? 
Did you have to relearn some things, or unlearn? The big question,
 do you think you are a ...more well rounded player because of your early training ?

I’m trying to understand if having stopped playing for so long after playing in younger years, would you be able to pick back up where you left off, or maybe more so, Have a easier time re introducing yourself !

Thanks! Good luck
(09-27-2019, 02:41 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: For me, it was pretty much all 3 aspects for my game to develop.     Initially I sought out better players than myself and listened to what they had to say about how to improve my game, especially when seeking that all important out shot progression.

Then once I got into the game and wanted to progress more, it was off to league play and that was a great source of confidence building as I improved and started beating people I would have had a hard time competing with just months earlier.    Soon I was hitting the blind draw money tournaments on many Friday and Saturday nights and was doing pretty well for myself.

The above, combined with nice practice sessions at home alone and at the local watering holes against league players after work served my game progress well.

I no longer play in league, but do get in about 10+ hours a week with solo practice sessions and games against league players either in the man cave or at the local darts bar.

Text book progression development!
Thanks for putting it into proper words and format , really helps visualize the model of what it takes to commit to something and excel! (Darts in this case)

I guess what I am trying to do with this thread , can’t be defined by one single persons “story” , as the story itself will change, but the dependants like, commitment, dedication , Passion will be in everyone’s hard drive.

I am personally interested in how everyone came to the game of darts and found they’re way navigating the board. But also I wanted to see if there may have been a pattern in certain players backgrounds who have truly rocked the mainstream skill level.. . Such as early introduction or just  being exposed to darts culture . Or like you Gumbo, sheer will power and tactful engagement into the game of darts. Well played sir.

To really dive into it, pro players background would be a good place to investigate.

I don’t have any expose on my influence into darts . .then again I am but just a novice! . No early introduction aside from a handful of tosses at a bullseye when I was under 10.....

I am at the stage of having to conquer fluster and nerves before I commit to a league. Which I am sure would help me develop my outshot exposure..... I am just under the impression that you would not get a lot of actual throwing  time being in a league match....I guess there are many other benefits to the league aspect that would progress a player....like playing against more experienced players, learning from what they tell you, and watching them , as with any thing. And To shoot myself in the foot with this one, MAYBE less throwing time is in fact a key in progression , as you have to make your darts count! SO the pressure may make you develop a more accurate throw 

Do I I believe league match is a step that must be taken to advance your skill level.....yes I think so....
(09-28-2019, 01:08 AM)CalixNL Wrote: I am at the stage of having to conquer fluster and nerves before I commit to a league. Which I am sure would help me develop my outshot exposure.....

I am 53 years old, living in a province next door to you. For as long as I remember, I've had a dartboard in my house. I remember throwing when I was in my teens. I did throw a lot back then but I would say my addiction kicked in maybe 20 years ago.

I have only played in mixed/fun leagues because honestly, I don't have the skill to compete at higher levels. Oh, when I am on my practice board, I can bang in good scores, I hit a 180 last night like I do it all the time. I will say that I am pretty good at finishing games. I have no nerves on doubles at all....but that's another story. I think switching darts over and over has taken its toll on my game...again that's another story.

As far as your quote above goes....I say get in a league sooner than later. Because really, what's more important - having a great average in your basement or when it really matters?

The only true way to develop and learn is in actual matches. Take your lumps, go home, lick your wounds and come back with a vengeance!!!

Good luck and happy darting!!!
(09-28-2019, 12:45 PM)Nucky Wrote:
(09-28-2019, 01:08 AM)CalixNL Wrote: I am at the stage of having to conquer fluster and nerves before I commit to a league. Which I am sure would help me develop my outshot exposure.....

The only true way to develop and learn is in actual matches. Take your lumps, go home, lick your wounds and come back with a vengeance!!!

Good luck and happy darting!!!

I agree with Nucky on this.    You will never get the jitters taken care of just playing at home against nobody, no matter how well you throw.    

The only thing I've found to deal with nerves in a match is to play against people when it counts for something, even if it's nothing more than a league night win.     Every time you step to the oche in a real match, the easier it gets.

Oh, and in 01 games, the worst thing you can do is fret over what your opponent is throwing for score if you have a couple bad turns.    All that does is add more pressure for you to throw high scores to keep up.    And remember, it's not until the out-shot is hit for the game to be over.     I've known lots of people who can score heavily, but struggle on the out-shot for the win.   Basically, just play the board, not your opponent.
gumbo2176
I Appreciate the response!

I will have to find a pub I’m comfortable with, lol there’s a good few, and just head for a few blind draws, and hopefully I can limit my personal expectations and just have fun. 

From there, maybe find a a team sub for or join !

I really Did enjoy the mixed blind double knockouts I played. . . SO I’ll see if I can find a decent crowd.. joining a team, I feel I would need to be able to offer my 100%commitment too, and I Am not sure I can offer  That right now , I wouldn’t want to let anyone down if I couldn’t guarentee my involvement.
However The few people i know who play and I have spoke with told me ths players miss games all the time ....! Life I guess  

THanks gumbo and nucky.

It is all about fun for me, but I guess it’s even funner playing and competing with and against like minded individuals , lol
I  remember having one of those pressed paper boards when I was 8 or 10, it was probably a xmas present.
I my early teens I would go around to a mates house and play 4 nights a week.
When we were 16 we'd head off down to the local pub and play there, no one cared we were under age, mind you we couldn't afford to buy drinks anyway.
I have to say that this was the best thing we did, in the pub the game was 301 double in, double out, winner stays on and that game, against players as good as you or better than you, teaches you everything about not giving up, pressure, and hitting your doubles!
Learning how to hit doubles, under pressure, at an early age has held me in good stead ever since.
I've played off an on for over 40 years, I can honestly say that right now I'm playing the best darts of my life, I'm still the best doubles hitter I know!
One of the things I've noticed over the years is, it's amazing how a better player than you can pull you along and make you up your own game.
The flip side of that is, that it is very easy to let a player not as good as you, drag you down.

No one in my family plays darts, I suppose I'm self taught.
I play in a couple of leagues currently, one is a much better standard than the other but they're both good fun, which is the main thing, really!
Why do I play?  Well it's something you can lose yourself in for an hour or so everyday, clear your mind of everything else and concentrate on the board and the darts in your hand!
I come from a darting family and my dad taught me the all the basics (where to stand, how to finish etc..), he never told me how to hold or throw the dart though. He did give me lots of advice, especially after he signed me up to his team when I was 17-18.
The advice he gave me is now what I try and teach my son when he wants to play.
As a kid, we had the cheap-ass board with the baseball game on the reverse side. No doubt we used the cheap-ass brass darts with molded stem and flight.

As a teenager and young adult, moved up to nicer board at the bars, but still used the cheap-ass brass darts.

As a 'darter', moved to brisal boards and nicer cheap-ass darts and eventually Bottelsen Hammer Heads. Now throwing even nicer, less weighted fixed point darts.

I was self-taught the whole time, until I started playing in the city dart league. THAT'S where I got educated and mentored. My stance, address, grip, gear and release is an ever evolving en-devour always toward better competitive play.

I've turned to dart forums in the past year, but almost, it's league play that has advance my game. Unfortunately, the multiple spinal and shoulder surgeries has caused me to adapt my game accordingly. It will never be what it was, and if I may say, it used to be a damned good game. Now I'm okay with a win/loss record north of .500 and a few all-star points to boot.

SPACE FOR RENT

(09-30-2019, 02:29 AM)kundalini Wrote: As a kid, we had the cheap-ass board with the baseball game on the reverse side.  No doubt we used the cheap-ass brass darts with molded stem and flight.

As a teenager and young adult, moved up to nicer board at the bars, but still used the cheap-ass brass darts.

As a 'darter', moved to brisal boards and nicer cheap-ass darts and eventually Bottelsen Hammer Heads.  Now throwing even nicer, less weighted fixed point darts.

I was self-taught the whole time, until I started playing in the city dart league.  THAT'S where I got educated and mentored.  My stance, address, grip, gear and release is an ever evolving en-devour toward better competitive play.

I've turned to dart forums in the past year, but almost, it's league play that has advance my game.  Unfortunately, the multiple spinal and shoulder surgeries has caused me to adapt my game accordingly.  It will never be what it was, and if I may say, it used to be a damned good game.  Now I'm okay with a win/loss record north of .500 and a few all-star points to boot.

thanks kundalini!!!

More support towards league play being a detrimental factor in a players development !!! So eager......excited to get off my boards and meet some experienced players who are willing to take on a new comer. I’ll be doing s few mixed blind draws, and see if the crowds convince me to join a leagues.  I know you all have!

Thanks again.
BIG EDIT HERE......I misused the English word “detrimental”....I intended the word to mean the oppisite do its definition.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buddy plays cricket backwards? Mac-attack99 10 1,110 04-08-2018, 06:43 PM
Last Post: LethalEagle
  Can of Worms, Pandora's Box or Progression? Red'75™ 2 609 05-20-2017, 09:21 PM
Last Post: ChrisTheFish