Mentored? Self-taught ? Progression through league plays?
(09-30-2019, 02:58 AM)CalixNL Wrote: thanks kundalini!!!

More support towards league play being a detrimental factor in a players development !!! So eager......excited to get off my boards and meet some experienced players who are willing to take on a new comer. I’ll be doing s few mixed blind draws, and see if the crowds convince me to join a leagues.  I know you all have!

Thanks again.

Not sure detrimental is the word you're looking for.
Determining, inspirational, logical, etc. would be more appropriate, methinks.

It's hard to describe the advantage one gets from a close relationship with more advanced players.  Beyond that, time with those experienced players is of equal importance.  We've got a guy on our team that's an accountant.  He's stone cold sober with numbers.  When you've got a three dart out, it's like "Hey Chuck"..... what's my first dart?

SPACE FOR RENT

(09-30-2019, 03:44 AM)kundalini Wrote:
(09-30-2019, 02:58 AM)CalixNL Wrote: thanks kundalini!!!

More support towards league play being a detrimental factor in a players development !!! So eager......excited to get off my boards and meet some experienced players who are willing to take on a new comer. I’ll be doing s few mixed blind draws, and see if the crowds convince me to join a leagues.  I know you all have!

Thanks again.

Not sure detrimental is the word you're looking for.
Determining, inspirational, logical, etc. would be more appropriate, methinks.

It's hard to describe the advantage one gets from a close relationship with more advanced players.  Beyond that, time with those experienced players is of equal importance.  We've got a guy on our team that's an accountant.  He's stone cold sober with numbers.  When you've got a three dart out, it's like "Hey Chuck"..... what's my first dart?

Lol. woops...bit of a blunder ....thanks for calling that out
 not detrimental hahahaha I totally meant the opposite of that word.....or phrased differently...as such....if I don’t join a league it would be detrimental to my progression ....lol  , but I think from what I gather, getting involved in a league  would be greatly beneficial to any player who wants to  take theyre dart game to the next level.
(09-28-2019, 12:35 AM)CalixNL Wrote:
(09-27-2019, 02:51 PM)ksarkozi Wrote: I started when I was young.  My Uncle would pick me up after school and we would play for hours.  We did play a few tournaments and I won a couple.  As I grew up I kinda fell out of the game.  Then in my late 30s I was asked to sub on a league a few times and the bug bit me, so I asked to be placed on a team.  I now have been playing for a few years growing and learning.  I have a board at home to practice on to attempt to get better.  I also am looking to find "that set of darts so I am purchasing "collecting" until I find them.

Thanks for that input!

Do you mind me asking, do you think that having had that introduction at a young age and partnership with your uncles influence in darts helped you when you got back into darts and subbin* in the leagues? 
Did you have to relearn some things, or unlearn? The big question,
 do you think you are a ...more well rounded player because of your early training ?

I’m trying to understand if having stopped playing for so long after playing in younger years, would you be able to pick back up where you left off, or maybe more so, Have a easier time re introducing yourself !

Thanks! Good luck

The start at a young age did help me get back into the want to play again.  The nice part is that I am playing with my Uncle again on my league.  

It took me about 3 months to "knock the rust off" and get back to my old form.  I since have changed my posture and grip, but the mindset was still there to help for adjustments.  I think I am a more well rounded player because of my early training, but I have a lot more learning to come to get to the level I would like to be.  

The biggest thing I had to re-learn is my throw.  When I was playing in my early years I played with soft tip darts either on a electric board or a sisal board.  When I came back to my league we play with steel tips and I took a bunch of time and money trying to find the right set.  I have since learned that a nice set of conversion tips works great on my old darts. 

Catching up on technology is the other hurdle I have had, but blogs like this one has helped tremendously.
I guess I first learned how to throw a dart through my Father, he was a Firefighter (retired, not deceased!) and played in a league, so I would watch him and many others play when I was a wee lad.

After that it was pretty much watching the Pros play on TV, and in this incarnation of my darting life, reading The Art of Darts, by John Lowe, an awesome book that every darter should own.

I still play a few legs with Father, but his back is so bad, and I'm not faring much better, so we have to limit how long we play Sad
B: 25g   S: Short   F: Shape   180s: 7/25
Ksarkozi :
Wonderful reply ! That’s amazing to hear that you get to throw again with your uncle! Happy for both of you. Not every day families can still get along and play sports or do hobbies together ! 

Great response, good to know about the length of time it took you to “knock the rust off”, I know you are just one sample experience ,for now, maybe others who had a lengthy period between being a avid player - to stopping completely  for x number of yesrs , then re starting and having to adjust to theyre current physical conditions. Also great to hear how your general mindset about the game is /was still present at time of recovery starting.

The new technology is for the better I believe, allowing new player to hurdle a few off the counting requirements with smart phone apps , and YouTube for training videos,forums, access to all styles of barrels I am online shipping and online shops.

JT4527:
lucky you for having the chance to be a spectator from such a young age! That’s must be a fun memory , also lucky to have learned  to throw a dart!

Few dart books are great for when your just getting into it! I bought s couple kindles e-books.

Knowing you’re limits with your dad is important, it’s easy to over do it playing darts.  i Maybe he can watch you play now!

Alex
(10-15-2019, 09:09 PM)CalixNL Wrote: Ksarkozi :
Wonderful reply ! That’s amazing to hear that you get to throw again with your uncle! Happy for both of you. Not every day families can still get along and play sports or do hobbies together ! 

Great response, good to know about the length of time it took you to “knock the rust off”, I know you are just one sample experience ,for now, maybe others who had a lengthy period between being a avid player - to stopping completely  for x number of yesrs , then re starting and having to adjust to theyre current physical conditions. Also great to hear how your general mindset about the game is /was still present at time of recovery starting.

The new technology is for the better I believe, allowing new player to hurdle a few off the counting requirements with smart phone apps , and YouTube for training videos,forums, access to all styles of barrels I am online shipping and online shops.

JT4527:
lucky you for having the chance to be a spectator from such a young age! That’s must be a fun memory , also lucky to have learned  to throw a dart!

Few dart books are great for when your just getting into it! I bought s couple kindles e-books.

Knowing you’re limits with your dad is important, it’s easy to over do it playing darts.  i Maybe he can watch you play now!

Alex

He also has a few stories he told me, being in the Fire Service and having a dart team got the Station a few exhibition matches too.

My Father has stood next to Eric Bristow at the urinals and offered him advice on how to handle the crowd Smile
B: 25g   S: Short   F: Shape   180s: 7/25
(10-15-2019, 09:31 PM)jt4527 Wrote: CalixNL

He also has a few stories he told me, being in the Fire Service and having a dart team got the Station a few exhibition matches too.

My Father has stood next to Eric Bristow at the urinals and offered him advice on how to handle the crowd Smile

That is an amazing story.

Sounds like you had a Great introduction into the darts  culture!  

I’m happy to even hear this story!
and that’s excellent work place environment to Be able to participate in a work team!
I started darts at 23 i believe (turned 28 today) it was a night at the bar with my dad, my uncle and my cousin. My dad and uncle played about 20-25 years ago at the time with their dad and they were introducing the game to me and my cousin. My dad taught me the basics of how to play and score, and i really enjoyed it and was pretty good for a first timer. We played a few more times at that local bar, I was using my grandfathers darts which made it special for me and then we said lets join a league. My dad called up two of his best friends who was on that team 20+ years ago and asked if they wanted to play and they said sure. So it was the 6 of us, two father and sons and two very good family friends. We had a blast and then as i got better, and they started getting back into the game we improved and actually got 1st place our very first season. A little over 4 years later and we all still play together on the same team and won another championship last season.

My dad definitely taught me the basics but i would consider myself self taught after that. I joined this forum, i watched darts on tv, i practiced counting and out shots, i really took it to the next level and tried to perfect my game and became a fanatic. The last year and a half or so i got a real bad case of dartitis, and i still haven’t been able to get my old throw back so now the past 2 weeks i have been teaching myself to throw lefty and i am determined to get back to the same competitive level of play. I have already hit a few 180’s and i am progressing very quickly with my non dominant hand.

Dartitis definitely made things rough, but i still love going out every week and playing with my dad and my family, its a great time and we are still always the top 1/2 team in the league. Most importantly i know how much it means to my dad to be able to play with me and pass along this game that started with him playing with his father.
Match darts - 22g Customs
Best 501 - 11 Darts
I was mentored by any father and law. He has tons of trophy’s and plaques from tournaments around here, and got runner up at state. 
It’s kind of a Funny story, when me and my wife first started dating I would throw darts at my house, well she invited me over for the first time she told me her family plays darts too... so being 16 years old, I was pretty cocky. In my mind, I thaught “im gonna smoke them”.... about 30 legs later I won one. Lol (he was drunk but it counts) Big Grin

5 years later he’s taught me the ins and outs, the strategy, pretty well everything he knows, and i feel like I’ve gotten pretty good, we are very evenly matched now, and I’m turning 21 soon so I’ll be getting ready to start going to around 25 tournaments a year, hoping to amp my game up even more to try and win some plaques and trophies of my own.
 ✯✯✯Mac-Attack99✯✯✯
༺Darts: 21.5 gm monster cobra I. no.5 soft tips༻
༺Flights: l-style Jelle klassen blackout༻
༺Shafts: Silver/black supergrip carbons༻
2019 180’s: 10/12
2019 Hat: 154/130
Favorite player: Jelle Klaasen
(°,,°)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buddy plays cricket backwards? Mac-attack99 10 1,111 04-08-2018, 06:43 PM
Last Post: LethalEagle
  Can of Worms, Pandora's Box or Progression? Red'75™ 2 610 05-20-2017, 09:21 PM
Last Post: ChrisTheFish