Anybody else watching "Country Music" on PBS?
It's an 8 part series by famed documentary maker Ken Burns.    This time he tackles the world of country music taking the journey from it's early recorded roots in the 20's and ends in the mid 90's.       Each episode covers roughly a 10 year period in the history of country music.

In typical Burns fashion, the film is filled with great pictures, many of them from the personal archives of the stars themselves, along with film and video footage of live performances and it is narrated by Peter Coyote who's voice tells the story so eloquently, yet is so unobtrusive as to not dominate the scenes.

As a fan of country music and having listened to so much of it as a young kid, it is nice to see some of the greats who were recording on vinyl back when I was growing up.

If you haven't seen it, and are a fan of country music, you don't know what you're missing.    There's 4 more night to go and I've been home every night to watch the first 4 episodes and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Just a heads up for those fans who don't know it's being shown.
gumbo2176
I only caught some of one not sure which episode, i'm waiting for them all to come out so i can binge watch them, what i did pick up in the little i seen is the Cash family were crooks & was surprised when a Gibson guitar cost $250 in i think it was 1929
(09-19-2019, 01:09 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: I only caught some of one not sure which episode, i'm waiting for them all to come out so i can binge watch them, what i did pick up in the little i seen is the Cash family were crooks & was surprised when a Gibson guitar cost $250 in i think it was 1929

Jimmie Rodgers had a custom made Martin guitar with his name inlaid in the neck with mother of pearl and the word Thanks inscribed on the back.     They said he paid $1500 for that guitar in 1927 and it is now in the Jimmie Rodgers Museum locked in a glass case for people to see.
gumbo2176
(09-19-2019, 02:57 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(09-19-2019, 01:09 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: I only caught some of one not sure which episode, i'm waiting for them all to come out so i can binge watch them, what i did pick up in the little i seen is the Cash family were crooks & was surprised when a Gibson guitar cost $250 in i think it was 1929

Jimmie Rodgers had a custom made Martin guitar with his name inlaid in the neck with mother of pearl and the word Thanks inscribed on the back.     They said he paid $1500 for that guitar in 1927 and it is now in the Jimmie Rodgers Museum locked in a glass case for people to see.

Damn i missed that part, but i didn't see alot did hear him mentioned, i thought $250 was alot thinking in todays prices that would be like going to a Guitar Center & paying 20 grand
Ken Burns does some great shows. I would love to watch any part of that but honestly don't have the time to. I didn't know that about the Cash family but I loved Johny's voice and saw him in concert with my father back in the late 60's, which was a highlight for me and my passed on dad.
Wonder if this will come to uk at any point. Would love to watch it
(09-19-2019, 05:13 PM)rich345 Wrote: Wonder if this will come to uk at any point. Would love to watch it

I think BBC 4 will be showing it at some time from what i could find
Thanks for that crusher. I’ll keep an eye out for it. I like a lot of “modern” country artists as well as some of the older ones that my dad played all the time.

Aside from that I love music documentaries even if it’s a band or genre I’m not so keen on.
(09-19-2019, 07:16 PM)rich345 Wrote: Thanks for that crusher. I’ll keep an eye out for it. I like a lot of “modern” country artists as well as some of the older ones that my dad played all the time.

Aside from that I love music documentaries even if it’s a band or genre I’m not so keen on.

No problem, i'm the same i like Music Documentaries too, this one from the few mins i seen was interesting
(09-19-2019, 04:17 PM)SlingBlade Wrote: Ken Burns does some great shows. I would love to watch any part of that but honestly don't have the time to. I didn't know that about the Cash family but I loved Johny's voice and saw him in concert with my father back in the late 60's, which was a highlight for me and my passed on dad.

They highlighted Johnny Cash's life last night and nothing was mentioned about them being dishonest in any way.   He was one of 3 sons born to a sharecropper father and housewife/churchgoing musical mother who played 3 times a week in church.

They went to live on a WPA settlement in Arkansas where the families got a house, 20 acres of land and they had to clear and work the land.   No electricity, so listening to the radio was their only entertainment and it was hooked up to a battery to play.

His older brother died at age 13 or 14 when he was cutting fence posts and the saw sliced him across the stomach.  That put the mother in a deep depression and the dad started to drink more heavily, once telling a young J.R. Cash, "Too bad it wasn't you who died."     

He left home in his early teens, joined the Air Force and once discharged he did anything to make his way in life to  earn money.   He eventually wound up in Memphis where his older brother worked as an auto salesman and he met the two mechanics who had a love of music and that is how he got started playing.
gumbo2176
Opps i missed Slings post, like Gumbo said i didn't see Johnny or anything bad about him, it was i think A.P Cash not sure if there related or not but they went around got songs with another guy, A.P remember the lyrics the other guy the chorus, then they copyrighted the song they made all the money
gumbo2176 Wrote >

As a fan of country music and having listened to so much of it as a young kid, it is nice to see some of the greats who were recording on vinyl back when I was growing up.

When I went to college country music was still in my blood, but the more "grown-up" (HA - I scoff - LOL!) childrens thought I was a real stick in the mud - that were sad, I loved it then and I love it now; REAL COUNTRY MUSIC!

I think Merle wrote a song about loving country music, but sorta feeling ashamed in front of his peers - this song may fit you Gumbo, and probably others, here tis;

YEP, Merle was all country!
Merle Haggard is one of my favorite country singers, along with Johnny Cash and especially George Jones.

Move ahead a couple decades and Clint Black, George Strait, Rodney Crowell, Randy Travis, Travis Tritt and a few others kept their country roots pretty close to what it originally was. There was no mistaking they were country singers.

Now, it's more like country pop.
gumbo2176
I'm not a huge fan of country music but I do enjoy a lot of songs. Would you folks say that "cowboy" music is country music?
My granny and grampa used to listen to cowboy music out on the front porch back in the late 50's. Some of my most fond memories growing up in the hills of SouthEast Ohio
If cowboy music isn't country - it's certainly western.  Western as a genre predates country music, but for a long time they were lumped together under country & western.  Both have evolved significantly since then, so I vote yes. Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What music are you listening to right now? elevendarter 1,078 27,693 Yesterday, 11:04 PM
Last Post: gumbo2176
  Your all time favourite music album ... Cooper84 90 3,922 11-08-2019, 03:20 AM
Last Post: fatch69
  UK music Bradley Mikloski 12 350 02-26-2019, 07:00 AM
Last Post: justin-tutboard
  Anyone watching the Cricket? jt4527 3 123 02-01-2019, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Banz
  Country Legend Roy Clark dead at 85 gumbo2176 6 214 11-15-2018, 10:03 PM
Last Post: cubdog
  What type of music do you like? uncle poop 37 6,052 04-27-2018, 06:42 AM
Last Post: 055
  music vids jamie373 178 33,926 02-17-2015, 05:37 AM
Last Post: Crusher17