I don’t understand this game any more!
(09-11-2019, 07:30 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: Don't you know the answer to that?    Three darts in the red eye, 180's for score and 167's out come in practice when nobody else is around to witness your darting prowess.   AND, when you try to accomplish these feats in a game, any game, against an opponent it's T-20, T-5, T-1-----------2 x 25 and a 3 dart 40 out.

That's a fact, Jack!
[Image: BJ8F7UG.png]

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

(09-11-2019, 10:33 PM)Dartbuggy Wrote: Oh, Yeah. One more thing. Nobody understands this game, so you are not alone.

For a brief moment I thought i understood, but I was wrong ..... so, so wrong.  ooops
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me ..... I find bliss in my confusion.   

(09-11-2019, 10:43 PM)Borisbbadd Wrote:
(09-11-2019, 10:33 PM)Dartbuggy Wrote: Oh, Yeah. One more thing. Nobody understands this game, so you are not alone.

For a brief moment I thought i understood, but I was wrong ..... so, so wrong.  ooops

I had a few weeks where I couldn't miss a thing. Was beating good players and winning LODs. Finally after 5 years of daily practice I thought I had it. Now, I would be able to take out the A-list league players like nothing. But then,... the worst slump ever hit. I was even missing the board, darts falling out of my hand. Even in practice. 3.5 months later and I have come back a little, but not much. I am throwing OK in warm up again. But, fall apart as soon as the matches start. Arghh, the cycle repeats again and again.

Nice to know that it is not just me.
[Image: BJ8F7UG.png]

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

I feel your pain. I bought a set of Target Phil Taylor Gen 4's a couple of months ago and thought that was it, I had my dart. But, you know the story, for whatever reason, they go off the boil. So I get a set of Unicorn Grippers, a new model....feeling good with them and was thinking they were my new match darts. Then, for whatever reason just not feeling it anymore.

So, last night, I pull out the Gen 4's. Two throws and BOOM!!! ONE EIGHTY!!!

Don't try to figure it out  Big Grin Big Grin
It's all about balance. Obviously need to play with one bunting, one heavy and one of your match darts.
(09-11-2019, 10:30 PM)Dartbuggy Wrote: People like to attribute all kinds of things to the darts. The shape, the balance, and the weight are said to be so critical.

I would like to point out one simple fact,...     darts don't throw themselves.

Practices with many different and diverse darts long enough, and this will become apparent. Don't go switching if you are playing competitively, but if you practice with enough different darts you'll never blame the darts again. At least, that is what my experience has lead me to believe. If I am throwing badly, I know for certain that the problem is either in my head or in my form and not the dart.

Congratulations on your Ton 80s. Wish they were mine, I'm due.

Dartbuggy, I agree with you almost 100%, but I do have these two reservations;

1. Darren (Getagrip) throws tons of darts for his reviews - he even throws all those darts very well - BUT, I saw him get a triple 3x20 with the Target Daytona Fire darts (with his second throw, I think) - also he nearly got a triple 3x20 with the Shot Birds of Prey on his first throw (barely missing with his third dart). All that to say this, while I believe we can adapt to any dart (or flight, or stem, or weight, etc.) I also believe the bio-mechanics of us all differ - thus some darts are far more inherently accurate for some persons (if we find the dart that "suits" us, and that without undue adaptation, we will be a better dart player with that dart). Of course, finding that perfect dart may be a near impossibility due to limited funds to spend and limited time.
I remember Phil Taylor in an interview saying the folks at Target were working on a different grip for him - certainly this proves that the choice of darts can and does make a difference in the accuracy of our throws.

2. Inspiration - many people get over a plateau in their climb for accuracy by; buying a new rifle, buying a new bow, buying a new handgun, or buying a new set of darts. It may not be the rifle, the bow, the handgun, the darts (they may be no more accurate than our old trusty standby, but the accusation of something "NEW" may inspire us to practice more, to practice more intently, and to fall in Love with our hobby all over again.

My post is in no way meant to refute you, because you are right, in that the bottom-line is this; "WE THROW THE DARTS!", but a dart better suited to us would certainly help, and inspiration is a great boon to our success in any endeavor, if inspiration comes with a new set of darts, so be it.

Hope you see and can agree with my points - Lord Bless!

Ever hear; "You get out of anything what you put into it." - That is very true - here is where that saying came from; 
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;" Eccl. 9:10a KJV

If I throw a straight barrel dart I tend to drift into the 5's more so. I throw a stealth taper shape, DF03 Daytona or a C12 Carrera and my throws straighten up a lot more. I have been like this for a long time.
Do I blame the darts? No.
Do I blame me for choosing a dart not suited to me? Yes.

We must accept that certain barrels DO suit certain people and certain throws naturally.
Much is the same with flight shape preference etc.
In my experience of swapping darts if you hit a bad patch just call it a day and move on because u can guarantee the day after you will play great again.

Sent from my Nokia 2.2 using Tapatalk
This was a fun thread to read. All of it so true. I am a much better golfer than I am a darter (39 years of experience vs. 1 year will do that) and we golfers think and are confused in the same ways mentioned here.

Way back when before the equipment boom, a putter face was just a flat piece of metal. All putter faces were flat, no inserts, not many different types of metal, etc..., so you putt badly one day, you go out and buy another putter with a flat face and you putt lights out, it was unexplainable. This is one reason I never really bought a new putter, if a flat faced putter is not putting straight, I am pretty sure it was not the putter, but it was the putter - me, not swinging it straight.

I think a lot if not most of this is psychological, and these are the points I agree with and can comment on...
1. Buy something new, you tend to practice with it more, perfect practice makes perfect.

2. The new darts look different, they look prettier, you love the look of them, you are instantly put into a positive mood. Positive mood/attitude will lead to more positive results.

3. As someone said, I think different pieces of equipment do fit your hands better, your throw better, your swing better. If you have a barrel that is too slick, you will squeeze the dart more causing a natural change in your throw. Yes, overtime you can adapt, but again it takes time. Plus, if you have to do something unnatural with your throw, that means you are working on something that should be automatic and not focusing on accuracy.

4. Not caring, pressure can make a diamond out of coal. If you are under pressure things change in your body, your throw changes....pros can handle the pressure, that is why they are pros, in fact, pressure probably gives them an percentage of more accuracy. When you are just throwing, everything is smooth. Some of best golf rounds I have had have been when I have sick, or have had a sore back, because my thought is, I just need to survive this shot, this hole this round and you take it shot by shot....and you are not thinking, well there is a 12mph left to right wind, the green is slight elevated, if I hit a fade, I can combat the wind, but I really need the ball to release to the left when it hits the green. Too many thought processes will confuse your brain and your body. Just throw it, baby.

5. Sometimes you simple are in the zone, it is a phenomena like nothing else. I can say I have only been in the zone playing golf maybe 2 or 3 times, where I was in some kind of inner peace and I would swing the club and the ball did exactly what I wanted it to do for a full round. Afterwards, it was like, wow, I don't even remember the round, but I know every shot was pure....sometimes it happens...but I think it is all psychological.

Sorry for the long winded post, but this was a fascinating topic and it is discussed and debated in all walks of life and this is the first time I heard it with darts.

Long live the quest for the perfect dart...haha.

Thanks,
Z
Started playing September 2018

Board - Winmau - Blade 5 Dual Core
Best Scoring Set of Darts - Gary Anderson Noir 23g
Other Sets - Wolfram Infinity; a whole bunch of Ando's and MVGs; all Rob Cross;  

Best 501 game - 15 (steel tip - 100, 125, 100, 125, (3-16-D16 - I missed 19 with my first dart - dang-it)); 15 (soft tip) 
Number of 180s - 2018 = 5; 2019 = 19
Highest checkout - 125 (T20 - T11 - D16)

(09-13-2019, 06:29 PM)MontMozart Wrote: This was a fun thread to read.  All of it so true.  I am a much better golfer than I am a darter (39 years of experience vs. 1 year will do that) and we golfers think and are confused in the same ways mentioned here.  

Way back when before the equipment boom, a putter face was just a flat piece of metal.  All putter faces were flat, no inserts, not many different types of metal, etc..., so you putt badly one day, you go out and buy another putter with a flat face and you putt lights out, it was unexplainable.  This is one reason I never really bought a new putter, if a flat faced putter is not putting straight, I am pretty sure it was not the putter, but it was the putter - me, not swinging it straight.  

I think a lot if not most of this is psychological, and these are the points I agree with and can comment on...
1. Buy something new, you tend to practice with it more, perfect practice makes perfect.

2. The new darts look different, they look prettier, you love the look of them, you are instantly put into a positive mood.  Positive mood/attitude will lead to more positive results.

3. As someone said, I think different pieces of equipment do fit your hands better, your throw better, your swing better.  If you have a barrel that is too slick, you will squeeze the dart more causing a natural change in your throw.  Yes, overtime you can adapt, but again it takes time.  Plus, if you have to do something unnatural with your throw, that means you are working on something that should be automatic and not focusing on accuracy.  

4. Not caring, pressure can make a diamond out of coal.  If you are under pressure things change in your body, your throw changes....pros can handle the pressure, that is why they are pros, in fact, pressure probably gives them an percentage of more accuracy.  When you are just throwing, everything is smooth.  Some of best golf rounds I have had have been when I have sick, or have had a sore back, because my thought is, I just need to survive this shot, this hole this round and you take it shot by shot....and you are not thinking, well there is a 12mph left to right wind, the green is slight elevated, if I hit a fade, I can combat the wind, but I really need the ball to release to the left when it hits the green.  Too many thought processes will confuse your brain and your body.  Just throw it, baby.  

5.  Sometimes you simple are in the zone, it is a phenomena like nothing else.  I can say I have only been in the zone playing golf maybe 2 or 3 times, where I was in some kind of inner peace and I would swing the club and the ball did exactly what I wanted it to do for a full round.  Afterwards, it was like, wow, I don't even remember the round, but I know every shot was pure....sometimes it happens...but I think it is all psychological.

Sorry for the long winded post, but this was a fascinating topic and it is discussed and debated in all walks of life and this is the first time I heard it with darts.  

Long live the quest for the perfect dart...haha.  

Thanks,
Z

"Just throw it, baby." - even "Ole Blue Eyes" could have said it no better himself - LOLx1,000! -  Wink 

GREAT post, MontMozart - - -  good

Ever hear; "You get out of anything what you put into it." - That is very true - here is where that saying came from; 
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;" Eccl. 9:10a KJV