When to change equipment
We are new to darts, the kids been throwing since May, I just bought darts for myself and wife over the weekend.

How long should a beginner throw a dart set up before changing things around?
New to darts as of August 2019

2019 stats
180s - 1
Hat tricks - 46
A question that has no answer.  Or so many it makes no difference.

You can't go by whether you can or can't hit a target consistently when starting out - too many unknowns.  And most are the thrower.

A very general rule of thumb.  If darts are landing at an undesirable vertical angle (tail up or down), this can be adjusted by changing shaft/flight combos.  If they're landing at undesirable horizontal angle (swinging left or right), this is a throw / release issue.  Changing the setup or even the dart probably won't help much.  Of course, things aren't that simple, but this is a good starting point.

So the short answer - change darts when you know what your looking for.  Change setups when you need to make a specific adjustment.  Either way, it's better to understand why you're making a change, rather than taking a shot in the dark.

cheers...
Man you can't get any better advice than that. Do your practice routines and start to feel like you can hit what you're aiming at or at least coming close then when the mood hits pull the trigger on what you see and can't live without. When you start to get comfortable and change to a different set you have to dial it in and may end up going through the same routine as when you first started, like I have done on many sets I own.
What nixer said !!!
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me ..... I find bliss in my confusion.   

nixer55 gave the correct answer - BUTTTTTTTTTT (LOL) if my wife and I had the money, we would change darts every week or so (LOL) - know why - we all want to blame our failure on our equipment, can't kill a deer; buy a new rifle, can't make a hole in one, buy some new golf balls and new clubs, can't get noticed, buy some new after-shave, etc. to infinite!

My wife and I are noobs also (after a 20 year recess from darts) - so I blame age (61) and my equipment for poking holes in the wall instead of hitting the 3x20 every throw - so I know I need as much practice as I can get, not new darts.

Buying a set of new darts is exciting! But I know in my heart that no dart in the world will make me the new Phil Taylor.

Short story; most of us have a bad case of DAD (Dart Acquisition Disorder) - sooooo I don't care about facts, I'm buying a new set of darts anyway...….(LOL!).     Tongue
(09-04-2019, 12:11 PM)PREACHERMAN Wrote: nixer55 gave the correct answer - BUTTTTTTTTTT (LOL) if my wife and I had the money, we would change darts every week or so (LOL) - know why - we all want to blame our failure on our equipment, can't kill a deer; buy a new rifle, can't make a hole in one, buy some new golf balls and new clubs, can't get noticed, buy some new after-shave, etc. to infinite!

My wife and I are noobs also (after a 20 year recess from darts) - so I blame age (61) and my equipment for poking holes in the wall instead of hitting the 3x20 every throw - so I know I need as much practice as I can get, not new darts.

Buying a set of new darts is exciting! But I know in my heart that no dart in the world will make me the new Phil Taylor.

Short story; most of us have a bad case of DAD (Dart Acquisition Disorder) - sooooo I don't care about facts, I'm buying a new set of darts anyway...….(LOL!).     Tongue

Smile ?
(09-04-2019, 03:35 PM)bkbum Wrote:
(09-04-2019, 12:11 PM)PREACHERMAN Wrote: nixer55 gave the correct answer - BUTTTTTTTTTT (LOL) if my wife and I had the money, we would change darts every week or so (LOL) - know why - we all want to blame our failure on our equipment, can't kill a deer; buy a new rifle, can't make a hole in one, buy some new golf balls and new clubs, can't get noticed, buy some new after-shave, etc. to infinite!

Smile ?
A Joke is no good if you have to explain it - LOL!

>>>nixer55 gave the correct answer - BUTTTTTTTTTT (LOL) most of us have a bad case of DAD (Dart Acquisition Disorder) - sooooo I don't care about facts, I'm buying a new set of darts anyway...….(LOL!).     Tongue

I hope that helped - you see Dear bkbum ( Smile ?) the interior portion of my post was just a parenthetical - there is no doubt that you can now gather the important facts in my run-on post (at least I hope so) LOLx1,000.

PALEEEEEEEEEEEEZE tell me you got it now!      Wink

Smile ?
D.A.D. LMAO!!!!! I love this Preacherman. Brilliant, and I am definitely afflicted with this!
Thanks Curtis8976 - I think we all have D.A.D., at least to one degree or another -  Smile
(09-04-2019, 06:03 PM)PREACHERMAN Wrote:

Smile ?
A Joke is no good if you have to explain it - LOL!

>>>nixer55 gave the correct answer - BUTTTTTTTTTT (LOL) most of us have a bad case of DAD (Dart Acquisition Disorder) - sooooo I don't care about facts, I'm buying a new set of darts anyway...….(LOL!).     Tongue

I hope that helped - you see Dear bkbum ( Smile ?) the interior portion of my post was just a parenthetical - there is no doubt that you can now gather the important facts in my run-on post (at least I hope so) LOLx1,000.

PALEEEEEEEEEEEEZE tell me you got it now!      Wink

That question mark was supposed to be a thumbs up; my smart phone betrayed me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just getting into darting and have equipment questions Sputnam 15 1,193 06-16-2019, 11:44 PM
Last Post: x-ring
  helping developing my dart grip and equipment Honziz 14 637 03-04-2019, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Baloos
  Equipment upgrade Sputnam 7 408 02-13-2019, 01:07 PM
Last Post: RobJon
  With this equipment, what would you set up? CalixNL 13 1,087 12-07-2018, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Doctor Bones
  stance change and arm angle change GOLGO-13 9 2,708 09-03-2015, 06:23 PM
Last Post: GOLGO-13