My Small Collection of Smooth Barreled Darts
One of the other members mentioned they were interested in acquiring some smooth darts.  That made me think of my own appreciation of the smooth barreled dart and I wanted to gather all the ones I had in one place just for a small show and tell.  none of them are for sale or trade, except for the one not pictured, and that I am holding back for Jacob (the 21 gram Hankeys).

[IMG]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register

All but two sets are tungsten.  The top is brass, the second is actually steel, and quite light.  Here they are in order:

From top to bottom:

1. Vintage brass dart of unknown make. The three really interesting aspects of this dart are that a) it has a hexagonal body which is uncommon to see, even in vintage darts; b)the barrel and the stem are all one piece of brass with the exception of the hairpin, of course; and c) it uses a hairpin style flight holder to hold paper flights. The downside to this system is that it bends easy and it almost impossible to get straight again, and the hair pin is flat, preventing the loaded flight from be a perfect "X".

2. 17 gram Voks Javelin. These are not a tungsten dart, but rather steel, which makes it very light for its weight. To my knowledge, this is the only steel dart I have in my collection.

3. 23 gram custom dart, designed by me, implemented by Jeff Pickup. This is the set that you will see throughout my blog referred to as the "Dagnabits".

4. 23 gram bottelsen GT. This is an older set, and I know this because there is no 4ba threading in the back to take the modern screw-in GT stem.

5. 25 gram Fansteel UFO. I believe they are Fansteel because the came in a Fansteel pouch, but this is not proof positive. What's interesting about these darts is that the barrel appears to be comprised of two different metals that are joined somehow. Either that, or the middle portion had a coating on it of some sort.

6. 26 gram CT's. This is another Jeff Pickup implementation of my own design (although in this case it was less design and more specification, as it is an exact replica of a GT but in copper tungsten, and with a fixed point).

7. 26 gram McCoy. This is another copper tungsten barrel.

8. 28 gram Bottelsen "Black" GT. This was my first big dart purchase. They came with a black colored coating on them originally, but that has long since worn off, leaving a bit of a gray color.

9. 23 gram UFO. I have no idea who made this dart or when, but I absolutely love it. It throws real nice.

10. 23 gram UFO. The person who traded this to me years ago claimed (I think) that it was a custom dart, but it is strikingly similar to the Sleek model from Red Dragon.

11. 30 gram Schofield. My guess is that this is the most modern of the Schofield dart line. I have only ever seen one other tungsten Schofield before and it sported the push-in cane stems. This one is threaded for 1/4" stems.

12. (not pictured) 21 gram natural Hankey, held in reserve for Jacob should he want a trade.
Quite nice collection of pipes you have there. Like the board you're displaying them.
Used to own a set of pickups myself. Great craftsman!
(08-07-2019, 05:09 AM)SlingBlade Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
Thank you!  That is the surface of my workbench. I absolutely love that workbench!
Nr.9 looks like Terry Jenkins dart. Isn't it endorsed?
(08-07-2019, 07:16 PM)elevendarter Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
I have suspected it might be before, but there was something that made me think they were not too (memory fades).  There is no writing or etching anywhere on the barrel to indicate brand or endorsement, and also I am 90% sure it is a copper tungsten dart based on the feel.  I do not believe that there was ever an official Jenkins dart of this style that was other than Nickel-Tungsten (but I could be wrong).  I think it is more likely that someone wanted a Jenkins style dart in copper tungsten and commissioned it from a custom dart maker.
Great collection there, Zero! cheers

Do you have a favourite that you like to throw with from those?
Ok then. Here are some similar darts if you wanted to enlarge your collection.

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/index.php?...9_162_1282

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/index.php?cPath=9_22_1755

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/index.php?cPath=9_234_253

And do you know these?

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=29630
That is an awesome collection, would be interested in the dates of these.

The first reminds me of a nail set/punch I have , machine the hammered side to accept a point and the nail side to accept a cotter pin to hold a flight.
Homemade maybe?

Just wondering.

Cheers
180’s
2018 - 0
2019 - 12

Iv’e been working on my accuracy. I’ve gone from 53.6% to 92.8% getting 3 darts in the foam ring around my Winmau !
The No. 5 dart is almost certainly made by Fansteel; that barrel construction with a core section and different metal end sections is how they manufactured the original Black Widow darts.
Lovely collection. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---
Stockton-on-Tees / Manchester
RvB 80's Target, 25g

(08-07-2019, 10:02 PM)Jefferz Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
Thanks!

Sooooo hard to choose a fave among those.  The Jenkins (I've decided I am just going to assume they are Jenkins darts) fly like a dream, as do the 17 gram stainless steel ones.  The only one I have difficulty throwing is the Fansteel set.  I just cannot get a quality grip on those.  Truth is, I love all those darts and I throw them all with delight.
(08-07-2019, 10:08 PM)elevendarter Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
RegisterNice finds, all.  First, I absolutely love it that someone's nickname is "The Pie Man" . I should look him up and watch a few of his games on youtube.  Also, the 23 gram Designa Smooths look suspiciously like the second to last dart in my pick.  I believe that they used to be called Red Dragon Sleeks.  Not sure if they are exactly the same tho...
(08-07-2019, 10:32 PM)JB_Fraser Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
Interesting thought!  I had assumed they were the product of some dart maker but they could very well be homemade. If I had a lathe I'd be making darts out of all sorts of household things!  I can see it on league night: "Hey Robert, your darts look a lot like a garden trowel. Where you get those?"
(08-07-2019, 10:42 PM)bkbum Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
No kidding?  I wonder if these could be a first gen widow.  I'd love to see some of their old catalogs.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star My darts 'collection'... Tim1984 26 8,185 07-11-2019, 04:18 AM
Last Post: CantstopDarting
  Show us your smooth darts 4737 Carlin 19 4,511 12-16-2018, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Humdinger
  Small Martin Adams collection WhiskyPops 9 633 06-24-2018, 07:57 AM
Last Post: WhiskyPops
  Small collection Spygoat 5 656 03-07-2018, 02:58 AM
Last Post: Spencerdl
  My small collection EdgarEM 19 2,363 08-12-2017, 07:26 PM
Last Post: EdgarEM