Your first set of darts?
(07-12-2019, 01:33 PM)jrod Wrote:
(07-12-2019, 05:49 AM)4737 Carlin Wrote: As mc1958 says, there was a thread like this a while back. Anyway, my first set of tungstens were these Unicorn Lazarenko Allstars 24g. They were given to me back in the 90's by one of my dad's mates in a social club where we used to drink and throw darts. I was using cheap brass house darts and tried these along with a set of Bristow's he had with him. I took to these darts straight away so he said I could hang onto them and get some practice in. I used them for years when playing pub league back in blighty and they were only retired when i bought a set of Bulls Whitlock (Champion). I repointed the Unicorn's and now they just sit in a darts collection. It's a miracle I still have them given the amount of times they got left on pub bars, tables etc. when inebriated back in the day.
PIC REMOVED

Thanks, I need to find that thread.  I did a search before I started this one and the only thing that kept coming up was the unicorn 2020 launch.  Those are nice looking darts.  The don't look like they are terribly long.  They kind of remind me of the shape of my first darts.  Yeah, there is nothing worse than not knowing where you left your darts.  Especially when you have a set you really like.  I have had multiple friends lose them and then find out they couldn't get the exact set anymore.  That's a drag.

Suspect this is the illusive thread:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=33065

When in doubt, let google do the heavy lifting.  [Hint:  Bottom of guide]  Wink

cheers...
First set Datadarts
[Image: SxYM78Nm.jpg]
J-Rod Great tread.

I started throwing in the Early 80s my first set of darts was a set of 25 gram DMI Darts they were around 43 to 44 mm long ring grip teardrop shape. My 2nd set was a set of Accudart 25 gram Nicky Virachkul Darts, My 3rd set was a set of 26 gram Copper Tungsten Alan Glazier Winmau Darts these I still have and still throw today, 4th set was a set of 26 gram Fansteel KC Mullany Darts. My 1st set of Hammerhead Darts were a set of 80% Tungsten 25 gram Ring Grips that I traded to Zepple several years ago.

Regards
Bret
Dart Teams: Nighthawks 13 time FWDA City Champions and 14 time MDA City Champions.
Current Team: Tonnage 2 time FWDA City Champions

http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/bret18...t=3&page=1

Current Darts: 23gr Target Scott Rand Perfect Storm Darts by Target
Back Up Darts: 
(07-12-2019, 05:35 PM)nixer55 Wrote: Suspect this is the illusive thread:

cheers...

That's the one I was thinking of - I was searching for the word "first" in the title, not "original" lol
My fisrt set was a janky set of Brass 1/4 inch chucks... Stubby nose, three bands of nice knurls a rinky dink short points (22mm exposed). Inside was odd as it was mostly empty (You can see the back of the steel point inside the barrel at the end!) 40mm long 9.0mm thick and tipped the scales at 14.65g...The down side to them is not the semi smooth knurls but the lack of stems but I just picked up a cluster of them from Bolton and they still fly true.

First set of "Proper" darts are actually Copper tungsten - but with silly long 23.5mm point, 6.4mm thick and 2 inches long, rear drill depth of a mighty 8mm, They tip the scales at 22.4g and even came with a fancy 2ba thread at the back - And when I was younger I didn't take to them at all. I much preferred my old trusty Uzi 9mm Brass darts.
and Now I have some spare quarter inch stems Ho - Ho - Ho
---
My first set of darts getting back into darts in 2017 were a set of Argos Winmau Onyx coated Fordham's 23g Which are crackers... So Small so heavy. And with a ridiculous 26mm exposed black coated point... what manner of sorcery are these! Really great darts though.
Ryk is currently using:-
 鈴木 未来  Jadeite 24g
::  L-Shaft Locked Slim 300 Emerald :: Metal Champagne Ring Aqua :: - L-Flight Dimple Solid Emerald  :: Winmau Blade 6 ::
(07-12-2019, 06:25 PM)mc1958 Wrote:
(07-12-2019, 05:35 PM)nixer55 Wrote: Suspect this is the illusive thread:

cheers...

That's the one I was thinking of - I was searching for the word "first" in the title, not "original" lol

Yeah, that's the power of Google's advanced and pricey search algorithms.  Does all the "sort of like this" possibilities for you.   Sometimes with hilarious results. Tongue

Forum searches are far more literal.  Like in the old days of "Excite" and "Alta Vista" on the web.  For all those who remember those days - lol.
(07-12-2019, 01:26 PM)jrod Wrote:
(07-11-2019, 08:39 PM)Zeeple Wrote: In my first season in league I bought my first real set of darts, I think.  To be honest I have no idea whatsoever what I was throwing before I bought these:
PIC REMOVED

Cool, I believe those are the GT model.  I know those were really popular.  Do you still throw a front weighted dart?  I think from learning on a center balanced dart, I have a bit of a problem with front weighted.  I tried throwing laser dart black widow darts and I think they are great.  But I could never seem to get on with my doubles.  I had a hard time compensating for what I felt was a little extra drop in the front of the dart.  Had a lot of "high / low" problems when missing.

Actually no, not really, at least not one that is as saliently tapered as the Bottelsen GT Line that is. Of course, I am sure you are aware that all darts are front weighted, unless you are using tungsten stems and flights that is Smile  Even in those days I could not throw those darts with any measurable success. I remember thinking that with the loose point, and the floppy stems it was like trying to throw a fish. Of course these darts are from the era where they did not have screw in stems only the push in variety, and they were not that solid. I had Jeff Pickup drill them to take the new screw in GT stems once those were available. These days I mostly throw either my 19 gram Nobus or my 22 gram Eric Bristow Powerpoints. Neither of which can be considered front loaded darts.
(07-12-2019, 01:55 PM)Adams Wrote:
(07-12-2019, 01:26 PM)jrod Wrote:
(07-11-2019, 08:39 PM)Zeeple Wrote: In my first season in league I bought my first real set of darts, I think.  To be honest I have no idea whatsoever what I was throwing before I bought these:

Cool, I believe those are the GT model.  I know those were really popular.  Do you still throw a front weighted dart?  I think from learning on a center balanced dart, I have a bit of a problem with front weighted.  I tried throwing laser dart black widow darts and I think they are great.  But I could never seem to get on with my doubles.  I had a hard time compensating for what I felt was a little extra drop in the front of the dart.  Had a lot of "high / low" problems when missing.

Now you’re giving me flashbacks.....   When I was at the height of my Hammerhead phase, I also bought a set of HH GT’s.   I’m pretty sure they were the most expensive (~$185 USD in 1993) darts available at the time.   I remember being charged up like a young kid on Christmas morning when I got them.   To my lasting surprise and horror, I was never able to shoot those damn things with any accuracy or consistency whatsoever.   They landed with the tail of the dart off to the right, off to the left, up high or down low and I never knew where or how the next one would land.   They were--for me personally--the worst-working darts I ever had and nothing I tried ever improved that condition.   My GT’s got lost somewhere over the years, but I’ve still got my lightly knurled Originals (which carry much better memories than my GT’s ever did).

OMG Adams, you hit the nail on the head with the Xmas thing. I was so happy I was almost bouncing when I got them. Mine still had the black coating on them and they were effing beautiful. I remember my disappointment when I put my first scratch in the coating was even greater than my disappointment of only being able to hit 1’s and 5’s hahaha.  I used to carry them around with me even when I was not playing darts. My wife thought I was so silly.