Advanced Double/Treble Practice
Hi All,

Let's face it you either enjoy working through practice sessions or you don't. Many players believe that if they're playing a lot of matches there's no need to work through deliberate practice sessions to try and become more consistent at scoring or fine tuning their accuracy skills.

As for myself I see darts simply as a challenge to beat the board improve averages and working through specific routines to freshen up any weaknesses etc. For these reasons I enjoy deliberate practice sessions which are specifically goal oriented but as is often said variety is the spice of life and being creative with your practice routines is essential.

Some months ago I posted my diagonal doubles workout which consists of going around the board in order 1-20 BUT after hitting say number D1 your next target is diagonally opposite which is D19. And so the next shot is D2 followed by D12, then likewise, D3 - D20 and so forth. When completed you have effectively hit each outer double twice and importantly switching focus to the other side of the board is very useful for all round double training.

Now the proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say and I can report that at a recent 2 day singles tournament, in 2 close games and having left myself with D20 to win ... I hit a D1 instead Sad however I was able to hit D19 with my second dart with consummate ease.

Now none of this is a big deal but the routine definitely gives you first and foremost .. variety and importantly when using it for a while, tremendous confidence. In fact I've become quite proficient in doubling and I have finished a number of games on double doubles when left with 80, 72, and 64 and 3 darts in hand and don't even consider this risky. The way I see it (provided your grouping is good) if you get the first double the second should be just like muscle memory and importantly you are not aiming at 2 different target areas.

Now to ramp up my treble routine I simply go the same diagonal route instead of the normal sequence...what I find its strange now in both cases, is how, after a while the rest of the board sort of fades into the background and I'm just seeing just the double and treble rings if you get my meaning.

So if you need a bit of spice in this aspect of your practicing, I'd be interested in how you go so why not try it and let me know how you are going.

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Monster "Milkman" - 22.4Gm, Smooth Gold Points 36mm, Yellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

[Image: 0mbrxgh.png]

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Well discussed, and good practice routines. Smile
Thanks Dorian, will have to give it a go and post back.

Should I call this Dorian’s Doubles Developement Routine  Big Grin

Cheers
180’s
2018 - 0
2019 - 7

Iv’e been working on my accuracy. I’ve gone from 53.6% to 92.8% getting 3 darts in the foam ring around my Winmau !
Sounds like a good routine, definitely worth a look. Switching is a hugely important skill so it's a must to practice it.

I use A3 for a similar purpose but I tend not to change the doubles and trebles that I go for which probably means a lack of variety of switching.
[Image: o6e4x5.png]
Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
Interesting

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Treble trainer Bounce Out 12 762 03-05-2018, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  My 1-20 Double/Treble 'Around the Clock' Routine Dorian 2 846 02-01-2016, 07:26 PM
Last Post: BigE
  KEY TREBLE PRACTICE DRILL Dorian 6 1,883 08-25-2015, 10:36 AM
Last Post: nivla
  Double Double / Double Treble Advanced (Looong) Marshall 8 2,500 05-16-2015, 06:11 AM
Last Post: BigE
  Dart grouping for more advanced players *Saber* 17 6,511 11-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Last Post: 2forty3