Des Jacklin on World Trophy, Leighton Bennett and all things BDO
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07c5p4v

44 mins 35seconds : When and where will the World Trophy take place?

Quote:could i get away with a no comment? (laughs) probably not. i hope to be making an announcement after the weekend (then
babbles about the weekend events for a bit) i know people are wanting answers but the answers are not coming
and are far out of my control. if i can put people's mind at rest i will say that the event will most likely happen.
I am hoping to announce something on Monday before I get on that plane (going on holiday lol). I know it's an issue for
many people but it's nobody's elses problem, it's my problem.

1 hour 49 mins 

does not inspire much confidence here either

Quote:the people that was running the BDO before got us into this position and unfortunately I cannot get us out. And
i'm not 100% sure I would want to get us out because I think if it's working well why change something that
isn't working, unfortunately it's just not all working well at the minute but we are working on it to try and 
improve it and that's as much as I can say at the minute"

2 hours 40  what do you want to achieve in the next 12 months?

Quote:i dunno, we've got a lot of challenges. I think a lot of people think Des has come in and saved us but that's not
100% true. I'm trying to right some wrongs of the past and if I can get 50% of them fixed before Christmas I will
be happy. We've got answers to some questions like venues and sponsors but those answers can't be given out until
everything hs fallen into place and the i's are dotted and the t's crossed. I am trying to put in foundations
and if we are in the same position next year I will have failed. I will not allow us to move forward. I will not
put the business at risk and if those answers don't sit well with people you will just have to wait until they do sit right.

On Leighton Bennett he said.... wait for it lol

Quote:Leighton Bennett will double what Phil Taylor has done

The show also includes drop in interviews with Trina Gulliver, Lisa Ashton and Scott Mitchell but I skipped those so didn't note the timestamps.

My takeaway when listening to Des is that he spends most of his time talking about mistakes that were made by past regimes and very little time talking about what he is doing or even trying to do to rectify them.
From what I can gather reading on various facebook groups, his hands are tied as there is some sort of unbreakable deal signed off by the old board with a company called Sportotal and any negotiations are down to them for the bigger BDO events.
Maybe so, but it comes across to me like he is just out of his depth and bordering on unprofessional in the way he speaks with no authority whatsoever. If he can't give answers he should simply state that but he seems to view saying that as a weakness so he instead fluffs around the issue and says a whole lot without saying anything at all.

I've seen Glen Durrant state on camera that he sent Des an email asking for clarification on whether he as reigning BDO Champion would or would not be in the running to be in the Grand Slam as a BDO representative and then again on camera over a month later state he had not received a reply of any kind. That is not a way to conduct yourself in the position he holds.
"I’ve qualified for the World Trophy, but nobody knows where it’s at,’ McKinstry continued. ‘I’ve text and rang [BDO chairman] Des Jacklin, but he won’t even reply to my calls or messages”.- Kyle Mckinstry
(06-28-2019, 04:13 PM)BeegNumba Wrote: I've seen Glen Durrant state on camera that he sent Des an email asking for clarification on whether he as reigning BDO Champion would or would not be in the running to be in the Grand Slam as a BDO representative and then again on camera over a month later state he had not received a reply of any kind. That is not a way to conduct yourself in the position he holds.

I agree Des should at least acknowledge the BDO players emails, but in respect of this particular one I can fully understand Des ignoring it - Durrant is no longer a BDO player so he should not take one of the 8 BDO spots at the Grand Slam, irrespective of whether he is the current BDO World Champion or not.
Then he should very quickly reply stating as much which I would not argue with in the slightest. In no way is he justified in ignoring the mail. Highly unprofessional and a terrible image to portray of both himself and the company he represents.

But there are now several times i've heard of similar instances with Des which paint him as totally unprofessional and unorganised.

He likes to big himself up and certainly did so at Lakeside and both he and Paula state he works from morning to night but yet still nothing seems to happen and they are off on holiday on Monday with a (supposedly) looming major still lacking in dates or a venue.
(06-28-2019, 04:20 PM)mc1958 Wrote:
(06-28-2019, 04:13 PM)BeegNumba Wrote: I've seen Glen Durrant state on camera that he sent Des an email asking for clarification on whether he as reigning BDO Champion would or would not be in the running to be in the Grand Slam as a BDO representative and then again on camera over a month later state he had not received a reply of any kind. That is not a way to conduct yourself in the position he holds.

I agree Des should at least acknowledge the BDO players emails, but in respect of this particular one I can fully understand Des ignoring it - Durrant is no longer a BDO player so he should not take one of the 8 BDO spots at the Grand Slam, irrespective of whether he is the current BDO World Champion or not.
Then just write back saying that.

I hope the BDO gets its act together but it seems very, very unlikely
Still nothing but i'm sure Des and Paula are having a great holiday lol
WDT venue now announced - King George's Hall in Blackburn for the next 3 years

http://www.bdodarts.com/index.php/item/3...rld-trophy
Thanks Mike.  Wonder how long it'll take to update that web site with all the existing Winmau signage?  Not too clear when the new contract with One80 kicks in though...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2019 World Darts trophy mc1958 42 1,075 09-02-2019, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Phenohyte
  BDO World Darts Trophy 2018 Simon G 126 8,403 06-08-2018, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Noj
  Jacklin calls for equal pay Mack 71 7,866 04-09-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: WhiskyPops
  World Darts Trophy 2017 mc1958 85 12,038 05-31-2017, 03:05 PM
Last Post: mc1958
  BDO World Darts Trophy 2016 mc1958 47 6,732 06-02-2016, 05:58 PM
Last Post: JohnL.