Throwing from the side of my face
Hello guys,

I see a lot of players throw the darts from the side of their face. I saw a video from Dynamite Dave doing this aswell, but when i try to do it it feels like my arm is bend. Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers,

MauriceDarter

180's of 2017: 15
                                 Highest checkout: 170
                                 Dartboard: One80 Gladiator 3 
                                 Darts: Unicorn Phil Taylor Phase 2 24g

[Image: iCQbvWX.png]
Probably not....my opinion (I used to throw this way) is it takes a while to get that style down. Takes a lot of confidence  and practice...but once you have it.....it's the only way! Luck to you.
I will participate in this one...

Maurice, do you mean , throwing the dart without aiming the darts in front of your Vision? I’m not sure what you mean aboUt your arm bending. I think if you go further to your side of face , your arm / elbow would be straighter, so in a sense you would feel a bend.

Naturally you keep practicing until something starts to show repetitive results. Dynamite dave is excellent for online practice videos , I don’t remember his style, but I’ll watch.

@Baloos
Do you still throw that way? is that throwing with “feel” and relying on hand eye cordination is your most successful style of play ?

I get great results when I just throw a few relying on feel and hand eye from out of line of sight , but it feels off. And I go back to holding dart infront of my line of sight and draw back slowly and then push and release....lately I’ve been drawing back to multiple places. Under chin , mouth. Lower left under face cross over to left shoulder lol...bouncing off My nose....

I started playing throwing from over head or temple, but progressed to aiming . Took a while of awkwardness. But i pushed through and developed comfortable styles.

Maurice I don’t think your doing anything wrong. Just do what feels comfortable , which is what you will hear very frequently Smile
I have always thrown from the front of my face, so it just feels weird when I try to throw from the side of my face, but it looks like it's better for throwing, so should I just try to throw from the side of my face?

Don't think there's anything wrong with throwing from the front of your face at all. If it works for you, don't change because others do it differently.
Phil Taylor has been doing it wrong all these years.
(06-27-2019, 03:27 AM)CalixNL Wrote: I will participate in this one...

Maurice, do you mean , throwing the dart without aiming the darts in front of your Vision? I’m not sure what you mean aboUt your arm bending. I think if you go further to your side of face , your arm / elbow would be straighter, so in a sense you would feel a bend.

Naturally you keep practicing until something starts to show repetitive results.  Dynamite dave is excellent for online practice videos , I don’t remember his style,  but I’ll watch.

@Baloos
Do you still throw that way?  is that throwing with “feel” and relying on hand eye cordination is your most successful style of play ?

I get great results when I just throw a few relying on feel and hand eye from out of line of sight , but it feels off. And I go back to holding dart infront of my line of sight and draw back slowly and then push and release....lately I’ve been drawing back to multiple places. Under chin , mouth. Lower left under face cross over to left shoulder lol...bouncing off My nose....

I started playing throwing from over head or temple, but progressed to aiming . Took a while of awkwardness. But i pushed through and developed comfortable styles.

Maurice I don’t think your doing anything wrong.  Just do what feels comfortable , which is what you will hear very frequently Smile
When I first started playing in the late 80's there wasn't the internet nor all the equipment that we have today at least not in our area so you learned everything from fellow players. Back then the only out was the Double 16 or 20...it was drilled into your head....another rule was don't block your target with the dart. That's when I started throwing from the side or  throwing "Jedi" as it's known today. It took a long time and practice but I got pretty good at it. I stopped in 92 because of work and started again in 2018 and just can't seem to get that style down anymore....but I don't practice the 4 hours a day anymore...my old body won't let me. Now,like you, I have many ways to throw. Depends on day,soft or steel,darts used....I think because in the back of my mind I know I'm not going pro nor do I think I have enough time left to become the "Dart Machine" that we all strive for. Not the best attitude to be sure but it works for me and I still have fun and THAT'S the main thing. One thing for sure....That style WAS the best for me back then...a nice relaxed style...like Michael Smith....just a fluid motion,little thought involved....just look and hit!
Cheers and luck!
I throw from in front of my face.
I watched a video about throwing from the side of your face, and it seemed to make sense.
Actually it still does.
So I gave it a try for awhile, and I seemed to do ok with it, but it never felt quite right.
I have since went back to what is more natural for me.
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me .... I find bliss in my confusion.
I find, the first dart  throw from Jedi throwing will hit the t20 , then next one I am outside the d12 wire lol...most likely due to not practicing the release from Jedi ......
I can’t rely on ONLY hand eye cordination and feel when I can rely on AIM, SIGHTLINE , and hand eye cordination + feel and repetition.

I notice some players will SIGHT the dart in front of them, then draw back to side of face,  but I feel that creates for too much travel time with arm during draw back, allowing for elbow movement, throwing off performance.

Maurice, your join date was two years ago so maybe you have already a style and are not happy with results and want to try something else , by all means try it....but don’t force it too long....if it’s causing pain in bend than that’s a bad indicator and you won’t last with that style me thinks
Well done CalixNL! Great darts! Soon a 180? Smile I think i'm just gonna stick to throwing the dart from the front of my face, because from the side of my face just feels unnatural to me.

Struggeld hard to learn to throw from the side of my face, but my average jumped significantly, once it became natural to me

Gesendet von meinem moto x4 mit Tapatalk
I can't imagine throwing any way but from the side of my face. I've never even thought of trying another method. I think whatever comes naturally is probably the best.
Liberal heathen
I'm right handed and left eye dominant, so throwing from the side of my face wouldn't do me any favours. It would just feel weird throwing from the left hand side of my face with my right hand. And even more weird throwing from the right side of my face.
I am left handed and right eye dominant, still throw from the left side now. I thought the same like your at first, but know I think eye dominance doesn't matter: darts is like basketball or handball, you aim with 2 eyes an not with one. For me at least the change worked, I am significantly better at throwing darts now, after I moved my hand from the middle of my face to the left. Straight elbow and line of sight with 2 eyes. Full backswing in a straight line.

Gesendet von meinem moto x4 mit Tapatalk
It is much more about using Jedi skills(aka hand-eye coordination) rather than aiming, I think. But I would think that bringing it all the way back would introduce more scope for error. I mean, if you can get that movement totally smooth each and every time then it would work, but I would think it would be more muscle-work and brain processing than having the dart in front of you.

I don't aim either, but I'm trying to throw by the philosophy that simplest is best for consistency.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Drawing to side of face or to the eye? UncleJJ 2 225 01-03-2020, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Gooddark
  Flights hitting face on pull back Ventuss 18 2,177 04-08-2019, 03:35 AM
Last Post: Sultan Pepper