Finding the centre of the oche
How do the professional dart players find the centre of the oche?  When I watch them play, they step up to the oche and start throwing their darts without any hesitation. Is the centre of the oche marked, or are they able to find it just by looking at the dartboard?

Is it acceptable to put a little mark on the oche using a sharpie marker before a game? Having a reference point on the oche help me.  Otherwise, I need to spend time locating the centre every time I step up to the oche.
(06-15-2019, 11:58 PM)whippet0 Wrote: How do the professional dart players find the centre of the oche?  When I watch them play, they step up to the oche and start throwing their darts without any hesitation. Is the centre of the oche marked, or are they able to find it just by looking at the dartboard?

Is it acceptable to put a little mark on the oche using a sharpie marker before a game? Having a reference point on the oche help me.  Otherwise, I need to spend time locating the centre every time I step up to the oche.

You really don't need to find the center.   You just need to find a spot where you are comfortable and your dart go where you want them to.      Now, to find that spot may take time, but once you find it, your return to the line will be automatic and you won't have to think about it. I never look at the oche when getting ready to throw, I look at the board and find my spot.

Look at Stephen Bunting.    He throws his darts from the far right side of the oche and only moves if he is blocked by his own darts.
gumbo2176
I don’t have as much experience as most people on here, but I do know that  the oches  will vary from establishment to establishment . Some raised oches , some different sizes, some not even raised maybe ...so you will have trouble trying to continue marking oches even if it is acceptable.

I think you will quickly overcome this and find your own personal way to approach the oche and feel centered and develop a natural balance!
Also,
This popped into my head.

I ‘know you mentioned that some professionals go straight to the centre for them without any issue,

I wouldn’t consider it finding the centre of the oche. But establishing they’re  stance and approach.

I don’t know if you noticed, a few pros will walk up to the oche and kick there toe to where they consider they’re centre point , then adjust from the kick to they’re stance. Like Gary Anderson , a Gerwyn Price, and I notice Nathan Aspinal does it also. I am positive many others do this maybe even just a habit ....
(06-16-2019, 02:09 AM)CalixNL Wrote: I don’t have as much experience as most people on here, but I do know that  the oches  will vary from establishment to establishment . Some raised oches , some different sizes, some not even raised maybe  ...so you will have trouble trying to continue marking oches even if it is acceptable.

I think you will quickly overcome this and find your own personal way to approach the oche and feel centered and develop a natural balance!

That's the thing.   I've played in so many venues that have anything from official "The Line Starts Here" tape down oches to something as simple as gray duct tape, lines drawn on the floor, a thin strip of wood screwed down and the rare raised oche.

Most are put down with no concern for the center of the oche to be in line with the center of the board.   That is why I never look at the oche but the board when I approach the line to throw.
gumbo2176
^^^^^^ Same.  Get my bearings from eyeballing the board.  Plant my lead foot, then set up my stance.
Paul Lim always gave this piece of advice in his classes when I went for them. He liked to ensure the oche line and eye line are the same/straight, he used a string or yarn and attach it to his dart and then check if the yarn is straight from the center of the bull to the oche. He also uses thay method to ensure it's at the right length. Now I personally don't do that method but I do check how straight just by my sight and estimations.

Another way to check center, is look at the board. Have a straght eye line by looking at the 20, bull and 3. If you see them straight, stand there first. From there you can work out where you feel best. I use to do from the center. Now I tend to stand towards the left side of the oche when I throw.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Current Dart in Use: Quantum Darts Paradox 17.5gm
LethalEagle, seems to have the most information on how to help find your centre! Looking down the 20 bull and 3 should help speed you up...

Trying to remain positive , and not come off as disconcerting. But as Gumbo and Nixxer mentioned, keep your eyes up and spend more time looking at the board then down at your feet and rely less on where the centre of the oche is, but more so, where is the centre of your sight line and throwing arm release. Hopefully this will help you save some time from lookin* for the centre of the oche

I had this issue somewhat with the oche, as I practiced first at home , i squared off my oche with my room and a 6 foot piece of painters taper on the flloor LOL and I was throwing from the far left when I first started.

So MUCH to my surprise, my first mixed double tournament, I show great establishment, but the oches are about a 12-18” (inches , foot to foot and half) in length !!!! So I was thrown for a loop there. A piece of wood drilled to the 7’9” mark

Constantly going to the corner of that small oche, thinking I was at the corner of the taped oche in my practice room.

From then on I slowly adjusted to a more reasonable position, I still find my self moving around for different shots , and when getting fatigued I change stance a little bit.

Good luck

Edit @ also, for me , bomber / torpedo / tapered darts / heavily front loaded barrels, my configuration changes. I throw from far left of oche with my foot on a 45 degree angle , heel out from the oche, toe on. Lol

Straight barrel, anything else. I am just off centre with my toe and throwing arm upon release fingers pointing at centre .
Seek ye first the Kingdom of God
(06-16-2019, 03:44 AM)CalixNL Wrote: LethalEagle, seems to have the most information on how to help find your centre! Looking down the 20 bull and 3 should help speed you up...

Trying to remain positive , and not come off as disconcerting. But as Gumbo and Nixxer mentioned, keep your eyes up and spend more time looking at the board then down at your feet and rely less on where the centre of the oche is, but more so, where is the centre of your sight line and throwing arm release. Hopefully this will help you save some time from lookin* for the centre of the oche

I had this issue somewhat with the oche, as I practiced first at home , i squared off my oche with my room and a 6 foot piece of painters taper on the flloor LOL and I was throwing from the far left when I first started.

So MUCH to my surprise, my first mixed double tournament, I show great establishment, but the oches are about a 12-18” in length !!!! So I was thrown for a loop there.

Constantly going to the corner of that small oche, thinking I was at the corner of the taped oche in my practice room.

From then on I slowly adjusted to a more reasonable position, I still find my self moving around for different shots , and when getting fatigued I change stance a little bit.

Good luck
18"?? That's a monster's oche. Sounds like an oche for The Big Show is he wants to take up darts.

I don't spend much time looking down too much as I use to in my starting days. Some players like to look down before they set up, like Harith Lim just to set the right footing. Over time I just found my right place to throw, mostly due to my dart aiming area is just right of my right eye. When I tried throwing from the center or the right, I feel constricted for some odd reason, and so I stay at the left instead. But do ur best k dude to find ur right spot/comfort zone.

I don't have much info. I just word them in a long verbose manner because that's my personality. Long and verbose lol.

Current Dart in Use: Quantum Darts Paradox 17.5gm
(06-16-2019, 03:55 AM)LethalEagle Wrote:
(06-16-2019, 03:44 AM)CalixNL Wrote: LethalEagle, seems to have the most information on how to help find your centre! Looking down the 20 bull and 3 should help speed you up...

So MUCH to my surprise, my first mixed double tournament, I show great establishment, but the oches are about a 12-18” in length !!!! So I was thrown for a loop there.

Good luck
18"?? That's a monster's oche. Sounds like an oche for The Big Show is he wants to take up darts.

I don't spend much time looking down too much as I use to in my starting days. Some players like to look down before they set up, like Harith Lim just to set the right footing. Over time I just found my right place to throw, mostly due to my dart aiming area is just right of my right eye. When I tried throwing from the center or the right, I feel constricted for some odd reason, and so I stay at the left instead. But do ur best k dude to find ur right spot/comfort zone.

I don't have much info. I just word them in a long verbose manner because that's my personality. Long and verbose lol.

Yes 18” (INCHES) in Length,  a foot and half, max . Is that’s unheard of?

Now in my basement I have a 3 foot long piece of wood drilled to the floor.

[Image: S7eYJdR.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finding a new dart! Kieran James Boots 4 360 12-09-2018, 12:58 AM
Last Post: holmesness
  Finding the right dart mojothedart 8 567 11-14-2018, 12:35 AM
Last Post: Adams
  Need help identifying and finding these darts webbie504 10 810 02-10-2017, 12:01 PM
Last Post: kamikersie