Pains in leading knee
It took me a month to -6 weeks when I first started To balance My stance.

At first I had my back foot raised , i was off balance, could push me over with pinky.

Finally I am stable , both feet planted flat. I’m thinking it could be foot Wear , or having been playing on tile floor.

I’m really noticing pain in knees and hamstrings , also muscles on back of My knee where it bends...maybe after a 30-40  minute bout..

Am I not balanced enough? Still leaning too much on front leading leg?? 

I find it almost impossible To not have this crutch, all players i see have some Lean forward dependant on your leading foot.

WHich leads me to believe it could be Improper foot wear , or the tile floor. Which is new.

I CAN stand straight , diving my weight evenly between the two legs and feet position, but it hinders my throwing technique I have developed . But I feel it may possibly cause long term issues with my knees, so if re arranging my stance to balance the weight now will save me trouble In long run, I will start adjusting my stance now.

I have a front foot straight or 45 angle with slight lean forward stance, back foot is planted straight though.

Any comments. At your convenience.

Cheers.

I also put on a good 20lbs over the winter lol
I'm clueless on the cause of your knee causing problems for you but, do you do any stretching at all? I'm a runner and have to stretch out after my runs or I'll have some tightness, not right away, but for sure a few hours after.
As you say you've put some extra pounds on, possibly it's your body yelling at you to loosen up.
Good luck and hopefully you can walk it off or stretch it out.
My first thought would be to shift some of that 20lb,easier said than done i know
secondly as slingblade says some stretching may help
also some light physio might help too
DARTS-Phase 5 purist/ Power 9fives 26g/ Unicorn RvB 25g
SHAFTS-Target Power shaft gen 1 (intermediate) 
FLIGHTS-Power vision edge gen 2
BOARD-Winmau blade 5 dual core
BOARD-Winmau Diamond
BOARD-unicorn eclipse HD trainer board
SET UP-Wall mounted cabinet
HA'WAY THE TOON  Smile
Newcastle United Premier League survivors 2018-19 season
[Image: ZL8JXbT.png]
I had this problem for a while.  I agree with Justin-tutboard that losing the 20 lbs would be a good idea regardless of what it does to your darts, but for me the problem was that it simply took time to develop the stamina in my legs to support me for a long darting session.  Like you, and most players, most of my weight is on my front leg, using my back leg for balance with just my toes touching the floor.  I have been throwing like that for 16 years prolly.  I have tried occasionally to develop a stance that has both of my feet flat on the floor but it simply never worked out.  I have seen that successfully done by other local players, and it is theoretically a superior stance because it plants you firmly on the ground and evens the stress across your legs, but getting the accuracy down when standing like that is tough tough tough. I have three thoughts:

1. Get a pliable knee brace to help with the stress for a while, and
2. Try slowly building that stance stamina up.  Try adding like 10 minutes each week to your practice routines and see if that helps.
3. Consider the idea that maybe, if you (like most darters) are shifting your weight forwards, maybe both feet should not be flat on the ground

Arnold Schwarzenegger once said this:  "If you ask a 10 horsepower machine to do a 12 horsepower job, it will break.  If you ask a 10 horsepower human to do a 12 horsepower job, he will become a 12 horsepower human."  I love this because it speaks to the idea that our mentalities and our bodies are highly adaptable and will eventually adapt to almost anything.  Your legs can too Smile

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Zeeple
The Dart Indoors
Reading John Lowes book fixed my stance and started me on the path to throwing better darts.

Front foot 45 degrees - do it with no shoes or socks on and it follows the line of your toes.

Back foot about shoulder width apart, maybe a couple of inches outside your front foot, plant your foot and raise it slightly, just so your heel is off the floor.

Lean into it as much as you feel comfortable.

Sounds like you are throwing much more than you have been used to, and all that takes is time to build up the stamina and strength in your legs. Do some stretches if they help, losing some weight is always good as has been said.

Practice, practice, practice! It helps your body too Smile
B: 23g   S: Short   F: Standard   180s: 2
(06-14-2019, 04:05 PM)jt4527 Wrote: Reading John Lowes book fixed my stance 

Which one?  He has several!
(06-14-2019, 04:53 AM)SlingBlade Wrote: I'm clueless on the cause of your knee causing problems for you but, do you do any stretching at all? I'm a runner and have to stretch out after my runs or I'll have some tightness, not right away, but for sure a few hours after.
As you say you've put some extra pounds on, possibly it's your body yelling at you to loosen up.
Good luck and hopefully you can walk it off or stretch it out.

Hey, no stretches as of now, but I will start immediately!

I’m not big by any means, majority of my adult life i was 150-155 , mostly due to poor lifestyle choices. This past two years I have been up to 160-70 last winter and peaked at 183 just the other day lol. I work seasonally so that had a lot to do with the weight gain, but the weight is a positive thing for me as I always struggled keeping it on..... no doubt it will shed and turn into muscle in the coming months  working construction and being active 6-11hours a day, and I find it difficult To eat after working inn-the heat all day as my Body dehydrates.

I was most concerned if this was a common occurrence for dart players to encounter problems with they’re knees!

But being a roofer for 13 years , they probably aren’t the best to start with anyway? Lol

(06-14-2019, 06:57 PM)CalixNL Wrote: But being a roofer for 13 years , they probably aren’t the best to start with anyway? Lol

Tell me about it.  I installed flooring (carpet and linoleum, mostly) for more than 10 years.  I seen so many carpet layers with knee issues.  The smartest thing I ever did in those days, and I did this from the very beginning, was I left my knee-kicker in the truck and install all the carpet, and I mean all of it, with the power stretcher.  Took a bit longer but not too much, and my knees are still problem free (knock on wood).
(06-14-2019, 06:57 PM)CalixNL Wrote: But being a roofer for 13 years , they probably aren’t the best to start with anyway? Lol

And that just may be the crux of your problems.   Roofing work is very hard on the knees between climbing ladders, moving all those shingles about, nailing down underlayment and shingles, standing on a pitched roof most of the day-----and like you mentioned, in the heat for hours at a time.

I had some knee issues due to my stance with a pretty far lean after I had ACL replacement surgery.   I had to alter my stance with much less lean but still with about 70% weight on my lead foot and 30% on the trailing foot.    Much less knee pain now.
gumbo2176
(06-14-2019, 07:54 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote:

And that just may be the crux of your problems.   Roofing work is very hard on the knees between climbing ladders, moving all those shingles about, nailing down underlayment and shingles, standing on a pitched roof most of the day-----and like you mentioned, in the heat for hours at a time.

I had some knee issues due to my stance with a pretty far lean after I had ACL replacement surgery.   I had to alter my stance with much less lean but still with about 70% weight on my lead foot and 30% on the trailing foot.    Much less knee pain now.

Yes! Roofing is Notorious for bad knees....I’ve been pretty lucky so far, I’m guessing the stories I hear are from veteran roofers who worked hourly for 25-30 years. I wear knee pads and work for myself so I Dont push myself and bite off more than I can chew a day.

the beginnings of seasons I get some psychological stress - ghost pain in my knees  thinking  that this year might be the year! But this season I didn’t notice any pain or  was I slowed down working , my stamina’s lowered though i noticed, which comes with age i guess.

ITS only at the oche I’m feeling it after a day of practice bouts all day and then in the evening , sometimes it carries into the next day

Thank you for the reply ,and an unfortunate cautionary tale about the surgery. Hoping the pain stays away for you with your adjusted stance. 

Exactly the  reply I was hoping for , I will start adjusting my stance now and trying to balance my weight.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Knee Pain experiences dj_stat8 11 492 05-11-2018, 01:23 PM
Last Post: theblindPew
  Muscle aches and pains LethalEagle 3 59,682 08-31-2017, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Scorpion