Difference between a flat and rounded nose
Hey everyone!

I'm currently in the process of finalizing the design for a set of customs, but I'm having a hard time deciding between a flat nose and the, I think more common, rounded nose.

If you have experience with both, have you seen a substantial difference between the two? For example, how they land in the board or how they fly?

Example of flat nose (James Wade Phase 1 and 2):

[Image: 7wade20g31_zps873af025.jpg]

Example of rounded nose (Anderson Phase 3, but there are a lot of examples of course):

[Image: 7andophase323g4_zps0630cebc.jpg]

Looking forward to hearing what you think!  Big Grin
I absolutely hate flat noses!

1. They look horrible to me
2. They remind me of Wades, which reminds me of him!
3. I know the effect is minimal, but I can't help thinking of the aerodynamic problems cause by a flat noise.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
(06-12-2019, 11:57 AM)Poidisb Wrote: I absolutely hate flat noses!

1. They look horrible to me
2. They remind me of Wades, which reminds me of him!
3. I know the effect is minimal, but I can't help thinking of the aerodynamic problems cause by a flat noise.

Ha! I'm not a big fan of Wade either, mostly due to his personality quirks sometimes. However, if I remember correctly it's due to some condition he has.

Could you elaborate a bit more on the aerodynamic problems? Are you talking about the flight of the dart?
Flat nose darts are just...ugly as heck to me.

Wadie's darts and worse, Kim Huybrechts' own model too are up there with the ugliest darts out there.

I just stick with bull noses, they feel good on my resting finger and I personally prefer bull noses as I feel it reduces aggressive flight tears from grouping, at least it does for me. So I avoid tapered nose barrels in general.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
[Image: l_d-soft-target-robcross-19-banner_20171128162322.jpg]

Current Dart in Use: Target Rob Cross 19gm soft tip.
Flat nose has more heavy tungsten near the point end (Rather than fresh air), so moves the CoG of the barrel forward.... slightly.

The flatter the nose the more it will bludgeon flights - the more the dart has a rounded/tapered nosecone the more the edge of the shoulder of the barrel's nose can cut up flights.
Do you prefer constant medium impacts or occasional nasty ones (Where that edge may cut into and snag a flight).

I personally don't like the look of wadcutter flat nose darts, but I used to use a set for ages as a kid and they work great.
Ryk is currently using:-
 鈴木 未来  Jadeite 24g
::  Alamo White Short :: - Harrows 75μm Angelite Fights  :: Winmau Blade 6 ::
(06-12-2019, 12:01 PM)LethalEagle Wrote: Flat nose darts are just...ugly as heck to me.

Wadie's darts and worse, Kim Huybrechts' own model too are up there with the ugliest darts out there.

I just stick with bull noses, they feel good on my resting finger and I personally prefer bull noses as I feel it reduces aggressive flight tears from grouping, at least it does for me. So I avoid tapered nose barrels in general.

Hey now steady on, Huybrechts are gorgeous, well, in Noir, they look strangely old & cheap in silver/natural!

(06-12-2019, 12:10 PM)Poidisb Wrote:
(06-12-2019, 12:01 PM)LethalEagle Wrote: Flat nose darts are just...ugly as heck to me.

Hey now steady on, Huybrechts are gorgeous, well, in Noir, they look strangely old & cheap in silver/natural!

Emphasis on the latter point lol. I do not like the shape and grip of that dart at all. But to each player their own. I like Kim don't get me wrong but that dart with no Noir coating looks like a pub dart.

(06-12-2019, 12:13 PM)LethalEagle Wrote:
(06-12-2019, 12:10 PM)Poidisb Wrote:

Emphasis on the latter point lol. I do not like the shape and grip of that dart at all. But to each player their own. I like Kim don't get me wrong but that dart with no Noir coating looks like a pub dart.

Totally agreed, but in Noir it's a different beast, slim, subtle, beautiful & knurly! Love mine!

Since you mention it, there's something about knurling and black coating that works so well together. I have to agree on that. Makes me think of my love for the Corey Cadby dart. I just don't have it in my collection because of the price. Knurling needs coating to feel alright for me.

Thanks for all the replies up until now! If I understand correctly, aside from the looks, which I personally don't care about in this case (this one is purely function over form), the differences are very minor? It's mostly personal preference?

I'm leaning towards the flat nose because of how I grip my darts. I hold my ring finger underneath the point and pressed against the nose of the dart. So with a rounded nose, my finger sometimes slips a bit because I put a bit too much pressure on the curve, while with the flat nose, that doesn't seem to happen at all. 

A picture of my grip for reference:

[Image: 5mZITlv.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is There a Difference Beejay 13 369 06-05-2019, 04:33 AM
Last Post: LPPK
  What is the biggest difference a dart change has made to your game? Sultan Pepper 7 578 02-28-2018, 04:46 AM
Last Post: Sultan Pepper
  Phase 5 with grippy nose? JayKay 8 1,232 10-28-2017, 11:29 PM
Last Post: dave2604