World Cup format
I have been thinking of ways to improve the format of the World Cup. I think a better balance can be found to keep the pressure of the singles matches where players are left to their own devices but to still incorporate more pairs play which I think is important.

In the World Cup that has just finished only 4 of the 14 matches that didn't have obligatory pairs (so excluding the first round and final) saw pairs play involved. So 10 of 14 were done and dusted 2-0 with two singles matches only.

I feel it would add to the event and drama and general feel of it being a team event if at the conclusion of the majority of matches the team are on the stage when the winning double is hit. I also think that in singles matches with best of 7 format the advantage of throwing first is too big over such a short format.

I propose leaving the first round as it is, pairs match first to 5 legs. This for the time being protects the weaker nations best while at the same time giving adequate drama (6 of the 16 first round matches this year were either 5-4 or 5-3)

From the second round onwards I would still have singles play but with a difference. I would not have the singles play as rubbers earning points but simply x legs played in each matchup with the amount of legs won added to the team total. The number of legs played in each singles matchup to be an equal number so there is no throwing first advantage on either side. Throwing first would only be an advantage in pairs play where it is less of an advantage to begin with.

So

- Round of 32 : Pairs play race to 5 legs
- Round of 16 and Quarter finals : 2 x 6 legs singles play followed by pairs. Race to 10 legs
- Semi Finals : 2 x 6 legs singles play followed by pairs. Race to 11 legs
- Final : 2 x 6 legs singles play followed by pairs. Race to 12 legs

For the pairs play I would advocate the team trailing entering the pairs get the throw in the first leg, if nations are tied the lower seed gets the throw first leg. (If two unseeded teams are tied entering pairs apply to he the deeding of the highest seed they have previously knocked out)

Of course theoretically matches could end before pairs play but the vast majority would not, especially from the quarter finals onwards where teams are more closely matched.

I think this format would see this become more of a TEAM EVENT which it should be.

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts, if anybody can spot any flaws or things which could be improved. Maybe you think it's a terrible idea and things are fine as they are? let's hear opinions from all sides.

If you like the sound of it and are active on social media platforms (I do not partake in any social media myself) please feel free to share it and gather further opinions and report any major thoughts back here too. I would be intrigued to hear what people involved in the game be it players, pundits and/or commentators make of this proposal.
They ain't going to change the format even though a few of the players want it changed to just pairs. There is an interview on youtube with Rod Harrington, who is on the PDC board, and the powers that be are of the opinion that the paying public don't want to see pairs games, they just want to see the likes of MVG/Anderson/etc up on stage slugging it out in singles matches. They won't change the OOM criteria for the ranking tv events for the same reason.
(06-11-2019, 05:40 AM)mc1958 Wrote: They ain't going to change the format even though a few of the players want it changed to just pairs.  There is an interview on youtube with Rod Harrington, who is on the PDC board, and the powers that be are of the opinion that the paying public don't want to see pairs games, they just want to see the likes of MVG/Anderson/etc up on stage slugging it out in singles matches.  They won't change the OOM criteria for the ranking tv events for the same reason.

That's too bad. An all doubles format would be more interesting IMO.
So in your proposal, the singles matches would have 6 legs played, no matter what? I just don't think that would ever work. I think in any game, there has to be a clear winner. And the margin of the win should not count (apart from the leg difference tiebreakers in league formats like PL or GSOD) It's an interesting idea but I just don't really see it working in a professional environment.

I honestly don't think I've ever seen a suggestion that I could really see doing well. For me, it's either the current format or change it to all doubles, and of course have longer doubles games in the later rounds. From those 2 alternatives, I would prefer the current format to be honest.
(06-11-2019, 05:40 AM)mc1958 Wrote: They ain't going to change the format even though a few of the players want it changed to just pairs.  There is an interview on youtube with Rod Harrington, who is on the PDC board, and the powers that be are of the opinion that the paying public don't want to see pairs games, they just want to see the likes of MVG/Anderson/etc up on stage slugging it out in singles matches.  They won't change the OOM criteria for the ranking tv events for the same reason.

Yes I saw that interview, was interesting. I agree with them not wanting the event to be solely pairs not for the reason they say about wanting to see just two top players go at it but I enjoy the element of a player being up there on his own but with the pressure of doing it for somebody else too.
(06-11-2019, 11:23 AM)Phenohyte Wrote: So in your proposal, the singles matches would have 6 legs played, no matter what? I just don't think that would ever work. I think in any game, there has to be a clear winner. And the margin of the win should not count (apart from the leg difference tiebreakers in league formats like PL or GSOD) It's an interesting idea but I just don't really see it working in a professional environment.

I honestly don't think I've ever seen a suggestion that I could really see doing well. For me, it's either the current format or change it to all doubles, and of course have longer doubles games in the later rounds. From those 2 alternatives, I would prefer the current format to be honest.

Yes, 6 legs played no matter what. I get what you're saying about a game needing a winner but i wouldn't classify these as "matches" in themselves more they are a part of the match. Anyway, Premier league matches do not have winners on occasions. Think of it like a relay race, each participant on the relay team does not "win" their leg of the relay, they either gain or lose (or neither) their team an advantage which is passed on to the teammate following them in their ultimate goal to reach the finish line first.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unique Format For 2018 German Darts Masters mc1958 7 1,507 01-05-2018, 07:07 AM
Last Post: theblindPew