dartboard too dry
hello
i live in a low humidity environment and my fairly new dartboard ( harrows pro matchplay) is very dry, the darts fall off regularly and the bristle fibers are hard to penetrate, very stiff...
any suggestions to soften the bristle?
the only brand available where i live is harrows, so don't bother suggesting another brand...
thanks
22GR WOLFIES
22GR J WADE PHASE 1
23GR MVG ORIGINALS
shot! 9ti2 22gr/ clic shaft tweeny
target rvb 95 23gr/ original setup
winmau sub-zero torpedo 23 gr/ clic shaft tweeny
harrows fire tapered 22 gr/ clic shaft tweeny
harrows ice 22g
winmau stratos 24gr shark grip/ original setup
daytonas soft tip front weighted 20g
target carrera soft tip 20g
power 80 20g soft tip
phase 5 24g
and lots of designas
Hi,
sadly, i'd bet your board has exceeded its good life span.
The feeling is that the sisal fibers change into wood.

Nothing will help but a new board.
I have experimented extensively with water/humidity and a worn bristle board, no success.
As I understand it, dartboards are meant to be kept in a dry environment.
As Jefferz says, modern boards don't tend to dry out unless subjected to extreme conditions.  Heck , they're shipped with silicon packs.  Until you can confirm extreme dryness in your environment, I wouldn't conclude dryness is the issue.  If it is, you should see other symptoms like colours migrating or fibres pulling out.  Maybe even some lumps.

Check with a hygrometer over a period of time before looking for a fix.  Anything you do might make it worse, where as a little work on your points might resolve the issue.  I know in Western Canada where it gets very dry - particularly in the winter - people have been known to drape boards with a damp cloth overnight.  But be sure that's your problem before trying anything like that.  Under no circumstances, directly apply water or mist.

Good luck...
Scuffing up your points with some sandpaper could help a lot with the drop outs.
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me ..... I find bliss in my confusion.   

(06-08-2019, 06:42 PM)bdebbane Wrote: hello
i live in a low humidity environment and my fairly new dartboard ( harrows pro matchplay) is very dry, the darts fall off regularly and the bristle fibers are hard to penetrate, very stiff...
any suggestions to soften the bristle?
the only brand available where i live is harrows, so don't bother suggesting another brand...
thanks

Well, not being that far away from you, I can tell you, from personal experience, that in the relatively similar climate, here in Cyprus, boards simply do not last.  As you say they simply go hard and they feel very dry to the touch.

My board in the house is exactly the same board as yours, as is the board we play on in the league. We have to replace it every 6 months.  It exhibits the same symptoms, usually ends up bulging out in one part or another or the spider starts coming out.
We did try misting the board with some water it made no difference whatsoever.

The only advice I can give is keep turning the board regularly and scuff up your points to avoid the fall outs.

For comparison, my board in the UK, cold and damp, doesn't show any similar problems and I've had it much longer.
Might be useful to quantify those humidity readings.  Looking up average humidity for both Cyprus and Lebanon doesn't quite cut it.

We had a brief discussion on this in another thread:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...#pid439882

Of course in Canada, relative humidity inside is greatly influenced by heating and cooling systems. And I should mention @doubledouble is not from Calgary as stated, rather Edmonton Alberta. Wink   Still damn dry!

As mentioned in that other thread, I use a hygrometer to monitor humidity, and a humidifier runs steadily over the heating months.  Not sure if that's an option in this case, but be nice to know what the numbers say.  The first post in that linked thread is one of the places I heard about the damp cloth technique.

cheers...
(06-09-2019, 12:00 AM)nixer55 Wrote: Might be useful to quantify those humidity readings.  Looking up average humidity for both Cyprus and Lebanon doesn't quite cut it.

We had a brief discussion on this in another thread:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...#pid439882

Of course in Canada, relative humidity inside is greatly influenced by heating and cooling systems. And I should mention @doubledouble is not from Calgary as stated, rather Edmonton Alberta. Wink   Still damn dry!

As mentioned in that other thread, I use a hygrometer to monitor humidity, and a humidifier runs steadily over the heating months.  Not sure if that's an option in this case, but be nice to know what the numbers say.  The first post in that linked thread is one of the places I heard about the damp cloth technique.

cheers...
thank you nixer for your input!
i wil send you a photo of my old harrows dartboard, the spiders come out and the sisal concentrates in certain places and makes a bump that lifts from the wooden dartboard main body... i'm not a big harrows fan, although they put silica in the box, the board is pretty dry out of the box.
there are not much players here in lebanon, and i guess all the boards you find at sports shops here are old stock!!!
22GR WOLFIES
22GR J WADE PHASE 1
23GR MVG ORIGINALS
shot! 9ti2 22gr/ clic shaft tweeny
target rvb 95 23gr/ original setup
winmau sub-zero torpedo 23 gr/ clic shaft tweeny
harrows fire tapered 22 gr/ clic shaft tweeny
harrows ice 22g
winmau stratos 24gr shark grip/ original setup
daytonas soft tip front weighted 20g
target carrera soft tip 20g
power 80 20g soft tip
phase 5 24g
and lots of designas
Humidity on the coast, in Cyprus, is very high, as you go inland and increase your altitude the humidity drops considerably, it's one of the reasons I chose to live where I do.
Usually Cyprus is very dry, with hardly any rain at all for 7 or 8 months of the year, this is combined with high temperatures and uninterrupted sunshine.
We have had drought conditions here for the last 4 out of 5 years, there was very little water left in the reservoirs.  Fortunately last winter it rained constantly, in record quantities, and filled the reservoirs up.
Neither of the boards I mentioned are kept in any sort of climate control, simply in cabinets on the wall which are closed when they're not in use.  Both boards are dry as a bone, for whatever reasons they, simply do not last in the climate we have here!