Is There a Difference
Hi Guys,

As a virgin to all things darts I have found myself internet shopping and looking at different styles of darts for me to try and use.  In my location there are no dart shops within a 100 miles so the internet and all you nice people out there are my mentors.  I have already discovered that I'm a front gripper and the weight I like is 22 - 24 grams for the barrels.  I have a set of 18 gram junk darts and I've played with them and added lead tape, Tennis racket balancing tape, and have found my weight and my happy place on the darts.  Here's the big question and that is I like the Winmau Andy Fordham darts and the John Lowes, at least I hope I will .  
    The dimensions on these two darts are almost identical except for the finish which I really don't care about too much and they're both 90% ti.  The Lowes are almost twice the price so is there a difference in the Lowes that makes them a better dart?  Just trying to find my way through all of this new stuff....  Thanks
I would go with the Fordham’s. Firstly Winmau darts are every bit as good as Unicorn (many on here will say they are better quality) and secondly, since you are not yet sure if this style is right for you, the cheaper option is I think the better one.

You can always treat yourself to the Lowe’s later on if you decide this type of dart works for you
(06-03-2019, 11:02 PM)Beejay Wrote: Hi Guys,

As a virgin to all things darts I have found myself internet shopping and looking at different styles of darts for me to try and use.  In my location there are no dart shops within a 100 miles so the internet and all you nice people out there are my mentors.  I have already discovered that I'm a front gripper and the weight I like is 22 - 24 grams for the barrels.  I have a set of 18 gram junk darts and I've played with them and added lead tape, Tennis racket balancing tape, and have found my weight and my happy place on the darts.  Here's the big question and that is I like the Winmau Andy Fordham darts and the John Lowes, at least I hope I will .  
    The dimensions on these two darts are almost identical except for the finish which I really don't care about too much and they're both 90% ti.  The Lowes are almost twice the price so is there a difference in the Lowes that makes them a better dart?  Just trying to find my way through all of this new stuff....  Thanks

Frankly the cost of darts has become more and obscene when you consider the actual cost of machining a small length of Tungsten bar in a NC lathe.

The manufacturers spit them out like chips and market them to the minions as something NASA scientists have engineered.

Then of course there are the exotic coatings and grip patterns, revolving stems and mysterious designs based on Mythical animals or Ancient Entities which will make your dart fly like an eagle during its 6ft journey to the board....really laughable if it wasn’t all such a rip off!

Now rant over, I hope you appreciate that it’s simply marketing and gullible wannabes who pay more than is sensible for revamped darts like the ‘Lowe’s.’

Having said that the fact is we have very little choice in the matter as resellers aren’t that competitive these days.

Cheers
^^^^^ I have to agree !!!
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me ..... I find bliss in my confusion.   

Perhaps use the DC dart selector to check if they have a similar dart in a less expensive brand, darts clearance on ebay or Pure Darts
p[Image: GEpKdcf.png] 
Current Board 
ONE80 Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore  charcoal flights and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average                 

It's why the only darts I ever buy now are from darts clearance unless there's a specific new shape that i want to try. For 90% of the darts that I own are no-names, with no paint, and under £12.
There's only so many ways you can market and sell a lump of tungsten. For most darts, 10% of the price is the actual complete and functional dart, and the other 90% is added worthlessness such as paint and stylish nicks and marketing fluff and such like.
Thank you all for your thoughts on this issue since I kind of knew it but as a beginner I was a little hesitant to just go with my gut feelings. Also the way I found the darts in question was using Dart Corners search engine and these two stuck out as what I wanted. I'll good ahead and try a search for darts clearance and see if anything entices me in their direction. Again thanks for all your responses and advise as always.
(06-03-2019, 11:16 PM)rich345 Wrote: I would go with the Fordham’s. Firstly Winmau darts are every bit as good as Unicorn (many on here will say they are better quality) and secondly, since you are not yet sure if this style is right for you, the cheaper option is I think the better one.

You can always treat yourself to the Lowe’s later on if you decide this type of dart works for you

Thank You and I'm going with the Fordhams as suggested.  Just makes more sense to me in the long run..., have a great day
(06-03-2019, 11:25 PM)Dorian Wrote: Frankly the cost of darts has become more and obscene when you consider the actual cost of machining a small length of Tungsten bar in a NC lathe.
The manufacturers spit them out like chips and market them to the minions as something NASA scientists have engineered.

Then of course there are the exotic coatings and grip patterns, revolving stems and mysterious designs based on Mythical animals or Ancient Entities which will make your dart fly like an eagle during its 6ft journey to the board....really laughable if it wasn’t all such a rip off!

Now rant over, I hope you appreciate that it’s simply marketing and gullible wannabes who pay more than is sensible for revamped darts like the ‘Lowe’s.’

Having said that the fact is we have very little choice in the matter as resellers aren’t that competitive these days.

Cheers

rofl rofl rofl rofl

Please, stop ruining my job!
That's the nature of the free market.  Dart makers can (and should) test the tolerance of the dart buying minions (like me).  I do 95% of my dart buying on ebay, but mostly because I like old, weird, simple darts, and the trend in new darts lately has been the opposite of that.  Several weeks ago an opponent was showing off his new set of viking-this-or-that darts from I don't know where.  Even the points had an effing pattern on them and the pattern on the barrels was so complex it made me dizzy to even look at them.  I'll take a smooth, featureless, copper tungsten barrel any day of the week over 99.9% of the new darts being offered out there these days.  Anyway.  Not everything should be dirt cheap.  Dart makers are right to test the market.  They should never charge less than the market will tolerate.  That's one of the underlying struts of our economy!

Zeeple
The Dart Indoors
If you are after a set of fordham shaped barrels, you can pick these up with 10% dartsnutz discount;

https://www.quantumdarts.co.uk/product/q...s-400-24g/
https://www.puredarts.co.uk/firefox-dart...(23g).html

found no difference to the Lowe's.
Some nicer pics: http://imgur.com/gallery/fX9l1O5

Gesendet von meinem moto x4 mit Tapatalk
You might also want to take a look at the Designa Mega Grip 2 darts. They're a couple of mm longer than the Lowes and Fordhams, and about 0.5 mm thinner but are approximately the same shape.  They're also about half the price of the Fordhams.  They do take some getting used to, so trying out a less expensive set might be a good idea.

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_in...s_id=28070
Current darts: Designa Spectre 224 24g
Board: Winmau Blade 5
Best 501 game: 11 darts  (3 times)
Best 1001 game: 27 darts
High finish: 170
2018 180s: 280
/300  2019 180s: 113/200
Lifetime 3 x Bull: 39
It took a while to dig this up, but here's a thread with lots of good Lowe-style alternatives: https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=32470

And a review of my personal favorite dart with that shape, the One80 Nighthunter Sting: https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=34101

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Difference between a flat and rounded nose YoungStarDC 24 986 07-06-2019, 12:24 PM
Last Post: YoungStarDC