Doubles , not landing in middle
(06-11-2019, 07:48 PM)CalixNL Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 07:42 PM)Dan180 Wrote: I always aim for the centre, 70% of the time it hits the centre. When I first started playing they were landing all over the bed, but now I try to hit at least around 50% of the area I'm aiming for.

A good way to practice is placing a dart on the outside of the double to the centre as a marker, but not in the way of the path of the incoming dart. Muscle memory will take over eventually, and the less you actually think about hitting the more you will. I believe darts is psychological just as much as the physical side of things.

Thanks!!! 

The placing the dart outside the double is a great idea. That is how I started hitting my first 180. I would Place one dart in the t20 and the next two would folllowin every time,  now  when I hit my first dart i have something to aim for other than the bed.

Can’t wait to try with the doubles!
Thanks for the suggestion and reply!

No problem!!

Worked for me when I did it for a month or so, might not be to everyone's style but worth a shot! Good luck.
Darts:
Target Carrera C5 Pixel Grip (23g)
8 Flight Fixed Black Short Shafts
8 Flight No.2 Standard Black Flights
Target Storm Nano Grip Black 26mm Points

Setup:
Unicorn Eclipse HD2 Pro Edition Board
Unicorn Striker Black Surround
Target Corona Vision Light System

180's: 
2019: 70
2018: 27

(06-08-2019, 02:28 AM)CalixNL Wrote: Thanks for the reply and data!

That’s a good way to track your outshots ! I made sense of most of it.

I will have to use a Portion of your formula to work on my doubles and out shots! 

I have a few questions , but I think I follow. Keeping track of your results , best and worst. Some of the numbers confuse me . Like , the “4,59” ones on the average line, what do they represent? number of darts? Played 22 rounds of check out , and the average number of darts to check each number out? Best and worse?
Edit
Actually it’s okay buddy you don’t gotta explain it to me! Lol thanks for sharing !

I posted more about that spreadsheet here. I changed it a bit in the end, but I hope it's done.
https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...#pid562156
(06-11-2019, 07:42 PM)Dan180 Wrote:  I believe darts is psychological just as much as the physical side of things.

hell I reckon around 90% psychological 
certainly for me it is 
my arm pretty much knows what it’s doing most of the time, it’s my head where I have all kinds of problems Big Grin
I think it's mostly psychology too. I've often thought that it's about getting the whole 'system' in harmony and working well. Follow through and keeping the shoulders etc still are mostly guidelines, similar to chess where they say "knights on the rim are dim" or to "never move the same piece twice in the opening" (both rules and others are mostly rubbish, and are designed only as a guide for beginners until they know better).
There are more than enough superb players who don't live by the rules.
I can barely hit a double in practice let alone in a game , i shouldn’t be worrying about where it lands in it!
I spent 10-20 minutes after playing a 501 game , was left trying to check out 51 with 19 D16 , I still never hit it. Then I went 11 D20 and hit it. First try. I also tried 1 DB A few times but never got it.

I’ve got a lot Work to do lol , learning checkouts and building, muscle memory
Seek ye first the Kingdom of God
(06-12-2019, 02:25 AM)CalixNL Wrote: I can barely hit a double in practice let alone in a game , i shouldn’t be worrying about where it lands in it!
I spent 10-20 minutes after playing a 501 game , was left trying to check out 51 with 19 D16 , I still never hit it. Then I went 11 D20 and hit it. First try. I also tried 1 DB A few times but never got it.

Calix, you might try something like 101 to work on finishing.  Which helps you get used to making adjustments.  Also helps with the counting, and therefore your rhythm.  Which is really elimination of the dreaded 'how much do I have left'.  With some practice, you'll know, and have a target immediately after each dart.  An outchart can help getting started, but eventually you'll develop your own preferred finishing strategies.

You can add to the 'pressure' by giving yourself a certain number of darts to finish, but not a big deal at the beginning.  Once you get into the swing of things, you can increase the exercise to 201.  To work on those setups and bigger finishes.  And so on, all the way up to 501. Smile

Good luck!
(06-12-2019, 05:03 PM)nixer55 Wrote:
(06-12-2019, 02:25 AM)CalixNL Wrote: I can barely hit a double in practice let alone in a game , i shouldn’t be worrying about where it lands in it!

Calix, you might try something like 101 to work on finishing.  Which helps you get used to making adjustments.  Also helps with the counting, and therefore your rhythm.  Which is really elimination of the dreaded 'how much do I have left'.  With some practice, you'll know, and have a target immediately after each dart.  An outchart can help getting started, but eventually you'll develop your own preferred finishing strategies.

You can add to the 'pressure' by giving yourself a certain number of darts to finish, but not a big deal at the beginning.  Once you get into the swing of things, you can increase the exercise to 201.  To work on those setups and bigger finishes.  And so on, all the way up to 501. Smile

Good luck!

Thanks for the strong direction towards practice regime,  I have been using check out charts , sadly I havent gotten to playing 101 ;201 to focus on checking out as much as I should. I’m getting there though. 

I CAN hit the doubles lol, I was just trying to be as modest as possible  About my skills lol. 

[Image: QBFwtGR.jpg]

I really am still trying to get My whole natural rhythm ,sightline and form down with a preferred barrel before I go diving into learning all the checkouts. BUT I know there’s no harm in learning same time....and yes, incorporating the counting and recovering into the rythm of your game play will develop , I’ve noticed it improve just from counting in my head 3very score, and learning little tricks in My mind for certain numbers.....for me, I find the more times I run into a number during 01 game that is possible to checkout with two darts, I’m finding my self memorize them, all though it’s not in numerical order, more a random pattern of numbers , I’m talking like maybe 5-7 outshots I have learned from repetition
Seek ye first the Kingdom of God
(06-06-2019, 11:02 AM)elevendarter Wrote:
(06-02-2019, 03:35 AM)nixer55 Wrote: Earlier this year, I guy in our league was having problems doubling in.  I asked him what number he was aiming for.  He replied - "I aim for the side of the board".  I replied - "that's part of your problem."  His strategy was fine, but just hoping for any double on the side is not the best idea.  You need a specific target.

Aiming for the whole double is pretty much the same thing.  A precise aiming point allows for more margin of error than a general spot. 

cheers

Twenty years ago I asked a very good player back then how come he is so accurate on doubles. He told me that he is aiming at one dot (soft tips) at the segment. Not at the whole double. That's pretty much the same like what you wrote above. I think it could be helpfull for someone, even though it didn't work for me. Although, maybe I am that crap at doubles because I didn't fully follow his advise.

Seriously, I think that wanting darts to land right in the middle is too much. I am glad if it lands in the proper double at all.

There's something else what's helped me more. I try to think at what I want to hit. I try not to think about targets that I don't want to hit. Theory was that thinking about D7 is still thinking about D7, no matter what you want to do with that. So, the best way what one can do to not hit that D7 is not to think about D7 at all. Since I stopped thinking about my worries, I hit less D7, T18 etc.

EDIT: I mean not to hit D7 instead of D16, or T18 instead of S18....

This.

I was told exactly the same thing by a pro player.

Dont just aim at the treble, double or single bed, aim at a precise spot within it (A previous dart hole, a board blemish, a little mark etc)

You will be really surprised how often you hit it.

(Hope this helps).
Back playing and having fun!

2018:-   180`s:-6 Shy ,   High Finish:-141 (T20, T19, D12)  Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are my darts landing at strange angles? MrsWarrior 14 7,565 03-13-2015, 07:51 PM
Last Post: guest2