Doubles , not landing in middle
(06-03-2019, 12:00 AM)nixer55 Wrote: I wouldn't go for style points either - don't count for anything.  But might help with the aiming, you just never know. Rolleyes

Hey, If darts ever becomes an Olympic sport!!!!!
Seek ye first the Kingdom of God
(06-03-2019, 12:32 AM)CalixNL Wrote: Hey, If darts ever becomes an Olympic sport!!!!!

You would still see the folks that are winning on the PDC tour winning the medals-------and they take their doubles anywhere they hit them in the segment.      You don't win any more by being dead center.
gumbo2176
(06-04-2019, 02:08 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(06-03-2019, 12:32 AM)CalixNL Wrote: Hey, If darts ever becomes an Olympic sport!!!!!

You would still see the folks that are winning on the PDC tour winning the medals-------and they take their doubles anywhere they hit them in the segment.      You don't win any more by being dead center.

Obviously not. But the comment above mentions style points. WHich are often used for judges to score with lol . a “In the olympics” lol
It was a joke.

Like figure skating style points.

No one is debating that a double isn’t a double wherever it lands .
To re iterate .

I was asking

in the darts “ for beginners “ section,

Should I focus on trying to land my doubles / outshots in the Center of the bed .

Which I learned, I should aim for the centre . But take it where ya get it.

I learned also, i was aiming for the entire bed as a whole rather than the centre of the Bed , which is why all my darts were on the outside edges mostly. I have been focusing on trying to aim for the centre which requires a little more patience before throwing but helps .
Most of the time, aiming for the centre of the double would seem to be the way to go, siince that gives some wiggle room all around the point you're aiming for.  There is one time, though, when strategically that isn't the best place to aim.  If you have two darts in hand and you're on an odd numbered double (D3, D11, D19 etc.) it's probably better to aim at or near the outside wire.  The reasoning is that if you hit the double, great, but if you miss, you've got another dart at the same double.  That's far better than missing inside, which means you have to use the third dart to clean up the odd number you've left, and gives your opponent another throw to take the game out.
Current darts: Designa Spectre 224 24g
Board: Winmau Blade 5
Best 501 game: 11 darts  (3 times)
Best 1001 game: 27 darts
High finish: 170
2018 180s: 280
/300  2019 180s: 113/200
Lifetime 3 x Bull: 39
^^^^^ No arguments from me.
(06-05-2019, 04:23 AM)djb Wrote: Most of the time, aiming for the centre of the double would seem to be the way to go, siince that gives some wiggle room all around the point you're aiming for.  There is one time, though, when strategically that isn't the best place to aim.  If you have two darts in hand and you're on an odd numbered double (D3, D11, D19 etc.) it's probably better to aim at or near the outside wire.  The reasoning is that if you hit the double, great, but if you miss, you've got another dart at the same double.  That's far better than missing inside, which means you have to use the third dart to clean up the odd number you've left, and gives your opponent another throw to take the game out.

Hats off to you sir! Thank you for the reply , great perception and strategy !
(06-02-2019, 03:35 AM)nixer55 Wrote: Earlier this year, I guy in our league was having problems doubling in.  I asked him what number he was aiming for.  He replied - "I aim for the side of the board".  I replied - "that's part of your problem."  His strategy was fine, but just hoping for any double on the side is not the best idea.  You need a specific target.

Aiming for the whole double is pretty much the same thing.  A precise aiming point allows for more margin of error than a general spot. 

cheers

Twenty years ago I asked a very good player back then how come he is so accurate on doubles. He told me that he is aiming at one dot (soft tips) at the segmemt. Not at the whole double. That's pretty much the same like what you wrote above. I think it could be helpfull for someone, even though it didn't work for me. Although, maybe I am that crap at doubles because I didn't fully follow his advise.

Seriously, I think that wanting darts to land right in the middle is too much. I am glad if it lands in the proper double at all.

There's something else what's helped me more. I try to think at what I want to hit. I try not to think about targets that I don't want to hit. Theory was that thinking about D7 is still thinking about D7, no matter what you want to do with that. So, the best way what one can do to not hit that D7 is not to think about D7 at all. Since I stopped thinking about my worries, I hit less D7, T18 etc.

EDIT: I mean not to hit D7 instead of D16, or T18 instead of S18....
(06-06-2019, 11:02 AM)elevendarter Wrote: Seriously, I think that wanting darts to land right in the middle is too much. I am glad if it lands in the proper double at all.

Lol,  I don’t necessarily expect or want my darts to land right in the middle of the double , I was just noticing that my double shots, that I do hit, land far left or right,  or top and bottom of the segment in which I was aiming, not even including on the wire or not.. I wasn’t sure if this was an area that a player should focus on and practice - improving accuracy and consistency . I chalk my sloppy doubles up to not doing enough doubles practice. Never a reason to not try and improve quality of game play as a beginner
Think anything that refines your concentration is a win.  Regardless of how you define it.  At the end of day, should be automatic anyway.  Which brings us a full circle. Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are my darts landing at strange angles? MrsWarrior 14 7,565 03-13-2015, 07:51 PM
Last Post: guest2