Physics question - Weight of dart effects?
I've just been playing around with different weights of darts... and I've got a question which is probably for the physicists..

If I had exactly the same dart shape and size and set up but one barrel was heavier (ie. made of higher % tungsten) and you had two identical throws, one with the lighter dart and one with the heavier, which one would hit the board higher up?  (If at all)

My thought process is that a heavier dart would drop quicker so would end up in the board lower down - would this be the case?
Dartboard: Blade 4 dual core
Started playing: 01/09/2018
180's: 3
Best Checkout: 100 (twice)
Best leg: 19 darts 

The heavier dart should land higher up if thrown exactly the same.
Gravity remains the same no matter what weight is used, so in terms of dip down to the board there will be no difference (assuming no aero affect on flights etc).
The heavier dart, however, will be less prone to drag (this is where airflow and drag come in) and should keep its speed to the board easier, therefore losing less forward momentum, and, not dropping from its trajectory as much.
So....heavier dart logically should land higher due to less effect of drag to slow it down.
As said, the range and the maximum (or landing) height of the projectile does not depend upon its mass.
If you are interested in the math: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projectile_motion
What do you mean by identical throws?

Releasing the dart with the same velocity or the same energy?
Phil Taylor once pointed out that when his darts dropped a bit low he increased the weight of his darts.I assume this would be due to the age of the competitor as when you get older you will inveriably get a bit weaker and your endurance would suffer. Ballistics has a similar outcome larger projectile less powder versus higher powder volume smaller projectile will have a similar velocity.
Darts used 25g Adrian Gray Tungsten Shot Flights XLt Stems
Best Av (Singles) : 84
Best 501 : 15 darts
Highest Checkout 2016 : 160 (T20 T20 D20)
180s Practice  2019 : 50+
180s Comp 2019 : 3 
150s Practice : 3
(05-31-2019, 10:17 AM)GONKO Wrote: The heavier dart should land higher up if thrown exactly the same.
Gravity remains the same no matter what weight is used, so in terms of dip down to the board there will be no difference (assuming no aero affect on flights etc).
The heavier dart, however, will be less prone to drag (this is where airflow and drag come in) and should keep its speed to the board easier, therefore losing less forward momentum, and, not dropping from its trajectory as much.
So....heavier dart logically should land higher due to less effect of drag to slow it down.

Couldent have said it better!! Gonko has got the right idea. When I changed from 16gm to 18gm barrels, my darts started landing high... I got used to it, and after a while loved the way they landed in the board... then I made a big change, going from 18Gm to 22gm.. and the effect of darts going high was even more apparent! Cheers
Darts: 21.5 gm monster cobra I no.5 soft tips
Flights: l-style Jelle klassen blackout 
Shafts: Silver/black supergrip carbons.
Favorite players: Simon Whitlock, Jelle klaasen
2019 180’s: 9/12
2019 Hat: 121/130
2019 highlights: finished game with a 6.45mpr in cricket and lost. 
Won my first tournament! (1/25/19)
“My biggest problem in life, is overcoming myself... but once I defeated myself, all that was left was peace”-Kevin Gates
A friend and longtime player once told me - heavier darts make it easier to hit higher sections of the board.  Generally speaking, I find this true.  But as in all things dart related, your mileage will certainly vary. Smile
I believe my brain makes an imperceptible change to allow for a change of dart weights.

As for throwing high, I find that this is something that happens when I move to a lighter dart.  I normally throw between 23 and 26g darts but I have a set of 22g Red Dragon Javelins and occasionally I'll throw one above the number ring. This could be a balance issue with the Javelin as it has a long barrel at 54.6mm

I think that grip, balance and concentration are major factors and make dart weight almost a trivial issue.
I throw between 23g to 16g straight barrels, no difference other than the strain put on my fingers when throwing the light darts. All fly the same, the only factor that affects them is the setup and type of flights.

It's all in the mind. I watched a video about Rob Cross and Whitlock throwing house-darts at a balloon fun fair, they hit the balloons dead centre all the time with the cheapo light darts. Still fly the same.
Fav Dart : Harrows Nemesis 20g softip & RAZR Bulbous  20g softip
Shaft      : Harrows Heavy Metal 4g brass
Flight      : Harrows Hologram Fantail, Dimplex, Velos
Points     : Cosmo Fit Point + , CHEAP Harrows Conversion Points
Board     : Harrows Pro Matchplay
Machine  : VSPhoenix
OCD Darter!! Shy

I can pretty well adjust to any dart weight within a few rounds; I have 5.5 g Mosquitos and 32 g Unicorn Core Strikers.
I have a little trouble controlling the extremely light darts (imagine trying to throw a feather accurately), so I have to throw them harder which causes my arm tire quicker if I'm trying to practice for more than a few minutes. The 32 g set is tough to group due to the diameter, but they're pretty decent to throw/control.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which dart weight to choose? Heavy or light? The D'Artist 65 106,670 9 hours ago
Last Post: Cat
  Dart Weight - How Important Is It Zazl 7 751 03-28-2019, 05:22 AM
Last Post: ROKGoose
  Who has changed weight drastically. Dart weight that is. cubdog 16 887 01-02-2019, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Red'75™
  The Dart God returns and a question. Baloos 14 724 11-10-2018, 09:50 PM
Last Post: Baloos
  Dart Shirt Question Adams 24 1,752 03-24-2018, 03:44 AM
Last Post: LethalEagle
  Dart Modification question tonywalsh00 2 485 03-22-2018, 03:07 PM
Last Post: tonywalsh00
  question are ther any new dart boards due to be released this year John holmes 19 2,663 02-22-2018, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Ryk
  Darts Physics The Jester 10 999 02-12-2018, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Shed inn
  How does the dart weight effect you? Jimbob 2705 11 3,542 01-18-2018, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Spencerdl
  Question- You have a one dart out *Saber* 21 1,939 12-23-2017, 11:26 PM
Last Post: F4tboy