Were you able to quit smoking ?
Congratulations to all of you who have done well.
Me, I haven't done so well, but hey, you never know. Smile
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me ..... I find bliss in my confusion.   

(05-29-2019, 12:36 AM)Borisbbadd Wrote: Congratulations to all of you who have done well.

Don't be down on yourself.  You've just got to want it bad enough, and you will know when that is.   For me, it was when I turned 50 in November of 02 and decided I'd smoke until New Years Eve and quit at midnight.   One of the best decisions of my life.
gumbo2176
Many years ago, I did a ten year quit, lost it and went back to smoking. Smoked for a couple years, then did a three year quit, lost it and again went back to smoking. My most recent quit started on 4/9/2002, so I’m presently a bit over seventeen years and counting. I don’t see losing it and going back this time. Even if I was tempted to, the outrageous cost of tobacco this days would keep me from going back.
(05-29-2019, 12:36 AM)Borisbbadd Wrote: Congratulations to all of you who have done well.
If I can give up smoking, then I'm sure you can. It's partly about planning and partly about willpower (you've got to want to give up, as gumbo says).

For the planning part, I spent several weeks beforehand chain smoking to install the idea that smoking is disgusting. Every time I went to have a cig, I would chain-smoke around 7. Always outside with Old Holburn(hated it!), whatever the time, whatever the weather, and always without a filter.
I also had one of those apps that reminded me, day by day, how much I wasn't wasting on cigs. Plus I wrote down and researched every god damn reason why I should stay quit and all the benefits that it brings. I was determined I was going to give up.

Whenever I had a craving, I would remember my chain-smoking sessions and how disgusting it tasted.
i quit a long time ago, couple decades at least
was doing minimum wage s**t work at the time, & peeling the plastic off a pack one morning I was just struck by the thought “there’s another  fiver up in smoke” , and for some reason it did it that morning. chucked the pack to a co-worker.

haven’t smoked since.
just as well. the old man kicked the bucket a few years back; lung cancer. he was on 60 a day for 60 years.

don’t quit.. quitting guys. even if it takes a dozen shots at it, it’ll be worth it
(06-04-2019, 11:53 PM)EviLZippY Wrote:  “there’s another  fiver up in smoke” , and for some reason it did it that morning. chucked the pack to a co-worker.

haven’t smoked since.

When you think about it in  dollars and cents------it make sense to quit.     Think about all you could do with the money that goes up in smoke on a daily basis, not to mention the potential medical costs of that habit and it's really a no-brainer.

One of the best things I've done in my life besides marry my 3rd wife who I'll either die before or after, because we're in it for the long run.
gumbo2176
(06-05-2019, 02:15 AM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(06-04-2019, 11:53 PM)EviLZippY Wrote:  “there’s another  fiver up in smoke” , and for some reason it did it that morning. chucked the pack to a co-worker.

haven’t smoked since.

When you think about it in  dollars and cents------it make sense to quit.     Think about all you could do with the money that goes up in smoke on a daily basis, not to mention the potential medical costs of that habit and it's really a no-brainer.

One of the best things I've done in my life besides marry my 3rd wife who I'll either die before or after, because we're in it for the long run.

That reminds me of an old joke that I heard many years ago. I try to rewrite it in english.

Unhealthy looking man, leaning on the wall of a skyscraper, smoking and coughing badly...
A passing by man notices him, approaches him and asks him.

" Do you smoke?"

The smoking man looks at him, looks at the cig in his fingers, coughs and says:

"Yeah".

The passing by man looks at the poor smoking man and asks.

" How many years have you been smoking?"

"Cough...bout sixty. "

"How many cigarettes a day do you smoke?"

Man answers how many it is.

"...and what brand do you smoke?"

"These..."

"And how much is a pack?"

The smoking man answers again.

The passing by man picks up a pen and a notepad, then he's scribbling something for a few seconds and then he asks the smoking man again:

"Do you realize, that if you hadn't been smoking that many cigs for that many years, then this skyscraper, that you're leaning on, could've been yours????"

The smoking man, looks at the passing by man, coughs and says:
"Well, it is mine..."
It's been twenty odd years now, and it took me a while to get over it. Biggest problem was, not to eat too much instead Blush ...
After years of smoking cigarettes I switched to a pipe and smoked them for 20+ years. Finally about 10 years ago I was forced to quit before back surgery. I still miss the pipe but not enough to even consider going back.
Liberal heathen