Were you able to quit smoking ?
I have to admit the truth, when it comes to smoking, I seem to be "World Class".
Three times I've quit for over a year, and numerous times for a month or two here and there.
My problem is that for me, it is really hard to quit something that I really like to do.
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me ..... I find bliss in my confusion.   

It s been 20 years ago that i ve smoked my last cigarette.

I was able to stop smoking with the book  from Allen Carr.....in German Endlich Nichtraucher ....nonsmoker finally....
180    13/12   Moddarts
(05-28-2019, 02:23 PM)SlingBlade Wrote: Think it was '78? I started running and they didn't go well together.  Still to this day I sometimes smell a smoke and think it smells ok but most of the time second hand smoke is the worst.

Since I quit, I find the smell repulsive.  Problem for me is, my wife still smokes even though she's tried to quit several times.

She only  makes if for a week or two and it's back to the cigarettes.     And the real kicker for me is that her 2 kids both smoke now, and smoke pretty heavily.   As kids, they hated that their mom and I smoked, even though we always did outside, never in the house and not in the car if they were in it.   Both of them smoke over a pack a day now and my wife smokes about 4-5 packs a week.

I'd love to have the money they spend on cigarettes when the average pack is costing around $6-$7 each.    A year's worth of that money would afford a nice vacation.
gumbo2176
I quit about 20-25 years ago after watching my father and good friends die. Just quit cold turkey.I had one or two bad days (nasty,on edge,) and then all was fine. Here's the kicker though.....I still think to this day it was the worst thing I did. I have never felt good since I quit. Physically mostly and some mentally. It's not like I'm dying to have one, really never think about it, but I do get the urge every so often. I bought an electronic one for those times. I won't go back unless I get told I only have "so long to live" then it will be the first thing I do. I really enjoyed it.
I used to have one in my mouth whenever I played darts...could be the reason I can't throw now.....lol
Have up 1983 went cold turkey and never had one since
Congratulations to all of you who have done well.
Me, I haven't done so well, but hey, you never know. Smile
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me ..... I find bliss in my confusion.   

(05-29-2019, 12:36 AM)Borisbbadd Wrote: Congratulations to all of you who have done well.

Don't be down on yourself.  You've just got to want it bad enough, and you will know when that is.   For me, it was when I turned 50 in November of 02 and decided I'd smoke until New Years Eve and quit at midnight.   One of the best decisions of my life.
gumbo2176
Many years ago, I did a ten year quit, lost it and went back to smoking. Smoked for a couple years, then did a three year quit, lost it and again went back to smoking. My most recent quit started on 4/9/2002, so I’m presently a bit over seventeen years and counting. I don’t see losing it and going back this time. Even if I was tempted to, the outrageous cost of tobacco this days would keep me from going back.
(05-29-2019, 12:36 AM)Borisbbadd Wrote: Congratulations to all of you who have done well.
If I can give up smoking, then I'm sure you can. It's partly about planning and partly about willpower (you've got to want to give up, as gumbo says).

For the planning part, I spent several weeks beforehand chain smoking to install the idea that smoking is disgusting. Every time I went to have a cig, I would chain-smoke around 7. Always outside with Old Holburn(hated it!), whatever the time, whatever the weather, and always without a filter.
I also had one of those apps that reminded me, day by day, how much I wasn't wasting on cigs. Plus I wrote down and researched every god damn reason why I should stay quit and all the benefits that it brings. I was determined I was going to give up.

Whenever I had a craving, I would remember my chain-smoking sessions and how disgusting it tasted.
i quit a long time ago, couple decades at least
was doing minimum wage s**t work at the time, & peeling the plastic off a pack one morning I was just struck by the thought “there’s another  fiver up in smoke” , and for some reason it did it that morning. chucked the pack to a co-worker.

haven’t smoked since.
just as well. the old man kicked the bucket a few years back; lung cancer. he was on 60 a day for 60 years.

don’t quit.. quitting guys. even if it takes a dozen shots at it, it’ll be worth it

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thats it i quit !!!!!!! paddydub 16 2,374 05-31-2013, 06:43 AM
Last Post: madzkymadz