How do you know if a dart is too long?
I'm relatively new to steel tip.... have dabbled in soft tip on and off again several years ago and the dart bug has really grabbed ahold of me.   I have a few different styles of steel tip darts based on the recommendations from the beginners darting guides. 

I have been practicing a lot with the Designa Dark Thunder 24g dart as it seemed like a good dart for many grip styles etc. 

[Image: PgcOiE4m.jpg?2]
I can't tell if the dart is too long for me (I am a rear gripper) as it seems like I throw the dart, I see a lot of kick up from the flight end.  I have tried changing my grip position more centered and even a front grip but that seems to make the kick worse.  

I have tried every combination of flight size and shaft length and am still getting kick.  Is this something that I should not worry about or is it simply in how I release the dart?  I seem to get better flight from my Pentathlon TDP darts which have a very short barrel length in comparison to the Dark Thunders. 
[Image: aEi7OxVm.jpg?1] 

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.  

Thanks,
Jon
I let a guy I know who plays in the local league try out my new Daytona Fire darts the other day and he couldn't get them to land without the tail being down no matter how he set them up. His go-to dart is a shorter barrel dart that is a bit front loaded and I know how the throws them as he's one of the better players in the local league.

They were set up the way they came in the packaging with the carbon stems and standard flights. I found it a bit odd that the carbon stems have a different diameter thread than the typical 2BA stems but there is a small piece of the barrel that unscrews and is a transition from the 2BA to the smaller threaded stem. Removing that allows me to use an assortment of stem lengths but will definitely take a bit of the overall weight off the dart.
gumbo2176
(05-26-2019, 09:22 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: I let a guy I know who plays in the local league try out my new Daytona Fire darts the other day and he couldn't get them to land without the tail being down no matter how he set them up.    His go-to dart is a shorter barrel dart that is a bit front loaded and I know how the throws them as he's one of the better players in the local league.

They were set up the way they came in the packaging with the carbon stems and standard flights.   I found it a bit odd that the carbon stems have a different diameter thread than the typical 2BA stems but there is a small piece of the barrel that unscrews and is a transition from the 2BA to the smaller threaded stem.   Removing that allows me to use an assortment of stem lengths but will definitely take a bit of the overall weight off the dart.

As a general rule of thumb, as a right hander, if the dart lands with the flight left of the barrel it's too long. Right of the barell indicates too short and dead straight is just the right length. I throw a 48mm dart which is right for me, any other length , 1mm up or down, produces a "kick" either way.
I was using fit #3 shafts and it was hitting off my glasses on my back throw. I switched to #2 and the problem went away and scores have gotten significantly better.
Target Daytona Fire GT10 18g Soft Tip Darts
Ton80 Count-3
Quote:As a general rule of thumb, as a right hander, if the dart lands with the flight left of the barrel it's too long. Right of the barell indicates too short and dead straight is just the right length. I throw a 48mm dart which is right for me, any other length , 1mm up or down, produces a "kick" either way.

Actually, I think all that means is that your release isn't straight, and there's a specific combined length that will make your fishtailing dart land straight.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

^^^^^^ Agree.
(06-04-2019, 03:04 PM)brenthahn Wrote:
Quote:As a general rule of thumb, as a right hander, if the dart lands with the flight left of the barrel it's too long. Right of the barell indicates too short and dead straight is just the right length. I throw a 48mm dart which is right for me, any other length , 1mm up or down, produces a "kick" either way.

Actually, I think all that means is that your release isn't straight, and there's a specific combined length that will make your fishtailing dart land straight.

I've never heard that about the length of darts and how they land,I have heard about the release though.....but after seeing both I like the equipment excuse better...I know I throw a perfect dart Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes
I need a dart that is 7' 9 1/4" long ... then I can just stab the triple 20s. Smile
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me ..... I find bliss in my confusion.   

I have been working on a lot of throwing practice and playing with different length stems and various flights. I must just be getting a bit more smooth on my style and throw because this time the stem length changes seemed to work. I ended up using a shorter stem on the dark thunders as they are a fairly long dart in comparison to the TDPs. I think I have also found the sweet spot when holding the dart and slightly adjusted my grip slightly more forward. Darts seem to be flying better without kick...unless my fingers don't want to work on the release lol.