Bulls Jan Dekker 22g darts review
Here is a review of the Bulls (Germany) Jan Dekker Original Steeldarts (in the following ‘Dekker darts') in 22 grams (only available weight).

The only UK shop which sells them at the moment is Total-Darts https://www.total-darts.co.uk/product/ne...darts-set/ for just under 36£.
Most German shops list them for around 48€.

This set was kindly send to me from Embassy Sports (Quote: ‘BULL'S is an international brand of Embassy Sporthandel GmbH Germany’) for this review after a nice conversation; thank you again!

In general the Dekker dart is a slim straight barrel made from 90% tungsten with a very distinct rear scallop.
They were designed straight after the instructions of Jan Dekker, who uses them as his matchdarts.

At the moment there is only one other dart on the market with a similar shape, the Unicorn Evolution Phase 3 Purist (Taylor) https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_in...s_id=48507

[Image: VN2g9Ry.jpg]

Why these darts?

Some may remember that I fell in love with the Adam Smith-Neale darts and converted to the smooth side.
My grip has changed a bit in the meantime and was moving more and more backwards.
The smooth rear scallop looked perfect for me.

Package

The darts come in a slim cardboard box with an inner plastic sleeve and are supplied with a hard plastic Cone case.
This cone case is a very good idea for a secure delivery of the darts, but you will never use it as a real life dart case; it's cheaply made and nearly falls apart opening.

Content:
1 set of Dekker dart barrels
1 set of ringed two-colored medium stems (polycarbonate)
1 set of Jan Dekker 100 micron dart flights
1 Bull’s logo sticker
1 instruction note for the cone case Big Grin

[Image: YiiOzG3.jpg]

[Image: d05L2oV.jpg]

Optics

The eye catching elements are the black laser engraved rings in combination with the rear scallop.
The laser engraved rings are looking nice and the laser logo in the scallop sets another small optical accent. The logo combines the Bulls logo with the signature from Jan Dekker.
The Dekker darts take the term rear scallop literally, the scallop ends where the stem begins.

The nose is rounded but not completely to the points.
Normal black standard points are installed.

I love the included setup of blue to clear stems and the blue flights; the dart looks great as a whole.

[Image: wk4WIUF.jpg]

[Image: HAA9oUY.jpg]

[Image: aUkAvch.jpg]

Dimensions

22g   50.4mm x 6.45mm

The Dekker darts are in the normal dimension range for darts in the 22g weight class and relatively thin.
The data of 50.4mm length and 6.45 mm thickness seems to be correct; my mechanical caliper shows the same.

The barrels are drilled out about 17 mm.
The black points have a 28 mm length and are very thin and needle-sharp.

The rear scallop is smooth, perfectly curved and with a length of around 8 mm relatively narrow so that just the fingertips fit into it.

Weight

Since I upgraded my kitchen scale to a scale with 0.01 grams accuracy enjoy an in-depth weighing section. I had really fun and a good time weighing small objects and came up with a sophisticated test setup.

I weigh the darts three time in different order (1-2-3  2-3-1  3-1-2), reset the scale between each sequence and take the average. This should wield a realistic result without calibrated laboratory instruments and a controlled environment. For every 1/10 gram of difference, I subtract one point from a perfect 10.

A standard stem spring ring weights exactly 0.10 grams; I don’t believe anyone can notice a lost or added spring on the stem in a blind test.

I consider the relative deviation from each other as well as the absolute deviation from the nominal weight. The average value (rounded down) determines the total score.

[Image: Ix2BVaJ.jpg]
The Dekker darts score a perfect 10.

Balance

As expected, the barrel is center weighted.
Here are two photos for the center of gravity without and with shafts and flights.

[Image: FzzEFY3.jpg]
[Image: uQ5tvkv.jpg]

Grip

[Image: ST1jBKD.jpg]

The barrels have a fine grip pattern. It looks like minimal waves alternating with grooves. The pattern is similar to the Harrows Pulse Darts; you can call it a recessed curved or wavy ring grip.

Each ring feels a bit like a very subtle mini scallop with a noticeable stop from the edges.

The grip level is a little bit strange. For the fingers holding the dart, it's an upper medium to high level grip, but not aggressive. It’s a very secure feeling; the dart is guaranteed not to slip through your fingers. The grip still feels comfortable and does not stick to the skin or pinches.
But if you use the middle finger to stabilize the dart near the nose, the grip for this finger turns to a low level. It is too low to give the dart another push impulse with the middle finger.
The grip depends on the angle of the finger (or better the angle of the pressure) on the barrel.

The rear scallop is great as a reference point. If you are a rear gripper, you will find the scallop nice, but your fingers will also touch the ring grip (or the stem).

After playing a little longer with the Dekker darts I noticed something strange.
The warmer the darts got, the more pleasant to touch they became.

As a rear gripper I ended up with my index finger in front of the scallop on the ring grip and just the tip of my thumb in the scallop.

Throwing

The Dekker darts fly straight and true and the balance is very good, especially after I changed the medium stems to extra short shafts.
The release is easy, neither the rear scallop nor the ring grip stick to your fingers.

Obviously Jan Dekker is a rear gripper, but the darts also fly with a middle or front grip very well.
Strangely enough, these are the first darts that didn't feel completely weird for me during some front grip throws.

[Image: 3lvoiG1.jpg]

[Image: zQqyWTG.jpg]

[Image: YoPeXjf.jpg]

[Image: Fm1YkWC.jpg]

Summary

Looks - 7 or 9 - Nice looking barrels; beautiful as a whole.
Grip - 7 - Mid to high level; very comfortable to touch.
Weight Match – 10 - Perfect
Quality - 10 - 90% Tungsten, perfect coloring and processing
Value - 8 - The price is ok for named player darts.
Suitability for me – 8 - For a change more than ok, would prefer them 1-2 grams heavier.

I am a little disappointed by the rear scallop; I thought that the holding fingers would fit completely into it and therefore it would be the optimal grip position. I was wrong.
That's not a fault of the Dekker darts; it won't be any different with every other dart of the same design. Used as a reference point the scallop is still very good.

After I played them for a day I started to like the Dekker darts.
The most positive thing is that the ring grip feels pleasant, especially when they are warmed up.

The Dekker darts are not my Holy Grail darts, but I will use them from time to time.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it!
Great review, thanks Cateye Smile
B: 21g   S: Short   F: Kite   180s: 3
Fantastic review. Thank you
Nice review! Scallops are very personal; no matter how well a scallop looks like it'll work for me I never actually know until I hold the dart.
Thanks for the great review and pics, have already them to the review index Smile
Nice review. Thanks. +1
Liberal heathen
I have to say you didn't leave anything to the imagination. Very complete breakdown with pics to tease us all.
+1
This is a great review and interesting darts. I was searching for a really rear scallop - max hopp were considered - but ultimately modified the unicorn gripper with a rear scallop and micro grip.

The balance on the dekker seems more natural (understandably) so may give them a go, although the small scallop size is a slight concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great review !!!
+ 1
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me ..... I find bliss in my confusion.   

(05-24-2019, 10:49 AM)jt4527 Wrote: Great review, thanks Cateye Smile

(05-24-2019, 11:29 AM)rich345 Wrote: Fantastic review. Thank you

(05-24-2019, 01:05 PM)holmesness Wrote: Nice review!  Scallops are very personal; no matter how well a scallop looks like it'll work for me I never actually know until I hold the dart.

(05-24-2019, 01:28 PM)mc1958 Wrote: Thanks for the great review and pics, have already them to the review index Smile

(05-24-2019, 03:06 PM)cubdog Wrote: Nice review. Thanks. +1

(05-24-2019, 03:17 PM)SlingBlade Wrote: I have to say you didn't leave anything to the imagination. Very complete breakdown with pics to tease us all.
+1

(05-24-2019, 06:26 PM)Pepperami Wrote: This is a great review and interesting darts. I was searching for a really rear scallop - max hopp were considered - but ultimately modified the unicorn gripper with a rear scallop and micro grip.

The balance on the dekker seems more natural (understandably) so may give them a go, although the small scallop size is a slight concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(05-24-2019, 06:49 PM)Borisbbadd Wrote: Great review !!!
+ 1

Thank you all very much for the praise!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bulls reviewed darts index mc1958 10 2,168 05-24-2019, 01:24 PM
Last Post: mc1958
  Bulls Fighter Dolfin 18g darts review Getagrip 20 19,350 05-04-2019, 06:31 AM
Last Post: philliesricky
  Bulls Razor 23g darts review Getagrip 27 50,787 02-23-2019, 12:44 AM
Last Post: Zeffer
  Bulls Mensur Suljovic Black Edition 23g darts review Getagrip 21 8,719 11-29-2018, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Joshtin Pipe
  Bulls Typhoon 23g darts review Getagrip 14 1,512 11-16-2018, 02:13 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Bulls Fighter Hyper Black Phenom 21g darts review Getagrip 11 12,297 10-11-2018, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Akats
  Bulls Fighter and Ultima reviewed darts mc1958 4 1,232 10-10-2018, 03:55 PM
Last Post: mc1958
  Bulls Max Hopp 22g darts review Getagrip 19 9,395 09-27-2018, 12:44 AM
Last Post: vanJupp
  Bulls Fighter Raum 22g Steel Tip darts review Getagrip 12 1,414 08-21-2018, 05:31 PM
Last Post: *Saber*
  Bulls Fighter Gemini 19g darts review soft tip version Getagrip 8 2,978 07-07-2018, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Getagrip