Advice for my throw
Hello dartsnutz, 

at the last practice session with my team I took a video of my throw. This is the link to the video: https://youtu.be/n2tQhuvZa2s

I noticed that my hand flares out to the side of my head a lot. That could be the reason why my darts drift out to the 18's quite often because my brain tries to compensate for this movement.

On the other hand my elbow could be the problem. For my liking it is tucked in too much. I try to copy the throw that Dynamite Dave promotes by the way.

Did anyone has/ had  the same issue and if so, how did you fix it? I'm always thankful for any advice Smile
Practice. Patience. Perfection. - John Lowe
Got a bit similar problem but I'd say more to the depth (thinking a lot about what I shouldn't think of and especially doing things I should not). I think you should hold on to Dave's most important rule: The Stance. Overall, I do not think it is wrong, practice makes the game better.
2019 171s: 2
2019 180s: 7
2019 highest checkout: 151
2019 best leg: 18 darts

It's Ally Pally about the Darts, guys!  Moddarts Moddarts 
Hi,
when you pull back, your hand and arm are no longer perpendicular to the elbow.
Try practicing your throw in front of a mirror.

Your follow through is not is not very strong and consistent.

Furthermore your grip could be unstable; the dart seems to move before the release.
I could be wrong, difficult to see in the video.

That's what I noticed, I hope these are ideas you could work on.
Thanks for the fast replys Smile

I will definitely try to use the advice you gave me and see if it helps with getting a more consistent throw Smile fortunately the season is over now and I've got a lot of time to try things out
On your pull back, you bend your wrist back a bit too much IMO.
Work a slow throw, smooth and true release. Once your release gets better, the rest will fall into place.
All of your focus should be on the target though.
When you start thinking of mechanics etc, the whole thing can go to crapola.
Any reasonable foundation should be enough.
Here are my thoughts....

The good bits are that you have a pretty solid stance and good upright posture. You stay fairly steady throughout with a slight sway to the right (as we look at the video) on the pullback. I'd agree with your analysis that your elbow is too tucked in. I would guess this is a result of your dart alignment at address. It looks as if the dart is directly in alignment between your dominant eye and target at address? I.e. You look down the dart? However in order to be mechanically correct for a straight throw that would mean your dart should be directly in line with your eye line on the pullback, which it's not. This means that the throw doesn't remain in the same plane throughout and so could lead to inconsistency. Having seen Dynamite Dave's videos in the past my guess would be that he would recommend bringing the dart out of your direct eye line at address which would then allow you to bring the dart back to the same end point of your pullback currently (around in line with your ear) remaining in plane with the target throughout. I've been working through a similar issue for the last 6 months and am seeing some improvement. This is however a fairly significant change to your throw and will likely cause a slump in performance before any improvement so is a difficult change to make. There doesn't seem to be any real consensus on whether it's best to sight down the dart or throw from outside of the eye line, as you will see if you search on this forum. Equally professionals have been successful with both types of throw.
Wish I knew more about the throw but this last post seems spot on from my take. It does appear that just before releasing you pull to your left to keep the dart in line. Agree that the better option would be to move the dart before release to the left to avoid moving your head to the left. That'll give your body less movement.
Tough making small adjustments but worth the effort.
(05-25-2019, 10:36 AM)5or1 Wrote: Here are my thoughts....

The good bits are that you have a pretty solid stance and good upright posture. You stay fairly steady throughout with a slight sway to the right (as we look at the video) on the pullback. I'd agree with your analysis that your elbow is too tucked in. I would guess this is a result of your dart alignment at address. It looks as if the dart is directly in alignment between your dominant eye and target at address? I.e. You look down the dart? However in order to be mechanically correct for a straight throw that would mean your dart should be directly in line with your eye line on the pullback, which it's not. This means that the throw doesn't remain in the same plane throughout and so could lead to inconsistency. Having seen Dynamite Dave's videos in the past my guess would be that he would recommend bringing the dart out of your direct eye line at address which would then allow you to bring the dart back to the same end point of your pullback currently (around in line with your ear) remaining in plane with the target throughout. I've been working through a similar issue for the last 6 months and am seeing some improvement. This is however a fairly significant change to your throw and will likely cause a slump in performance before any improvement so is a difficult change to make. There doesn't seem to be any real consensus on whether it's best to sight down the dart or throw from outside of the eye line, as you will see if you search on this forum. Equally professionals have been successful with both types of throw.
First of all, thanks for taking your time and writing such a long and helpful response Smile

When I set the dart up it is in line with the target but at the same time blocks it completely Big Grin after posting this thread I tried to get it out of my sighting line and strayed a lot into the 5's. But this is actually something I expected to happen. It feels alien as well but that is always the case when you change even the tiniest but in your throw. Changing the elbow position and where you set your dart is a major change of course!

I will try to get used to it and see how it goes until the new season starts in a few months. Sometimes the old habit of putting the dart in line with my dominant eye comes back and I have to do a ''Duzza'', just not vertically but horizontally Big Grin
No problem, I hope it helps. You're right, even small changes feel huge sometimes so it's always useful to record yourself and see how it really looks. I've found that by taking the dart out of my eye line i now find myself focussing on the target rather than aiming and have generally been improving over the last 6 months.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cant find a throw or grip that feels right, need advice Liam Twigg 7 581 04-24-2018, 01:27 PM
Last Post: dj_stat8
  developed a bad habit with throw need some advice gunner88 4 659 04-15-2017, 01:00 AM
Last Post: barcrusher
  Advice on darts and throw please :) ross.e 3 597 01-06-2017, 07:31 PM
Last Post: ross.e
  My Throw advice appreciated:) smithshane05 11 1,229 11-24-2016, 03:09 PM
Last Post: Great White North
  Struggling with my throw and need outside advice. watsontotty 10 1,446 05-16-2016, 08:59 PM
Last Post: watsontotty
  advice on my throw please guys. Lee Taylor 11 2,206 07-15-2015, 05:32 AM
Last Post: BigE
  Advice on my throw LionCityDarter 24 4,447 12-25-2014, 06:03 AM
Last Post: Regulatori