Winmau point size
Do winmau use a different width point than the rest. I was repointing earlier with replacement designa points and the point was so loose it came off with my hand. So had to put my. Scratched and pitted points back on. These were the hi impact I got from Argos a year ago. So...what do i do. Even the points that were in there came out easily enough compared to other darts I've ré pointed before.
(05-20-2019, 08:09 PM)GONKO Wrote: Do winmau use a different width point than the rest. I was repointing earlier with replacement designa points and the point was so loose it came off with my hand. So had to put my. Scratched and pitted points back on. These were the hi impact I got from Argos a year ago. So...what do i do. Even the points that were in there came out easily enough compared to other darts I've ré pointed before.
I have found that Red Dragon and Bulls points are very slightly thicker and seem to fit most darts.
[Image: GEpKdcf.png] 
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
20 gram Darts Clearance, Harrows super grip fusion stems, Rapide flights with Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average                 

(05-20-2019, 08:15 PM)ChrisTheFish\ Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 08:09 PM)GONKO Wrote: Do winmau use a different width point than the rest. I was repointing earlier with replacement designa points and the point was so loose it came off with my hand. So had to put my. Scratched and pitted points back on. These were the hi impact I got from Argos a year ago. So...what do i do. Even the points that were in there came out easily enough compared to other darts I've ré pointed before.
I have found that Red Dragon and Bulls points are very slightly thicker and seem to fit most darts.

If they are loose, just put a dab of super glue on them before you insert them.  Have had to do it a few times and they always hold great that way.
I've used Blue Locktite a few times now and it seems to work.
I've repointed many of my sets of darts and haven't found a clear pattern that any particular brand of dart is narrower/wider than another. The one consistency is Voks points are known to be ever so slightly smaller than other brands (per someone with more knowledge than me on the subject).
Definitely Loctite, not superglue. Loctite holds up to impacts better and the points are easier to remove.
Would agree red dragon are slightly wider . My thorntons would never hold another brand of point on their own accord.
Throwing 23g viking raiders 
I ran into the same issue quite awhile back and measured the thickness of several points with calipers.  If I remember correctly, on most brands the points I measured were 2.34-2.35mm but Red Dragon and Winmau were measuring 2.39-2.40mm.  That doesn't seems like much but it's definitely enough to make a difference in a loose point and a tight fitting one.  Hope this helps.
- Red

Current Favorite:
Unicorn James Wade Phase 1 (20g)---Short Nylon/Poly Shafts---Marathon/No.6 Shape Flights  

Board:
Winmau Blade 5
Nice one Red! Good to know...
(05-21-2019, 03:54 PM)Red Wrote: I ran into the same issue quite awhile back and measured the thickness of several points with calipers.  If I remember correctly, on most brands the points I measured were 2.34-2.35mm but Red Dragon and Winmau were measuring 2.39-2.40mm.  That doesn't seems like much but it's definitely enough to make a difference in a loose point and a tight fitting one.  Hope this helps.

That's very good info.
I've ordered some winmau points today (among other things lol).
I've storm points on at the moment but will keep loctite in mind if they come loose
HI guys,

Just to confirm that Winmau uses standard point sizes - the same spec as we have been using for decades.

Worth noting that the 2 darts mentioned above are both 95% tungsten.

95% material is inherently harder than lower density material and tends to have less memory i.e. once it has 'opened' up to the point diameter being pressed in the hole tends to not to close back up. The tolerances we are talking about are very small, Loctite retaining compound works best when this happens.

Cheers,

Lee

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gary Anderson flight size JannerinCardiff 2 293 06-07-2019, 07:39 PM
Last Post: elevendarter
  Dartboard size Krafty 5 594 12-01-2017, 02:34 AM
Last Post: Doubledouble
  Dart size Carpy 1 569 08-10-2017, 03:35 PM
Last Post: joeriw96
  Tap size for No 5 Jacob Schaeffer 5 1,242 05-09-2017, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Ancient Darter
  The Winmau BDDA "Road to the Winmau Tour" 2017 Wazza 5 1,660 01-26-2017, 01:33 PM
Last Post: mc1958
  Dart shaft thread size? Ob1kunubby 6 8,813 01-21-2016, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Little al
  DARTS BOX SIZE /COLOUR AND PATERN notjimpike 12 2,880 10-11-2015, 07:14 PM
Last Post: mc1958
  What size shafts do the pros use? Titan 9 7,190 09-04-2015, 12:14 AM
Last Post: rich345