dartboard life expectancy
Hi,
   What is the average life expectancy for a dartboard, assuming I practice every day for about an hour using darts with a standard silver or black point?

I set up a new Winmau Blade 5 dartboard last September and practiced maybe 5 days a week for about 30-60 minutes each time. However, after about a 6-8 months, it is totally ruined. It now has three quite large bulges. Every couple months a mound would form just above the treble-20. I would then rotate the board but then another one would form a couple months later.

Is this normal?

Thanks,
George
All depends on the usage.
Not normal in my experience, but your problem sounds related to the position of the board.  What kind of lights are you using and how close?
You should also rotate the board more regularly than every couple of months - rotate it at least once a week to get even usage all round the board.

Also it sounds like you may be just pounding the 20's if it is only happening just above the T20 each time - vary your practice using some of the routines in here.
(05-20-2019, 04:21 AM)nixer55 Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
My dartboard is in my finished basement and I do not have any lights near it.
(05-20-2019, 04:37 AM)mc1958 Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
Oh, I did not realize I should rotate it that often. You are right, though. I have been spending alot of time on the T20s.   Smile

I am just a bit surprised because I expected to get years of use out of it.
(05-20-2019, 04:06 AM)*Saber* Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
I don't consider myself a heavy user. I wonder how long a dartboard would last for a professional dart player who plays several hours every day.
Also, give this thread a read,  boards haven't changed much since this poll:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=27865

I dare say mc1958 has hit the mark, which explains why the problem follows the 20 segment.  Manufacturers recommend rotation after 2-3 hours of continuous play.  But concentrating on one segment would throw that out the window.
(05-20-2019, 01:21 PM)nixer55 Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
Thanks for sharing this informative thread. It looks like I am not alone because roughly 40% of the people who responded in the survey said their board lasted less than 6 months or 1 year.

I am going to pick up a new board and from now on, I will rotate it after a few hours of play.
I voted <2 years and that's pretty much what I still think. I'd be happy if my current dartboard lasts a year and a half. looking good so far. I rotate it regularly, kind of. Actualy, it's just 6 months since I have put it on the wall and I've rotated it 11 times. I know because I've got it at the original position now again.
My board is 3 + years, and still in pretty good shape.
I rotate it every couple of days, and sometimes when nobody's looking, I use the white sections for 20s.
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me ..... I find bliss in my confusion.   

(05-20-2019, 06:33 PM)Borisbbadd Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
jawdrop
B: 22g   S: Short   F: Shape   180s: 7/25
Lol Lol Lol
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me ..... I find bliss in my confusion.   

(05-20-2019, 06:33 PM)Borisbbadd Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
And so do some of the members of the 3 year club in the poll I linked earlier.  But won't name names! Tongue

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=27865
I had a Nodoor board that must've lasted a decade. The playing surface was still in pretty good knick, but the white segments had turned beige. Gave it to a new player on the team that didn't have a board. Never heard a word back from him, maybe he decided to get a new board.

Now I have two DMC Bandits, a standard and a practice board, both staple free. The practice board is usually for off-season... uh, practice. I don't tend to pound 20s and bulls. Each gets their own. Rotate each board at reasonable intervals.

SPACE FOR RENT