Math trick for noobies
I don't think I've put this up before (looked but didn't see it) and I hope this doesn't cause an uproar.
I have played darts for about 3 1/2 years total...2 years in the early 90's and started back up again Jan 2018....about a year of that being soft tip. I'm terrible at math and worse when pressured but I still have learned some outs and have them committed to memory. But a lot of them I just don't know. So.....I use this trick or method to help me out and hopefully it may help someone else until they have learned the outs.
So here's my method....it works better when looking at the dart board.
Take whatever number your on.....say 73.
Take away 60.....the highest one dart score or trip 20
That leaves 13.....not an out
Now add 3 to 13.....the next highest score or trip 19
That gives you 16...a great out
So your shot is trip 19-double 8
That's it...the whole method....you just keep adding 3 until you get your double. Like I said,,,it helps if your looking at the board because you just look at the numbers as you add.....
Another example.....say...87.....take away 60 equals 27,not an out....add 3 (T19) is 30,an out but better to be had,.. add 3 (T18) is 33,nope... add 3 (T17) is 36, ahh a good one.......your shot is T17, D18.
It sounds confusing but it's really not...like I said..I am terrible at math and I can do it. Now this doesn't use the DB or gives you the BEST out shot at times..but it will give you a out. This is meant to help shooters like me to help in a pinch when you need it...it's not meant to replace learning your outs....just helps until you do.
If this helps at least one person it's worth it.......shoot well all and have fun! Big Grin
That's exactly what I do, when I can't remember the out shot Big Grin obviously helps when the opponent plays a bit slower and gives you more time to think
Practice. Patience. Perfection. - John Lowe
(05-19-2019, 07:40 PM)Stefan Gusko Wrote: That's exactly what I do, when I can't remember the out shot Big Grin obviously helps when the opponent plays a bit slower and gives you more time to think
Well at least know I know I'm not crazy.....my wife..the mathematician thinks I am for using it.....
I can do the first part pretty quick..it's figuring the second shot, missing the trip and hitting the single, that take a little time....
Luck and shoot well Stefan!
To be honest, I think that the best idea how to learn outs is to practice them. If you're going to play Catch 40 or 170 Double Out on a daily bases, you'll get it under your skin. Take a few of the checkout cards, go through them and try to learn what the logic is (logic is to get to doubles like D20, D16, D12 or D18 in most cases). Then choose your own routes (leading either to D16 or to D20) and start practicing. No apps suggesting what's your rest, no calculators. You have to be able to substract your first dart asap in your head so that you could focus on another dart. At the beggining you may look what the route should be. After a while it'll become a routine and you won't need to check it all the time.

If you don't know what the games mentioned above are, 170 DO is the same like 501DO. Difference is, you can finish it in three darts and you have to count all the time because you need to know what you exact score is.

The Catch 40 is a game that aims at finishing scores from 61 to 100. Thing is you only have six darts at each score so that you won't get stuck on one score for an hour. You will be learning the outs from the smallest scores. Well, you can start on 41 but I don't think it's worth it. Starting from 61 as Catch 40 does is good enough. And you get to 40's with your first two darts anyway.

BTW, learning the outs above 100 is the easier part. Firstly you have to learn the outs from 60 downwards. I know many players who have to think half a minute if they get to simple scores like 46 or 53, not talking about 69 and higher. I bet they've never practiced outs though. Even though they've been playing darts for years. They're just too lazy to think about the game.
And if you're not into the structured practice then just step at the oche and go finishing 41, using as many darts you need. Once you do that, go and finish 42. Then 43 etc. Once you finish all scores up to 100 go back to 41 and repeat it again. I bet that after a few rounds (could take weeks) you will know your outs perfectly.
(05-20-2019, 05:00 PM)elevendarter Wrote: And if you're not into the structured practice then just step at the oche and go finishing 41, using as many darts you need. Once you do that, go and finish 42. Then 43 etc. Once you finish all scores up to 100 go back to 41 and repeat it again. I bet that after a few rounds (could take weeks) you will know your outs perfectly.

I agree you have to learn the outs....but until I do...this helps.....and the simple numbers do freeze me under pressure....not only do I suck at math...but my memory is the worst....really have to beat it into my head to stick...lol....we're getting there...just takes time. Smile
Yeah, it needs a bit of time. I barely need to count these days. It's just sometimes when I hit something really odd when I need to re-count what has just happened. Mostly its just natural for me to know what my score is.

Imagine you have a score 20 and you hit 10 with your first dart. Do you need to "count" what the rest is or do you just know it's 10? The same it is for me with other numbers. If I have 73 and I hit 19 with my first dart then I don't need to count what the score is. I know it's 54. The same with all other numbers.

The only situation that may surprise me at the dartboard, is to repeatedly find out that there's really a lot of ways how to throw 26 .-)
(05-20-2019, 06:55 PM)elevendarter Wrote: Yeah, it needs a bit of time. I barely need to count these days. It's just sometimes when I hit something really odd when I need to re-count what has just happened. Mostly its just natural for me to know what my score is.

Imagine you have a score 20 and you hit 10 with your first dart. Do you need to "count" what the rest is or do you just know it's 10? The same it is for me with other numbers. If I have 73 and I hit 19 with my first dart then I don't need to count what the score is. I know it's 54. The same with all other numbers.

The only situation that may surprise me at the dartboard, is to repeatedly find out that there's really a lot of ways how to throw 26 .-)

LOL
I do believe 26 is an infinite number.....as opposed to finite.....sadly and bittersweet is the knowledge thereof.
[Image: bIcnxOK.png]
(05-21-2019, 04:34 AM)Cat Wrote: I do believe 26 is an infinite number.....as opposed to finite.....sadly and bittersweet is the knowledge thereof.

Made my dart heart flutter......lol

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Trick Rob22 11 3,089 05-21-2015, 05:39 PM
Last Post: guest2
  Trying the Broken Storm Vinegar Trick Dart Snob 33 8,661 04-11-2015, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Fred-180