elbow
hello nutz
any training tip for keeping the elbow still and level during the throw would be greatly appreciated !
22GR WOLFIES
22GR J WADE PHASE 1
23GR MVG ORIGINALS
shot! 9ti2 22gr/ clic shaft tweeny
target rvb 95 23gr/ original setup
winmau sub-zero torpedo 23 gr/ clic shaft tweeny
harrows fire tapered 22 gr/ clic shaft tweeny
harrows ice 22g
winmau stratos 24gr shark grip/ original setup
daytonas soft tip front weighted 20g
target carrera soft tip 20g
power 80 20g soft tip
phase 5 24g
and lots of designas
Hi,
a common misconception is that the elbow must not move at all.
It should never sink down during the throw, but with the follow through the elbow goes up.

Here'a a very good read:
http://www.dartbase.com/technics.htm
(05-16-2019, 12:24 PM)Cateye Wrote: Hi,
It should never sink down during the throw, but with the follow through the elbow goes up.

Here'a a very good read:

This/\     I know when I fully extend my arm during my follow through, my elbow tends to rise a bit.    I think the whole "Keep the elbow level" thing is meant from the time you set up to throw and all the way TO the beginning of your follow through.

I love watching other players and how they throw and see so many things that could be changed to make their throw more consistent.    Some of the things I notice that are not part of a good throwing motion are:

The chopper-----they bring the dart back and on the forward stroke, seem to stop about 3/4 of the way through and not a lick of follow through.

The boomerang----these types kill me and they will never be consistent.    They seem to have a nice "take back" preparing to release the dart, start their forward motion and about midway on their stroke as the dart is released their arm snaps back toward their shoulder like there was some sort of recoil involved.

The floater-----Most of the motion looks good except you'd think they were throwing free throws in a basketball game the way the put such an arc on the dart toward the board, often with just enough force to reach the board surface, but not enough force to guarantee the dart will stick, and if they do, the tail of the dart is at a 60+ degree to the face of the board and barely holding in the sisal.

The across the body thrower-----There are 2 guys in league I've seen do this, both right handed that take the dart back below their chin and the back of the flight almost touches their left collar bone.   So, instead of their forearm being straight up and down during their stroke, it is just short of parallel to the floor and they are tossing forward and across their body on release.  When their darts stick in the board, the tails of the darts are a good 2+ inches angled to the left side of the board.  So, if they hit the D-4 with the point, the flight is across the T-4 bed.

Then there's the hoppers-----They look solid at the line, their arm is in great position at the outset of their throw, their concentration is intense then it all goes to hell when they bring the dart back and simultaneously bend at the knee and put a little hop on release-----sometimes with so much force they actually cross the oche at times just after release.
gumbo2176
(05-16-2019, 12:24 PM)Cateye Wrote: Hi,

Here'a a very good read:

totally agree
what i meant is that the elbow is still during the first phase of the throw ( between cheek and release point) then of course it jumps!
22GR WOLFIES
22GR J WADE PHASE 1
23GR MVG ORIGINALS
shot! 9ti2 22gr/ clic shaft tweeny
target rvb 95 23gr/ original setup
winmau sub-zero torpedo 23 gr/ clic shaft tweeny
harrows fire tapered 22 gr/ clic shaft tweeny
harrows ice 22g
winmau stratos 24gr shark grip/ original setup
daytonas soft tip front weighted 20g
target carrera soft tip 20g
power 80 20g soft tip
phase 5 24g
and lots of designas

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Get that elbow up(please explain) Troll 19 2,877 05-16-2019, 03:58 PM
Last Post: jt4527
  Throwing problems/elbow Daniel 3 453 10-03-2018, 10:51 PM
Last Post: Daniel
  Elbow becoming a mental problem Carpy 2 297 09-03-2018, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Carpy
  Elbow Position in Relation To 15 and 16 a88pec 4 361 08-25-2018, 09:21 PM
Last Post: gumbo2176
  elbow up? Spike Adams 6 632 07-08-2018, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Devil 10
  Can’t align elbow and shoulder? Johnny99DT 7 606 05-31-2018, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Johnny99DT
Exclamation Elbow drop, about to give the game up Tom Moon 21 4,022 06-06-2017, 03:30 AM
Last Post: alexrs21
  Difficulty keeping elbow angle Chris LaForm 3 532 02-12-2017, 04:14 AM
Last Post: Chris LaForm
  Elbow pit Troll 6 793 01-24-2017, 07:38 AM
Last Post: kungfuron
  Trouble with elbow and wrist Chris LaForm 4 655 01-19-2017, 07:12 AM
Last Post: Chris LaForm