Recalibration
So throw my second preferred set of darts to recalibrate on my main set. End up throwing a 180 with them and they feel decent. McKicks mvg jobbies.
Then switched back to my daytona fire darts and throw 140,121,140,125.

Does anyone else ever find throwing another set of darts for 5 mins can recalibrate you on your main set, if your a little off target mid session?
I used to believe switching darts was a very bad thing to do.  And for some, it might well be.  Much depends on the how and why. 

Now I do it quite often, and use different darts for different reasons.  Started switching to a bullet from a straight dart to sort through grip / release issues.  Then I discovered other darts could help with wrist break / follow through problems. TBH, the largest root cause is over-thinking.  Changing darts occasionally gets my mind off these things, and pretty soon I can return to my match darts feeling more confident.  I feel better, the darts feel better - so they are better.

Anything that gets your mind away from over thinking is a good thing IMO.  But how you do that will vary between players, so impossible to find a universal solution.  But a good observation I believe.  And justifies buying more darts! Tongue

cheers
Hey, if it works for you, then by all means continue on, but that is not a recipe that all players can enjoy. I know it would not work for me as I've tried to do this in the past and it really didn't help. If I'm throwing crap darts, it doesn't matter what dart I am holding in my hand, the results are consistent.
gumbo2176
(05-08-2019, 09:17 PM)nixer55 Wrote: I used to believe switching darts was a very bad thing to do.  And for some, it might well be.  Much depends on the how and why. 

Now I do it quite often, and use different darts for different reasons.  Started switching to a bullet from a straight dart to sort through grip / release issues.  Then I discovered other darts could help with wrist break / follow through problems. TBH, the largest root cause is over-thinking.  Changing darts occasionally gets my mind off these things, and pretty soon I can return to my match darts feeling more confident.  I feel better, the darts feel better - so they are better.

Anything that gets your mind away from over thinking is a good thing IMO.  But how you do that will vary between players, so impossible to find a universal solution.  But a good observation I believe.  And justifies buying more darts! Tongue

cheers

I share Nixer’s perspective. Especially the justification for more darts.   Wink
Yes, I'm doing it quite often, when I don't feel the throw is right. Starting with random set, then another and so on, until found a set, that feels nice at the moment. Sometimes I'd go back to the previous set, sometimes stick with the new set. But I don't really try to get any particular results, just playing for fun.
I definitely find this, I have half a dozen sets I feel I can throw equally well (or equally mediocre may be more accurate) and if I'm struggling with my usual set I switch to another and almost always have an instant improvement, and when I go back to my old set the bad patch is usually over.

The darts I get on with all have different grips, width, shape - Shot Berserkers and Makoto, RD Dragonfly 3, Cosmo Cyclones, Showtime Vortex, Carrera Azzurri AZ01 and Bulls 501 pyramid grip.
Monster Helios 3 22g
Short black L Style carbon silent stems 
Black shape L Style flights 
Gold champagne caps 
I've found that throwing with a lighter set can sometimes help me self correct, so when I switch back to a heavier set I'm more consistent. I also like throwing mixed up sets of different weights, shafts, grips. It's funny to me how accurate I can be with three totally different darts. If I'm making good throws, what I'm throwing with doesn't matter so much. A good throw is a good throw.
For me the best way to recalibrate is to walk away from the board. If after an hour I come back and still don't feel the darts I'll try and work through it. Some times a basic flight school session of A1 will do it.
I have about 6 sets hung on a board that I'll throw, just if the mood hits me. But usually, lately, one set rules the roost and I'll grab them immediately. Lim G2's if you're curious.
I also find that a lighter set of darts will help me get back the feel but luckily I've been ok with what I have to work with to enjoy the feel.
Since I started 5.5 years ago, I have made a point to practice with anything that would stick in the board. I have made darts out of plastic straws with cork board push pins for a point. I have perfected making darts out of two post-it notes with steel points installed. I love to practice with my Unicorn <1g Golden Match darts, (fun to beat people with darts so small they can't even see). I practice with my 8g, 12g, and all the way up to 26g darts. When I lose my throw, I practice with my wooden widdy darts with the turkey feather flights. This seems to help reset my motion.

I know some say you should only practice with one set. I have proven to myself over all this time that the darts do not throw themselves. It is all one me. I have thrown crappy with them all, and have shot the lights out with them all.

Now, I never blame the darts or feel insecure about which darts I have chosen to throw in competition. When I play out at the sports bars, I stick with one set and don't switch, whichever set I have been practicing with most at the time, and I never find myself second guessing my choice. I take full responsibility for my performance.

I know I have championed light darts in the past, but the last two years I have become most comfortable at 24g. I have several sets that work fine. But when I go out to compete I seem to gravitate to my 24g Unicorn phase 2s. If I have been struggling with my throw, I might throw my 20g or 22g McCoys. Whatever I chose, I stick with the same darts during competition.
[Image: BJ8F7UG.png]

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...