unicorn

Embedding Pictures in a Post
How to Embed Pictures in a Post with Direct Links

Update - Aug. 2021  The open source project the Forum uses has changed the size parameters of the insert image button.  You need both width and height.  You can still do it manually by using View Source.  Like this:
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Make sure you read this guide and understand changing the width and height *doesn't* make the pic smaller in physical size!

End Update

Sometimes we have a picture we want to share, but the site doesn't supply suitable 'share links' you can copy.  We've talked about this before in other Guides, but the technique can work stand alone as well.

If you have a direct link - i.e. can open just the picture in a new browser tab - no problem!  Of course you could always post the link, but then members have to click to follow.  And some folks would rather not.  Plus a picture's worth a thousand links! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Here's what you can do.  Copy the link URL from your browser address bar, then go to the post you want to embed the pic.  Make sure you're in the main editor, not Quick reply.  You go to the main editor by default when you reply to a thread using 'New Reply'.  The main editor looks like the screenshot below.

Use the circled "Insert Image" button and paste your link into the URL box shown.  Add settings for width and height for a better 'fit' in the post.  300-600 is a good starting point, but you'll have to experiment to find your best options.  You only have to enter the width.  The forum software will auto-calc the height.  Also make sure "show source" is toggled off, or you'll not get the same dialogue.  The 'show source' button is far right, bottom toolbar.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

When you're ready, insert the image, and hit the Post or Preview button.  Of course there're exceptons to this guide - Google Drive and Google Photos come to mind.  But we have a FAQ for that too! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Edit May 2020:  If the picture doesn't appear, trying adding without the optional width and height values entered.
If anyone's having a problem with this technique, post a link and we'll figure it out! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Another example for you.  This is a Facebook image from the DNF Facebook page embedded.  So we can share these without logging on to FB.  IF the source FB account is not restricted in some manner.  How long it'll remain available is another story, and out of our control:

Update:  Seems the Facebook pic is gone.  One of the drawbacks of a social media link. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

So how did I get this?  Well I went on Facebook, selected a picture, and opened just the picture in a new tab.  Then copied the link from my browser address bar.  Started this post and pasted that link in the "Insert Image" dialogue documented in the guide. Make sure you get the full link.

Here's what the post looks like when 'show source'  is on.  See arrow in screenshot.  All 'show source' means is the actual code that's rendered to produce the post.  This is processed by the forum's software - then the host web server. Your browser reads and interprets this code - and presto - you're looking at a picture!  What could go wrong! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

oh sweet information!! never knew how to do that
In this post, I'll expand on the aspect ratio stuff I mention in the guide.  When you open an image in a new tab, most browsers will show the resolution on the tab label.  Like this:

The info we're after is the "2160 X 3840".  This is the native resolution of the picture as uploaded. This would make a very large picture, so I'll reduce the width to 216 - to keep things simple!  The forum will calculate the height automatically, so at this point you can just hit "Insert" without further input:

The result fits neatly in the post:

Of course you might want it larger, so you'll have to play with the values.  But illustrates the concept. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Updated:  Edited for wzywg's input on auto-calc of aspect ratio. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I recognise those darts Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

B: 23g    S: Medium    F: Kite    180s: 2/13
(05-16-2019, 03:59 PM)jt4527 Wrote: I recognise those darts Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

lol - shameless use of your post.  Hopefully the darts won't be yours for long though! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Pro tip: There's no need to calculate the aspect ratio to change the image size. Just input the width OR the height and the code maintains the proper aspect ratio and figures it out the other value for you.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Admin edit 2022: This is no longer true.
(05-16-2019, 05:51 PM)wzywg Wrote: Pro tip: There's no need to calculate the aspect ratio to change the image size. Just input the width OR the height and the code maintains the proper aspect ratio and figures it out the other value for you.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Good tip, wasn't sure that was true via the image dialogue.  But appears to be so.

Edit:  Updated post accordingly. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I have tried numerous times today with little success, the pics are not in a browser they are on my desktop therefore no URL.
I did manage to get one to work but have no idea what I did....age must be kicking in Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

can anyone enlighten this old fool?
(09-11-2019, 11:22 AM)John Brown Wrote: I have tried numerous times today with little success, the pics are not in a browser they are on my desktop therefore no URL.
I did manage to get one to work but have no idea what I did....age must be kicking in Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Here's a link to the forum guides:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=33726

It sounds like you are doing no 10.  If so then it may be some of the pictures you are trying to upload from your pc are larger than the forum software allows.  If this is the case then it may be worth trying Imgur as a better option - see the video in no 4 - it's dead easy to set up an account and upload your pictures there, it's what I use now.
(09-11-2019, 11:31 AM)mc1958 Wrote:
(09-11-2019, 11:22 AM)John Brown Wrote: I have tried numerous times today with little success, the pics are not in a browser they are on my desktop therefore no URL.

Here's a link to the forum guides:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=33726

It sounds like you are doing no 10.  If so then it may be some of the pictures you are trying to upload from your pc are larger than the forum software allows.  If this is the case then it may be worth trying Imgur as a better option - see the video in no 4 - it's dead easy to set up an account and upload your pictures there, it's what I use now.

the pics are only 48kb
If they are that small then not sure what the issue could be if you are following no 10 in the link I posted
(05-04-2019, 05:03 PM)nixer55 Wrote: Another example for you.  This is a Facebook image from the DNF Facebook page embedded.  So we can share these without logging on to FB.  IF the source FB account is not restricted in some manner.  How long it'll remain available is another story, and out of our control:

Update:  Seems the Facebook pic is gone.  One of the drawbacks of a social media link. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Snip, snip

Update: We find more and more Facebook direct links not working on the forum.  This is due to a "URL expiration" by Facebook.  Nothing we can do about it - so we DO NOT recommend you share Facebook pictures in this manner.  They'll stop working after a while.

HOWDY - may I try?!!

Under the text box (when you are posting on a thread) you will find a blue bar, just under that bar "left click" Browse.

A new box will open, showing everything you have on your desktop, scroll down and select the picture you want to appear in your post, (pre named by you), left click it, then in the bottom right of that box is a little button outlined in blue, left click "OPEN".

The box will disappear, and in the window of the reply page (under the bold blue line) there is a little window to the left of the "Browse" button, an address will appear, something like this; C:\Users\John Brown\Desktop\name of the image, picture.

The look to far right of the browse button, find a button named "Add Attachment", left click that button.

The whole Reply Screen will refresh [if the picture is not the right file type, a message will appear in a long yellow box telling you that the picture will not post] start all this over again and choose another picture - BUT, if your picture is the right file type, when you press the "Add Attachment" the page will refresh - and the box you have been working with will have changed, adding more buttons to far right hand side - left click the button that is named "Insert Into Post".

A bracketed text will appear in your reply text box one like this; [attachment=XXXXX] - the "X's represent numerals - this bracketed text is your picture - move it around where you want your picture - usually it will appear were your cursor was in the reply text box.

Left click the "Post Reply" button, and SHA-ZAM  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  your picture will appear in your post on the board.

Hope this helps, John, you can do it, no doubt!     Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 

If I have missed a step, maybe a Mod can correct me - thanks to them to!

Let er rip, John! Lord Bless!!

EDIT; OH, I see the Mods have already beat me to it - sorry, I type slooooooow -  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to post pictures using a smartphone nixer55 1 154 04-18-2021, 12:51 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  DropZone! Drag 'n' Drop Pictures! nixer55 27 2,090 03-01-2021, 09:06 PM
  Photobucket pictures nixer55 0 263 04-03-2020, 01:59 PM
  Posting Pictures with an iPad nixer55 0 300 02-24-2020, 02:37 PM
  How to post pictures on the Dartsnutz forum (PC + Mobile) joeriw96 11 2,686 02-23-2020, 05:01 PM
  Posting Imgur Pictures - Quick PC version nixer55 0 463 02-04-2020, 03:28 PM
  Large Pictures with Tapatalk BIGGINGE666 12 726 01-17-2020, 04:23 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Posting pictures - iPads nixer55 1 390 10-14-2019, 12:36 AM
  Embed pictures using Google Photo nixer55 2 940 07-17-2019, 02:07 PM
  How to remove Pictures on Tapatalk Crusher17 11 3,470 05-27-2019, 02:02 PM