Repointing with drill press
Not sure what happened with my prior response but it went like this:

I've replaced many points over the years and now just use a rivet gun since I have so many tools at my disposal, including a drill press, which I've NEVER thought about using for this task.

Before I acquired all the tools I have, I would simply put my dart barrels on a burner on my gas stove and slightly heat them up to break the bond between the barrel and point. Then I'd take 2 pairs of pliers, grab the point with one pair and wrap the barrel with a bit of cloth to not mar it and grip it with the other pair of pliers. The points would pull out with no problem.

To install the new points, I'd put just a small drop of Super Glue in the hole of the barrel and get the point started. Then, I'd use either a copper or brass hammer to set the point all the way in the barrel. The alloys of the hammer were softer than the points so they would not be harmed. Then I'd roll the dart across a flat surface to make sure they points were in line with the barrel and be done with it. If, for some reason the points were not in line, I'd pull them out and re-set them. This rarely happened and the points would be good and straight.
Hey Gumbo2176 how would you get the points at the same depth doing that with a hammer? Impressive way to do it and cost effective as well.
Thanks for the tips on alternative ways to repoint.

This evening I managed to remove and then reinstall a point from brass dart that I had lying around with no problems at all using the method described in my earlier post as a trial to prove the method. In the next few days I'll try with some old tungsten darts that I have that desperately need new points.

One potential issue that I've thought about is the possibility of the chuck coming off when attempting to remove the point. Reading online this type of drill press's chuck is press fitted in with a slight taper and not fixed by any other means. I've no idea about the force required to remove it in this fashion though. Even if It can't be used to remove the point reliably it may useful to insert the points after removal with a river gun as suggested above.
(04-15-2019, 09:47 PM)SlingBlade Wrote: Hey Gumbo2176 how would you get the points at the same depth doing that with a hammer? Impressive way to do it and cost effective as well.

I used the copper or brass hammer to seat them as far as they would go in.  If the points were of varying lengths afterwards, I'd simply take them down a bit with a grinder and then put the edge back on the point with a file or sharpening stone.

Not that I believe points need to be sharp as I rather them a bit rounded and more concerned with roughing up the exterior of the points for better grip in the board.
(04-15-2019, 09:48 PM)5or1 Wrote: Thanks for the tips on alternative ways to repoint.

This evening I managed to remove and then reinstall a point from brass dart that I had lying around with no problems at all using the method described in my earlier post as a trial to prove the method. In the next few days I'll try with some old tungsten darts that I have that desperately need new points.

One potential issue that I've thought about is the possibility of the chuck coming off when attempting to remove the point. Reading online this type of drill press's chuck is press fitted in with a slight taper and not fixed by any other means. I've no idea about the force required to remove it in this fashion though. Even if It can't be used to remove the point reliably it may useful to insert the points after removal with a river gun as suggested above.

Nice work!
[Image: i6coee.jpg]
Easy to repoint with a bench vice, small slim 7” prybar and a hammer. Dart point in vice about an inch from end with point exposed the thickness of prybar. Lever barrel off point (very little force required). Tap new point in, I used a piece of hardwood under point and on top of barrel.

I eventually bought a repointer for travelling when they went on sale at Darts Corner. I can now change points for friends when I go out of town. Not everyone has a bench vise.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Repointing Hudd24 13 1,852 02-26-2018, 09:45 PM
Last Post: ChrisTheFish
  Drill Depths : Adrian Lewis G2 23g v 21g portsetonloyal 2 539 01-16-2018, 09:19 AM
Last Post: portsetonloyal
  Repointing Darts efallon 4 1,565 09-20-2017, 02:56 AM
Last Post: Cat
  Repointing Question Paggu 3 490 06-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Last Post: Paggu
  Repointing dblalock1983 17 2,196 12-10-2016, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Gazzabnorthern
  Home drill modification. Ni518079 6 1,926 04-25-2014, 11:53 AM
Last Post: DIRTY G