Tips and help for a good throwing style
My little guide for a good throwing technique starts with a strong recommendation to read this (credits to Karlheinz Zöchling):
https://www.dartbase.com/technics.htm

The most important thing is this graphic visualization:
[Image: throw.gif]

You can also find nearly the same thing with a different visualization from Harrows:
[Image: 567009c173b210834eded0d6_darts_throw_mechanics.jpg]

These mechanic are the basics and not negotiable.
This is definitely a “form over function” approach but good luck in finding a professional player who does not use these principles.

After the image above the author continues with DOs and DON'Ts which you should read, try to understand, try to use but don't treat them as a holy bible.
I share most of them but not all completely.
I firmly believe that some things behind the mechanical basics are not universal but personal.

Here are my further thought and tips:

Wrist snap
The wrist snap is another acceleration.
I don't believe that you can throw completely without using your wrist, you will do it only unconscious.
Clutch your wrist with the other hand and make a throwing motion; the wrist moves the hand forward.
The last impulse you give the dart will come from your fingers powered by the wrist and this will determine if you hit the treble.
The more you use your wrist consciously the more you will notice that the importance of this movement and the more control you will gain.

Follow-through
Since you have two acceleration movements you also have two follow-throughs.
My definition of a follow-through is simple:  To let the limbs continue the started movement.
The forearm does not stop before it points to the target and the hand does not stop before it points to the target.
If you have or want to have a strong wrist snap then continue the hand movement until the fingers point downwards.

Pullback
Since you have two acceleration movements you can also have two pullbacks, forearm and wrist.
If you do both it will be a steeper learning curve to hit reliable the target, the complexity of the complete movement increases.
Just be aware of it.

Focus
Concentrate/focus the hardest when you accelerate the dart.
This is especially important if you aim before throwing.
I see so much players concentrate like hell before the throw and then lose the focus in just the moment the dart begins its way to the board.
Never ever lower your concentration on the target before you have finished the throw.
And with 'finished' it should be obvious that I mean the follow-through.
The worst case can be often seen with the third dart if someone starts to move to the board before he even finished his pullback.

Mirror Training
Stand in front of a big mirror and do your throwing movement for a few minutes.
Switch between front- and sideways.
That's it.

I bet you'll discover a few oddities.
Something like a strange arm movement.
Correct the flaws until it looks better and cleaner and then continue to train normally.
I do it once a week and it really helps me a lot.

Quick release
When you release the dart, do it fast, very fast, like a snap of the fingers just in another direction and open your fingers wide.
I often had the problem that a dart suddenly tumbled through the air.
It was often because a finger touched the dart by/after the release and gave it a wrong impulse.
If you have a finger under the dart to stabilize it, it gets more complicated.
This finger will kick the dart in the wrong direction when you open your hand. So don't move this finger at all or much later.
True, Always twisted my arm to get it in front of my eye. If I throw sideways, the elbow is straight. Would not have noticed it without a mirror.

Gesendet von meinem moto x4 mit Tapatalk
I just pimped up my little guide; I'm sure it can help understand some biomechanical basics.
Some good tips here.

I watched this video yesterday and there were some interesting points mentioned too.

The 90 degrees, what is that in relation to?

I don't find it possible to have the dart in my eyeline with my arm in that position.
[Image: lMaqREa.png]
Great guide that I somehow missed first time round!

+1
[Image: 5GPKrWp.png]

B: 25g   S: Medium   F: Standard   180s: 1/25
(05-12-2020, 12:09 PM)21/41 Wrote: I’m assuming they are ‘The Darts Corner’ own brand. Though I’m probably totally wrong. Either way I pulled the trigger on these dart this morning so hoping to get them soon.

(05-13-2020, 11:49 AM)Hazza Wrote: The 90 degrees, what is that in relation to?

I don't find it possible to have the dart in my eyeline with my arm in that position.

To the ground. I totally agree with you. The length of the forearm and how much you bend you wrist backwards will be very different why I assume this should be seen as a rule of thumb and nothing more.
GAME ON SINCE JAN 2020
[Image: J2cN4ka.png]
Maximums: 5 Highest checkout: 132 [SB-T19-Bull] Best leg: 20 darts
Darts: Harrows Black I.C.E. 22g / Winmau Steve Beaton Phase 1 22g / DPC Optimum 22g / Target Nathan Aspinall 22g 
(05-13-2020, 12:17 PM)jt4527 Wrote: Great guide that I somehow missed first time round!

+1
Thank you, but you haven't missed anything because it was just a few loose tips before. Smile

(05-13-2020, 11:49 AM)Hazza Wrote: The 90 degrees, what is that in relation to? 

I suppose you mean something in combination with the position of your upper arm like "the upper arm should be parallel to the ground and the forearm in 90° angle to it" which I've read a few times somewhere.

Oops, now i found it in the Harrows image Big Grin
Just ignore it, this is not necessary since this will not work for everybody, it's not an universal law.
I was never sure about which was 'correct' - keeping the elbow fixed or moving the elbow up as shown by the OP - because they each have their different proponents. Wayne Mardle, for example, espouses keeping the elbow fixed in place, but if you look at Rod Harrington's "My throw" series on YouTube, literally every single player moves their elbow up during release. Perhaps when players mention about keeping the elbow fixed, it's a roundabout way of saying don't drop your elbow. Not sure.

For the mirror training, I just put my phone on a tripod and record in slow motion. If there was a mirror, I'm sure that a few self conscious movements would creep in that wouldn't be there naturally during a normal throw.

+1 btw
I recently put a tall mirror directly under the board to do some mirror training

Yikes , i messed up my throw for a week trying to straighten up that elbow .

At first i made a video from under and my arm was probably at 9PM lol (say 90degrees is midnight)

I was completely avoiding blocking my vision. It looked god awful from video , I had to get a mirror and see. I slowly started bringing the arm up and straightening it out after watching some of “my throws 2.0” and I am no where near any of they’re arm positions LOL ...I still draw to centre of face .

When I finally got the arm straight enough, I did it by adjusting my stance, leaning forward a bit and drawing to my right eye. Which is significantly better then previous; to my left cheek or left side of chin!! Also keeping my chin up and head straight really helped also.

The mirror training is good technique but make sure you are seeing results from the tweaks.
Really interesting thread so it gets a +1 from me. I don't think there is enough discussion on these types of topics in darts. It's very much do what comes natural to you. What if you aren't a natural? Some of us need to work on the mechanics for us to stand a chance at playing well and making the game enjoyable.

For me, I aim the dart with my arm in the rough, desired release location, instead of having my forearm vertical my arm is more outstretched when aiming. Then the dart comes back along the intended trajectory to the centre of my eyes. The point ends up pointing just above my target as I throw quite a shallow trajectory.

I've never given acceleration or wrist snap a thought. I pull back very slowly, which I see is a fairly common trait of professionals for what ever reason, so a fluid accelerating forward phase comes fairly easy.

The fixed pendulum movement Vs the piston movement is a touchy subject for anyone into pool. Causes ridiculous arguments on the pool forums. In darts I've never given it a thought. When I started learning the game I was focused on getting a flight that was as shallow as possible and the only way to get that without throwing really hard was to slightly drop the elbow on the pull back and raise the elbow slightly as I release.

As for the release - I think it's impossible to consciously time it, so why bother trying. Light to medium grip and the release will happen naturally. Let the subconscious go to work on this mechanism.

Follow through - I have a fairly weak follow through. Simply put it looks like I could follow through more, but I'm not the most flexible person in the world so it feels like I'm fully extending but for those watching it looks like I could extend more. What I'd give for a follow through like Rob Cross, but at the end of the day I physically can't do it. A really long extended follow through is a thing of beauty but isn't something a person should spend a lot of time working on. It's more a byproduct of good acceleration, so for those struggling work on acceleration rather than follow through.

All in all the guide is excellent. If you aren't a natural at the game then understanding the physics and biomechanics of the game can be really beneficial.