Money saving tip for beginners
Lets say you want to start playing darts and have a tight budget (not for collectors Blush ).

You can start reading darts reviews ... doing that you'll have an idea of what's on the market.
BUT don't buy your darts only because they have a very good evaluation in a review.

My tip:
Go to a local shop, where you can have a throw with several models and weights. Maybe you'll pay a little bit more in comparison with an online store, but you'll end up with only one set where you know you feel comfortable with.

I hadn't played for more then 20 years, when I recently started playing again.
I searched the world wide web ... and was quickly overwhelmed by the amount of brands, barrel types, shafts lengths, flights shapes ....
In that search I was lucky to find:
  • this fantastic forum which is a gigantic source of darts information
  • A local shop where I could test many darts before buying a good set for me
If this still doesn't fit your budget, try to find you darts second-hand, but always test them before you buy!
Good advice, I wish I'd done the same when I started out! I bought some online and they suited me quite well but it was only after trying a couple more sets I realised that other styles worked better for me.

If you don't have a local shop you can always visit our sponsors Darts Clearance too, they have some great barrels for around £10 delivered free in the UK, which you could always try and swap on here if you find they don't suit you. I wouldn't worry too much about weight to start with, just think about the way you naturally grip the darts which will hopefully give you an idea about the shape and where you want the grip to be.
Monster Helios 3 22g
Short black L Style carbon silent stems 
Black shape L Style flights 
Gold champagne caps 
Unfortunately for most of us, local shops don't exist anymore.
Like mentioned above not everyone has a local shop, online shopping is fine there's plenty of good value darts to try that wont break the budget
Good advice, but as has been mentioned, a lot of people are lucky to have a shop near them where they can try things before they buy; and even if they have a shop, the shop won't let them actually throw the darts Sad

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=1500

This thread has excellent advice about buying your first set(s) of darts and it can be summed up by buying a set of Bristow style darts, and a set of John Lowe style darts. Weight is difficult, but in John Lowe's book "The Art of Darts" he recommends 23g, and he could play! The place to experiment when you first start is with stem lengths and flight shapes.
B: 21g   S: Intermediate   F: Shape   180s: 2
(03-19-2019, 04:18 PM)jt4527 Wrote: Good advice, but as has been mentioned, a lot of people are lucky to have a shop near them where they can try things before they buy; and even if they have a shop, the shop won't let them actually throw the darts Sad

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=1500

This thread has excellent advice about buying your first set(s) of darts and it can be summed up by buying a set of Bristow style darts, and a set of John Lowe style darts. Weight is difficult, but in John Lowe's book "The Art of Darts" he recommends 23g, and he could play! The place to experiment when you first start is with stem lengths and flight shapes.

That is a good thread.  We link to it in the 'Darts for Beginner's Quick Reference Guide', located here:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=34012

If anyone sees something that should be included in that guide, feel free to post in the thread.

cheers...
AN additional tip to those new starting out, who may have a bit of an addictive personality,

Darts is extremely fun, and having access (darts corner +Internet )to dozen of manufacturers premium darts with beautifull fancy darts makes it very easy to get caught up trying to find a dart that will just naturally float into your target with no effort.

Over 8 months I’ve ordered 13 sets , majority premium  , and just attracted to the fancy allure and assumed they would solve my issues and bring me tons by the bucket loads .

Now I’m stuck with 13 sets and have to choose one set to ultimately. MAKe my match set.

I put my self back money ,and time due to this mistake.

Choose wisely and take time , learn the game and checkouts and practice games with you’re one comfortbsle set, any dart you put in thr hours with, will ultimately become your most natural go to dart. And there’s is no reason to get a new dart, instead, play practice games, play opponent so better than you

I’ve got 13 sets, 3-4 of the, upwards $100 and two of them over $100..

ANd right now , my best sets were under $40 lol! I have to sit here and protect my collection every night thst I don’t even use!

[Image: E67EwOj.jpg]
Save some money, order all flights and stems online from DC, VERY CHEAP, DESIGNS NYLON. And designs, or mckicks darts or even select the price scale on darts corner for what you want To spend, i guarentee you’ll find lots of options
Also see if any mates have got spare sets kicking around that you could try.
(03-19-2019, 04:10 PM)bkbum Wrote: Unfortunately for most of us, local shops don't exist anymore.
I doubt that truer words were ever spoken.   For the >90% of us who don’t have access to a local dart shop, leagues can help with getting a chance to try out other darts.   

If you have any leagues near you, join up and do league shooting.   When I was in the dart buying mode (years ago now), I was shooting in a league.   The hour before league officially started was when people would show up early and do some practicing.   That was a great time to try other peoples darts out for a couple quick turns and get a basic idea of how other darts felt and worked.
(06-22-2019, 04:24 AM)CalixNL Wrote: .....  Over 8 months I’ve ordered 13 sets  .....  Now I’m stuck with 13 sets and have to choose one set to ultimately  .....  I put my self back money ,and time due to this mistake  .....  I’ve got 13 sets... ANd right now , my best sets were under $40 lol! I have to sit here and protect my collection every night thst I don’t even use!  .....
This is the story of many of us here.   I’ve still got a dozen sets of darts left over from my dart buying days that I almost never use, and that’s after having already sold off another 8 or 9 sets.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Useful Bobby George video for beginners. Boneshaker 11 865 11-29-2018, 01:40 AM
Last Post: Boneshaker
  my way for beginners part 3 nightcrawler 11 2,702 09-19-2018, 05:27 PM
Last Post: woodmagnet
  my way for beginners part2 nightcrawler 13 2,648 09-19-2018, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Kavel
  my way for beginners part 1 nightcrawler 19 4,343 09-02-2018, 01:34 PM
Last Post: Godfather4074
  my way for beginners part 8 nightcrawler 9 1,861 08-30-2018, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Kolby Irving
  my way for beginners part 7 nightcrawler 8 2,031 08-30-2018, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Kolby Irving
  my way for beginners part 10 nightcrawler 10 1,629 07-29-2018, 12:01 AM