Can't Break 50
After a long break from darts (25 years) in 8 months its 48. It all breaks down at the end, taking 9 darts to double out some times and watching a 68 turn into a 44.
    My double practice is throwing no more than 6 darts at a double and going to the next number(hit it or not). Should you throw till you hit your double in practice? I have heard to practice finishing, 20,10,5 etc. At this point something has to change but I am not sure what to do.Thanks, Dave
If you use something like Pro-Darter to track your 501 games you'll be able to see what you doubling percentage is over a length of time, not just one match.

On Pro-Darter I throw consistently 60-70 PPT and my doubling percentage is normally around 22%. Some days I'll be up around 30% but when you consider the Pros are generally around 40% you need to be realistic.

And we lesser players will always have those legs where it takes forever to finish; it's just a fact of life at our level.

In terms of practice there are plenty of threads on here. My preference is to throw at doubles as you would in a game of 501 so if I miss inside I have to deal with whatever's left and not just throw at the same double. My opponent generally won't let me go 20-20-Tops when I have 40 left!

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
Banz, Thanks for your time, throwing as we speak, will try some 20,10, 5 finishing techniques.Thanks again.
(03-14-2019, 06:41 AM)Dave1880 Wrote: After a long break from darts (25 years) in 8 months its 48. It all breaks down at the end, taking 9 darts to double out some times and watching a 68 turn into a 44.
    My double practice is throwing no more than 6 darts at a double and going to the next number(hit it or not). Should you throw till you hit your double in practice? I have heard to practice finishing, 20,10,5 etc. At this point something has to change but I am not sure what to do.Thanks, Dave

Yes, you should. How else will you gain confidence that you can hit your double when it counts?
Sorry, I disagree.
There is no point in slogging away at a double until you hit it, it's pointless, how can you repeat that process in a game.
Forget about doubles and practice A1, the ability to switch between different targets, will help you with doubles, it will also improve the rest of your game.
If you want to practice doubles, use Bob's 27 in easy mode, ie don't bother about going negative and carry on to the end.
IMO, not hitting doubles is mostly in your head, not caring whether or not you hit the double will, strangely, help you hit more doubles.
Bob's 27 thanks GT50!! It does seem that if your up 3 games on a guy your doubles come fairly easy. Not to say bkbum is wrong, maybe hammer double 20 or a favorite double. Thanks for the help, I know your time is valuable.
An update. If it ain't working change it right? After looking at everything my grip was a two finger instead of three. On the back stroke my ring finger was coming off the dart leaving thumb and index only on the release. I moved the offending finger to the top. Hit the wall a few throws but anything to quit throwing 41/45/26. Around the world with the big beds!!
It will be interesting to see how long it takes to reach the upper 40's again. Cheers.