Pitting barrels in bleach to add grip
Does anyone do this?
Ie soaking barrels in bleach to pit them thus increasing their grip
I put mine to soak in hot water and washing powder, did have a vibrating jewellery cleaner but it died. Good scrub after a soak and job done. Do it with any used trade darts I get too.
p[Image: GEpKdcf.png] 
Current Board 
ONE80 Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore  charcoal flights and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average                 

(03-12-2019, 10:44 AM)ChrisTheFish Wrote: I put mine to soak in hot water and washing powder, did have a vibrating jewellery cleaner but it died. Good scrub after a soak and job done. Do it with any used trade darts I get too.

Same here, mild cleaner/hot water soak and a toothbrush make easy work and there like brand new!

Cheers
180’s
2018 - 0
2019 - 14
2020 - 3

Iv’e been working on my accuracy. I’ve gone from 53.6% to 92.8% getting 3 darts in the foam ring around my Winmau !
Do you mean that bleach would affect the tungsten and make them grippier, rather than just cleaning them?

I haven't heard this but would be interested if anyone has tried it.
Madhouse Customs 23.8g
L Style flights & stems
Unicorn Volute points
I thought it was more of a cleaning the pits/grooves question.
I’m not sure bleach would attack the tungsten and if it does would likely be fairly even over the surface.

I’ve used ammonium persulfate to remove copper (circuit board design) and using a sharpie will help protect the surface for a short period (allowing exposed areas to etch). So you could possibly create a designed ‘etch’ this way. Epoxy would protect the areas better, but would be tedious to apply and then remove.

I have an ‘orphan’ Dart I could likely try this on . . . hmmmm

Cheers
180’s
2018 - 0
2019 - 14
2020 - 3

Iv’e been working on my accuracy. I’ve gone from 53.6% to 92.8% getting 3 darts in the foam ring around my Winmau !
I haven’t done it, but wouldn’t have thought bleach would corrode tungsten at all. Then again J wouldn’t have thought alum would dissolve steel points, so who knows, lol. Give it a go.
Thumbs Up 

Okay ED180 , here is the ‘orphan’ pre-dip.
I’ll do 3 iterations @ 3 hours each dropping about a 1/4 inch each time so I should end with 3 attempted ‘etch’s’ at 3,6 &9 hours.

I have my doubts it will do anything , but who knows!

Cheers
180’s
2018 - 0
2019 - 14
2020 - 3

Well here is the dart after it’s bleach soak.
The nose and point up to the first set of rings is 9 hours.
The first set of rings into the beginning of the smooth section 6 hours.
The smooth section with the ‘G’ 3 hours.

There is no pitting in the barrel or the points, but you can see where the ‘finish or years old oxidation’ has been removed. You can actually see a slight line where the level of bleach was added for the next 3 hour session.
As well the lead rings are clean ,crisp and shiny compared to the upper section..
I would think if I soaked the whole barrel for 12 hours, it would likely take on a brushed stainless look (like the nose section on the front).
When it was removed from the bleach it had a brownish black colouring which easily wiped away with a damp cloth.

I’m going to try some ammonia persulphate next week.

Cheers
180’s
2018 - 0
2019 - 14
2020 - 3

Surely this can only work on natural tungsten barrels. Wouldn't be trying this with any titanium coated barrels.

Does this make the dart grip any more?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Improving Grip On Smooth Barrels Paul Durrant 6 866 07-18-2019, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Laconic