How to practise outshots?
I currently practise outshots by having 3 darts at each outshot from 170 down to 60, but I find my way pretty boring and was just wondering how you guys practise your outshots?
(03-06-2019, 05:59 PM)DartsMadRyan Wrote: I currently practise outshots by having 3 darts at each outshot from 170 down to 60, but I find my way pretty boring and was just wondering how you guys practise your outshots?

I posted my routine earlier this afternoon Big Grin

My new finishing game
I've posted this a few times so sorry to repeat for this thread.

I do a lot of woodworking and always have scrap wood left over. I took some stock and made small wooden squares like Scrabble tiles and used a black permanent marker to write down numbers from 41 to 100 on these tiles. I place them in a can and reach in and grab one and that is my outshot.

What I want to do is if I don't hit the out, at least leave myself on a one dart shot, so I have to be on an even number for my next shot. Say I have 76 and hit a S-20 leaving 56, I throw for the S-16 to leave 40, but if I stray into the 7 and hit a single I have 49 left. My last dart will be at a S-17 to leave D-16, and if I hit that, I shoot for the D-16 out, but if I again stray and hit a S-2 leaving 45, I start again on the 76.

So, if I leave myself on an odd number after my 3 darts, I start over with the number I began with as a sort of penalty for missing a set-up shot.

What I like about the 41-100 numbers is all of them are 2 dart out shots with the exception of the 99. The only 2 dart out shots over 100 are the 101, 104, 107 and 110 that all finish on the Bull.
(03-06-2019, 05:59 PM)DartsMadRyan Wrote: I currently practise outshots by having 3 darts at each outshot from 170 down to 60, but I find my way pretty boring and was just wondering how you guys practise your outshots?

As for outshots, I'd recommend either Catch 40 or just simple game called 60. The Catch 40 is more structured and if you're using some apps or programs you can follow your own progress. You can try my excels (see my sig).

The 60 game is the simplest way how to practice outshots. You start on 60 points and you've got three darts to checkout this score. If you succeed, then add 10 points and continue on 70. If you don't succeed, go one point down and continue on 59. And so on. For me it usually means a half an hour or so of finishing scores between 70 and 110...
(03-06-2019, 06:23 PM)jacquesdebohun Wrote:

I posted my routine earlier this afternoon Big Grin

My new finishing game

Yeah, I read your thread about a  minute after posting this thread.

Your method seems a good way to practise I will definitely give it a go
(03-06-2019, 06:38 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: I've posted this a few times so sorry to repeat for this thread.

I do a lot of woodworking and always have scrap wood left over.   I took some stock and made small wooden squares like Scrabble tiles and used a black permanent marker to write down numbers from 41 to 100 on these tiles.    I place them in a can and reach in and grab one and that is my outshot.    

What I want to do is if I don't hit the out, at least leave myself on a one dart shot, so I have to be on an even number for my next shot.  Say I have 76 and hit a S-20 leaving 56, I throw for the S-16 to leave 40, but if I stray into the 7 and hit a single I have 49 left.   My last dart will be at a S-17 to leave D-16, and if I hit that, I shoot for the D-16 out, but if I again stray and hit a S-2 leaving 45, I start again on the 76.

So, if I leave myself on an odd number after my 3 darts, I start over with the number I began with as a sort of penalty for missing a set-up shot.

What I like about the 41-100 numbers is all of them are 2 dart out shots with the exception of the 99.   The only 2 dart out shots over 100 are the 101, 104, 107 and 110 that all finish on the Bull.

I like your method too, and I will be giving it a try tomorrow.  

How long do you practise on outshots?

Thanks for your help.
(03-06-2019, 07:50 PM)DartsMadRyan Wrote: I like your method too, and I will be giving it a try tomorrow.  

Thanks for your help.

Well, not as much now as a while ago since my stepson is in town looking for a job and occupying the man cave at the moment.   He did finally land one and starts in a week, then a month of salary saved up to get his own apartment.

Prior to that, I'd practice a 2-3 times a week alone and have a nice 2-3 hour session with a good friend of mine on Fridays over some cocktails and lies.

I'd practice 3 areas when alone.     Scoring, throwing at Cricket numbers----which also translates well into the 01 side of the game, and out shots.    Probably equal time on each aspect over the course of about 1 1/2 hours time.
(03-06-2019, 06:40 PM)elevendarter Wrote:

As for outshots, I'd recommend either Catch 40 or just simple game called 60. The Catch 40 is more structured and if you're using some apps or programs you can follow your own progress. You can try my excels (see my sig).

The 60 game is the simplest way how to practice outshots. You start on 60 points and you've got three darts to checkout this score. If you succeed, then add 10 points and continue on 70. If you don't succeed, go one point down and continue on 59. And so on. For me it usually means a half an hour or so of finishing scores between 70 and 110...

I've not heard of them games before but I will be giving them a try. What app do I need to play them? 

Will those spreadsheets work with open office or do I need microsoft office?  Thanks for your help
(03-06-2019, 07:56 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 07:50 PM)DartsMadRyan Wrote: I like your method too, and I will be giving it a try tomorrow.  

Thanks for your help.

Well, not as much now as a while ago since my stepson is in town looking for a job and occupying the man cave at the moment.   He did finally land one and starts in a week, then a month of salary saved up to get his own apartment.

Prior to that, I'd practice a 2-3 times a week alone and have a nice 2-3 hour session with a good friend of mine on Fridays over some cocktails and lies.

I'd practice 3 areas when alone.     Scoring, throwing at Cricket numbers----which also translates well into the 01 side of the game, and out shots.    Probably equal time on each aspect over the course of about 1 1/2 hours time.

At the moment I practise first going around the board in singles, then I would play best out of 9 legs of 501 against the computer, then I would play around the board in doubles, and next I would practise 3 darts at outshots starting with 170 down to 60, an finally I would play best of 5 legs at 501 against the computer.

Is this a good practise routine?
I'm using the Dartsmind app. It has a section to practice checkouts...you set the range (ie. 60-100, 60-140) and then it randomly chooses a number. Also tracks your progress, stats, percentages, etc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My current practise routine madhouse 4 505 08-17-2018, 07:16 PM
Last Post: jjm
  Optimised practise routine for the beginner/intermediate skinnygav 2 387 07-10-2018, 08:00 AM
Last Post: Nic Báéíóúrd
  Random outshots Ed180 6 291 11-24-2017, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Banz
  Outshots and doubles game Joe Garofalo 5 741 03-06-2017, 03:34 AM
Last Post: Joe Garofalo
  Practise rings Bounce Out 5 1,545 05-28-2015, 02:26 PM
Last Post: Munchie
  stuck on practise jord 17 3,035 06-24-2014, 06:49 PM
Last Post: *Saber*